Archie's boys living large

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I think Rod Lakin does a good job, especially with the draft coverage. I'm biased though, I love the draft.

For the record I do like Luke Kohler's reports. Jurecki is still my favorite, but I think Kohler did a pretty good job in his place in his first year.

Gambo however just plain sucks. If I want to tune in to the latest boxing or hockey coverage, he's the guy. Football.... that becomes one of the worst shows on the air. That's no slight on lrk27, it's Gambo and Ash that I can't stand listening to. Ash has absolutely no backbone in defending Arizona sports from Gambo's holier than thou NYC ********. It drives me nuts.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lrk27
Believe it or not, there are more than three people (Somers, Urban, Jurecki) that are involved in what the Cards do. And people who work together (Bickley and Somers) talk to each other. Dan does not throw speculation out and label it as fact. He will speculate and tell you so, but won't call it fact. I know you go to the facility for practice and press conferences, but there is media there every day getting information. More than you think. The local media is not as 'out of it' as some would make you believe.

Ok, maybe I am biased against him, I give. He sure does make it easy to dislike him

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike the media in general we are fans first and foremost, so we have a slightly different motivation than some of them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
We don't have the "latter", we have hacks who can't make it in other major markets so they come here. There has been a few things positive worth writing about and they ignore it. They write about how much of a Saint Colangelo is and how the Bidwills are pure concentrated evil....when if you look at the history it is the exacty opposite.

you are outta your friggin' mind.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz
Bickley is lazy. Plain and simple. Just look at his comments the other day on his radio show about the Cards being "too cheap" to pay for quality assistants and that they spent all their money on the head coach.

Did he back up his statements with facts? No. That is vintage Bickley.

a) just b/c he doesn't present the facts does not mean that he does not have them.

b) you're assuming he's wrong. what's wrong with him making an assumption (that is much closer to the historical truth of the organization) compared to your making an opposite assumption (that's based in a lesser reality)?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They couldn't care less that most Arizona sports fans can't stand the guy.

ASSUMPTION ALERT! ASSUMPTION ALERT! NO ASSUMPTIONS ALLOWED ON THIS BOARD! WHERE ARE YOUR FACTS AND EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THIS STATEMENT!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Wow. We're really being blessed by these big time media guys giving us their personal insight. First, we had Rod ("I'm Rod Lakin and you're not!") Lakin from ESPN860, and now someone who can actually touch, see and smell Gambo and Asher everyday!

I thought anything not backed up with a source, even an anonymous one, is speculation. Especially in a column. But, I don't have big time journalism degrees like these guys do. I'm glad they are here to set us straight on who we have to believe.

wow, nice to be a jerk. i'm sure more journalists, who have better access to the team, and thus information, than most of us, will be scrambling to come on this board with comments like these . . . sheesh.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
ASSUMPTION ALERT! ASSUMPTION ALERT! NO ASSUMPTIONS ALLOWED ON THIS BOARD! WHERE ARE YOUR FACTS AND EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THIS STATEMENT!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Find me a fan of Arizona sports who is a fan of Gambo. I've never met one and I live here.

And I'm sorry I upset your love affair with Bickley. When a guy says the Cards are "too cheap" to pay their assistants and he doesn't back it up by saying that he talked to anyone in the Cardinals organization or another coach who was low-balled by the Cards then he is making an assumption and passing it off as a fact. Something Bickley does all the time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Find me a fan of Arizona sports who is a fan of Gambo. I've never met one and I live here.

And I'm sorry I upset your love affair with Bickley. When a guy says the Cards are "too cheap" to pay their assistants and he doesn't back it up by saying that he talked to anyone in the Cardinals organization or another coach who was low-balled by the Cards then he is making an assumption and passing it off as a fact. Something Bickley does all the time.

dude, the "i live here" line holds no water with me. i grew up in phx and only moved to socal 2 and 1/2 years ago, so "i lived there" during gambo's time. it's not about being a "fan" of a sportscaster, it's listening to them for news or interesting insight. if you don't like him, don't listen. why do you listen to him?

and i have no love affair with bickley. i think, as an editorial writer he's just stirring the pot with thoughts. as a fan you can accept or reject them, but to question his integrity (and let's face it, that's what you're doing) is ridiculous. if he is so lacking in integrity he'd never hold down a job.

but go ahead, keep making inflammatory remarks. even to me. i don't care, i think your conspiracy theories about he media are hysterical. yeah, everyone's out to get the cardinals. they care that much.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, nice to be a jerk. i'm sure more journalists, who have better access to the team, and thus information, than most of us, will be scrambling to come on this board with comments like these . . . sheesh.

I was being serious.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I don't think that anyone is saying that people are getting low-balled. I think that when someone says that the Cards are "cheap" when it comes to coaches is because they don't even TRY to compete (or, more appropriately, haven't in the past) for top-quality offensive and defensive assistants. Do you really think that the best DC candidate in the country JUST HAPPENED TO BE the guy that was the HC for the team in whose stadium the Cards were playing!? That Jerry Sullivan was the best and brightest offensive mind available to the Cards last offseason?

Dave Mac was one of the three lowest-paid head coaches during his tenure here. I'll almost guarantee you that the defensive line coach in Tampa was making more than Sullivan was as OC last year.

If you're car shopping, you don't have to test drive a Maserati to know that it's out of your price range. It's the same with the Cards bringing in Daewoos on their coaching staff for the past decade or so.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
dude, the "i live here" line holds no water with me. i grew up in phx and only moved to socal 2 and 1/2 years ago, so "i lived there" during gambo's time. it's not about being a "fan" of a sportscaster, it's listening to them for news or interesting insight. if you don't like him, don't listen. why do you listen to him?

and i have no love affair with bickley. i think, as an editorial writer he's just stirring the pot with thoughts. as a fan you can accept or reject them, but to question his integrity (and let's face it, that's what you're doing) is ridiculous. if he is so lacking in integrity he'd never hold down a job.

but go ahead, keep making inflammatory remarks. even to me. i don't care, i think your conspiracy theories about he media are hysterical. yeah, everyone's out to get the cardinals. they care that much.

I don't listen to Gambo. And you're right, Bickley is stirring the pot with his speculation and his constant "same old Cards" columns. His "reporting" is very weak.

And if you want to talk about inflammatory posting, it all started with you on this thread. JUST GO BACK AND LOOK AT YOUR POSTS! :)

You are also the one who used the word "jerk" when referring to ajcardfan.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
People like and enjoy Gambo and Ash. I am personally not one of them, but Gambo pisses people off which is always good for ratings and he is like many other sports fans in Phoenix, a transplant and therefore is less inclined to only discuss local sports.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
This thread is just silly.

Dennis Green even if I don't like the guy isn't stupid enough to sign onto a team that would low ball assistants.

I am sure he hashed that point out when he interviewed and if he was satisfied with the answer then I am too.

He would already be making comments if he thought they were costing him who he wanted to hire.

I do not doubt in the past we have had the cheapest staffs in the NFL but I think hiring Dennis Green pretty much broke that pattern.