Are you kidding me?!

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this game was definately worse. The expectations are higher this year than they were last year, this game wasn't really competitive (that one was double over time) and most importantly as you said it was the lakers.

Was it as worse as 2 years ago when we opened on TNT against CLE and gave up a 19 pt 4th QTR lead?

Phoenix played totally heartless. I get sick and tired of hearing DougCollins constantly talk about never giving up against the Suns. Know why? he's friggin right. This team has ZERO killer instinct. At least not until they are down to the wire. Life would be real easy if theyd just put teams away early like a pro team with this much talent should.

Diaw looked awful, Amare looked awful, no D no boards and too many TO's. It was 12 minutes of love and 36 of total crap.

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
The way they got abused inside by the Lakers seems like a bad sign........They put up no fight whatsoever, at any point after about midway through the 2nd quarter......I enjoy watching them when they play all free and easy and run around to open spots and move on offense and seem active on defense, but then there are games like this where they look like a rec league team that used to be really good and just figure they'll play the same way and they'll win more than they'll lose and that'll be fine with them....if they lose, 'heck, we tried, we just didn't have it tonight'.......

schutd, you're so right about the collins comment....i get so sick of hearing it too......they always let a team back in, every single time.....now, they don't always come back and beat the suns, but every team makes a run (isn't that steve levy's favorite line on espn?)

i know it's only one game, blah, blah, blah...but as a fan, the expectations before the first game are as good as it gets, then they play lights out for 12 minutes and you think, 'wow, this is gonna be fun,'.....then, poof, you're slapped back into reality and realize they still don't really care to make a stand defensively, and their free wheeling style is how it's gonna be all game, every game, every possession, all season.....they are what they are (insert crazy denny green quote here)......

here's to not embarrassing themselves at home tonight vs. EB and the rest of the clippers (if they thought bynum was tough, what will EB do to them????)

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
schutd, you're so right about the collins comment....i get so sick of hearing it too......they always let a team back in, every single time.....now, they don't always come back and beat the suns, but every team makes a run (isn't that steve levy's favorite line on espn?)

That's because the Suns as of last night still can't make stops. Someone needs to tell Banks, Bell, and James Jones that the only reason they are here is to play defense. Getting abused by the likes of Jordan Farmar, Maurice Evans, and Luke Walton certainly is not a good sign of things to come. The "we don't have to play good defense to win a championship" theory that permeated these boards all offseason is just that - a theory. Until someone actually does it then it will remain so.

nowagimp

Reaction score
The suns did almost nothing right defensively, they deserved to get their a__es kicked. Uncontested(or lightly contested) drives to the basket were numerous. Help D stunk, period, from Raja on down. Raja actually LEFT Farmar when he had the dribble and a clear drive to the hoop. This is not a James Jones or Marcus Banks problem, it was more widespread. Boris Diaw attempted 2 FG's in 30 minutes scored 4 pts and had 4 turnovers. Boris looks tired and listless, that I was not expecting. Amare looks like he is afraid of physical contact in the post, though he moved around better than I expected. Amare was a sieve on defense, bringing him in for KT was an invitation to a laker lane party. Of the positives, Barbosa played well except for the 4 turnovers and his inability to deal with Maurice Evans down low or even keep him off the offensive glass. The suns had 21 turnovers and gave up 12 offensive rebounds, many of which led to easy Laker baskets. They couldnt beat the Hawks with 21 turnovers. The ball may as well have been a greased pig, the way the suns turned it over in the second half. This may get uglier before it gets better. Jalen Rose sounds good about now.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Banks got too much time, but he wasn't that bad with the time he got. Had some defensive lapses, but otherwise, he did pretty well, especially near the end of the 1st/beginning of the 2nd when we didn't relinquish the lead.

Strangely, it was when Nash came back in that the lead shrunk.

Marcus Banks did well on individual offense. He created a shot for himself on more than a few occassions.

However, that's not his role. It's LB's. Banks is supposed to fill in for Nash and keep the offense flowing. Which it doesn't when he's on the perimeter trying to score himself.

For being acknowledged as a good defender at times he looked lost, appeared lazy, and unfamiliar with his role. It'll get better with more time with these guys.

If anybody remembers last season Kurt Thomas got off to a slow start and many were questioning his acquisition. After November KT became the player we had all expected.

Let's give Banks at least a month before throwing him under the bus.

James Jones however, it seems like he hasn't made a shot since May of last season. He better watch out or his PT will fade away. This team is designed to run when guys like him are hitting his shots.

Barbosa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all that said I was impressed with Farmar, Mo Evans, and Bynum. All solid choices. I believe it's not a reach to think Farmar and Bynum will be starters by season's end with Smush and Kwame coming off the bench.

Kwame will be the PF with Bynum at C. That's the way the Lakers staff wants it to go, at least.

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
i remember saying in the playoffs last season that jumpshots, whether contested or not vs. layups is usually a loss for the jumpershooters. i dont care if you start nash, ray allen, peja,michael red and brad miller, you cant be a team sooooooo dependent upon them. when they are falling, you look good, when they are not, you look like trash and combine that with giving up offensive rebounds= disaster. the thing is , you NEVER know when they will stop falling. its a recipe for major frustration for us if someone doesnt start balancing it out . someone needs to want to be inside and make buckets whether driving or posting up. as good as we shoot free throws, it would be a huge advantage to the suns to try to score in close where most fouls are committed. the struggle will continue if it doesnt change. and lets not even talk about defense.....
icon9.gif

Errntknght

Reaction score
The Lakers were the big story in this game - and, man, do I hate to say that. Bynum's progress was stunning - my prediction that he'd push Kwame aside by year's end was way off the mark. Evans was beating up on our guys on the boards, besides playing a good all around game. What was Detroit thinking to let him go? Farmar schooled Banks several times. Even Smush looked much improved. By the second quarter they were outrunning the Suns. All I can say is, hurry back Kobe so you can turn your teammates back into spectators.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Lakers looked good alright, but the rediculously-paved-with-gold lanes to the hoop the Suns left for their opponent was the story, in my book.