Are big name FA's worth the big money?

Are big name FA's worth the money and live up to the hype?

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. All signing bonus money is guaranteed. It is spread out over the length of the contract for salary cap purposes ... but the player receives all the signing bonus up front. If the team releases or trades the player before the contract is over then they must absorb a cap hit as the balance of the prorated bonus will be applied to their current salary cap.

Hey Jim Hart. You have a great board name from one of my all time favorite players. Welcome to the board.:thumbup:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, no, no.

23 Million gauranteed in media speak means signing bonus and all all other bonuses. And not all bonuses are are "Gauranteed". Roster bonuses are only gauranteed if you are on the roster after s specified date.

For example, lets take the 23 Mill amount given to Clements. And this is just an example, I dont have the exact amounts as of yet.

13 Mill of that 23 Mill is a signing bonus and he will get that the day he puts him name on the dotted line. Now that 13 Mill will be spread out over a 5 year period for cap purposes. Now there is a 5 Mill roster for the 7th year of the deal, and 5 Mill roster bonus for the 8th year of the deal. If Clements is off the team or injured anytime during that 6 year time span before the roster bonuses kick in the 7th and 8th year the Niners are only on the hook for the 13 Mill signing bonus and are not on the hook for the remaining 10 Mill due in roster bonuses becuase he was cut.

So when ever you see the media give out a 23Million gauranteed for a total of 80 Million, remember one thing, those are only total amounts if the player meets all every single requirement, it is not what the player will actually get.

See, Adam Schefter reported the following:

The 49ers have signed CB Nate Clements to the biggest contract ever given to a defensive player -- eight years, $80 million, including $22 million guaranteed

I guess I assumed that Guaranteed meant "Guaranteed" as in you are guaranteed that money no matter what. If you are correct then it isn't as bad as I thought.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
See, Adam Schefter reported the following:

The 49ers have signed CB Nate Clements to the biggest contract ever given to a defensive player -- eight years, $80 million, including $22 million guaranteed

I guess I assumed that Guaranteed meant "Guaranteed" as in you are guaranteed that money no matter what. If you are correct then it isn't as bad as I thought.

Media has been reporting it that way for years and confusing fans all along the way, and they are technically correct with the stipulation of "If they meet the requirements".

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
23 Mill gauranteed does not mean he will get all 23 Mill once he signs on the dotted line. It only means that 23 mill of the deal is bonuses. A lot of that 23 Mill wont kick in until the end of the deal and only if he is still on the team getting a roster bonus. So the 49ers are not screwed if he goes down, and they still have pelenty of cap space. I have seen the contract details and it is essentially a 6 year deal at 7.25 Mill a year. With big bonuses due in the 7th and 8th year of the deal if he is still on the team(part of it being in the 23 Mill amount the media is giving out). Clements will never see the full 23 Mill.

Let me put these new contracts in perspective for all of you. In just 2 years the cap has gone up 27.5%. It will go up another 6% or more next year. Why is everyone so surprises about these deals being handed out.
you sir are correct and 49ers still have 20-25 million left in cap space this year. :D