Are there any good FA Tight Ends out there?

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The list is not updated, but I am surprised the Cards haven't brought in a TE with experience. There are some guys on that list worth giving a shot.

Maybe the Cardinals are waiting for some summer cuts.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking that too. I'm really not sure why we don't bring in someone with experience. None of those guys are going to the probowl, but at least they can get us throught the year. Personally I think Cam Cleeland would be a good pickup. He played w/ Warner in St. Louis.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
We need a good one that can block.
Edwards can block and catch well enough. We might be pleasantly surprised in what we have in Bergen, too.

seesred

Reaction score
To tell you the truth I think we have 2 maybe 3 that will stand up real well. I know you would like to have strenght in every slot, but if I had to choose where we might get away with being a tad weak on this team...it's TE.

GBR

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
If the PHI TE rehabs well and is ready by training camp, he would be good, otherwise, you go to camp and see what you have. If it looks bad, then you bring in a guy like Cleeland. But not until the young guys on the team fail.

bleedblk&gld

Rookie
Reaction score
Well the Saints might be cutting either Boo Williams or Ernie Conwell. They're not the best of TE's but they get the job done.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rowen knows good tight ends. So, if he's content with what we have going into camp, I guess I'll accept our roster too.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
bleedblk&gld said:
BTW, what happened to Freddie????

We've all been asking ourselves that for the past few seasons.

If I remember right he signed with the Panthers. Good receiver but couldn't block a blitzing cheerleader if his job depended on it.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
bleedblk&gld said:
BTW, what happened to Freddie????
Freddie is a pure pass-catching TE and a terrible blocker.

Green's system is based on a blocking TE with hands - basicly an extra OL that can serve as a dump-off target for the QB.

They played Freddie in the new system and it was pretty clear that he was a terrible fit, so he wasn't re-signed.

(Hopes my explanation makes sense)

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Here's the list of available TE's from The War Room:

Cam Cleeland 6-5 270 6.6 Unrestricted St. Louis
Ken Dilger 6-5 250 5.8 Unrestricted Tampa Bay
Rickey Dudley 6-6 255 6.5 Unrestricted Tampa Bay
Bubba Franks 6-6 265 7.6 Transition Green Bay
Ryan Hannam 6-2 248 6.1 Restricted Seattle
Brian Kozlowski 6-3 250 6.3 Unrestricted Washington
Chad Lewis 6-6 252 7.0 Unrestricted Philadelphia
Jay Riemersma 6-5 256 6.5 Unrestricted Pittsburgh
Marcellus Rivers 6-4 250 6.2 Unrestricted NY Giants
Jed Weaver 6-4 258 6.3 Unrestricted New England

Don't know if it's 100% updated, but it's way better than ESPN's list above.
BTW- I guess Franks hasn't signed his tender, since he's on the list.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:
If the PHI TE rehabs well and is ready by training camp, he would be good, otherwise, you go to camp and see what you have. If it looks bad, then you bring in a guy like Cleeland. But not until the young guys on the team fail.

Even though Chad Lewis doesnt have a contract his name plate and lover are still intact at the philly training facility. If he is healthy, which rumor is will be in about a month he will return to Philly.

Unless a cut or someone comes up over the waiver wire, I say we just leave it alone to what we already got, unless the completly bomb in training camp, and if they do the same FA on the FA list right will most likely still be there, so there is no rush.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This offense needs a guy that can BLOCK and just catch the balls that hits him in the numbers. With Johnson, Boldin, and Fitzgerald out there, our tight end will get matched with a LB.
Wiggins on the Vikings is the perfect example. It seems every time he catches a pass there is nobody within 10 yards of him.

He catches it, turns and runs for a 10 yard gain. Thats all we need. A guy that will be an outlet when things are covered downfield.....and block.

spanky1

Reaction score
I'm liking Blizzard and Bergen as our 1-2 TE punch. They will get the job done just fine.....IMO, Bergen was a steal as a UDFA. If Rowen can teach this guy up, we are on to something.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
What if we signed Franks, OMFG! But I like Edwards I know he had less than 10 catches, but he's a pretty good blocker and doesn't act like Freddie and drop every ball thrown to him.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
What if we signed Franks, OMFG! But I like Edwards I know he had less than 10 catches, but he's a pretty good blocker and doesn't act like Freddie and drop every ball thrown to him.

1. We can't afford him AND give Boldin a new deal.

2. If G&G wanted to sign a big FA TE, then we would have made a run at Anthony Becht.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bleedblk&gld said:
Well the Saints might be cutting either Boo Williams or Ernie Conwell. They're not the best of TE's but they get the job done.
Ernie hasn't done what he needs to in NO (which is block). That combined with all of the promise Boo holds, I don't think that Williams will be getting his walking papers anytime soon.

But, if Boo Williams hits the market, it won't be long until he finds a home, and I'd LOVE it if it were AZ...I just don't think it's going to happen.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i say go for radar out of nfl europe. he played his college days at marshall with leftwich throwing him the ball. he is a free agent and he catches the ball pretty good, and does a decent job of blocking. i can't figure out why nobody has signed him.