Arizona Cardinals' Offense 2015

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What we were deprived of seeing for much of this past season is the kind of free-wheeling offense Bruce Arians loves to employ. When QB Carson Palmer and RB Andre Ellington were healthy, this was a quick-strike offense that kept defenders on their heels and made them defend the entire length and width of the field.

When Palmer and Ellington were injured, Arians chose to don a far more conservative approach in an effort to keep games close and to allow the team's aggressive defense to create auspicious scoring opportunities and advantageous field position. Play calling became predictable and, in time, the offense, which was converting third downs with aplomb under Palmer and Ellington, was consistently trying to recover from negative yard plays on first and second down which resulted in an inordinate number of third and longs.

Compounding the third and long issues, was Arians' continued propensity to call on empty backfield sets which made the conversions much more pressure packed, time-wise, for lesser experienced QB's Drew Stanton and Ryan Lindley. As a result we saw a number of 3-4 yard quick passes under pressure that resulted in incompletions, dropped/deflected passes or tackles made well inside the chains.

As the offense became more conservative, it didn't appear as if Arians was trying nearly as much to exploit coverage mismatches, as Fitzgerald was not using his body to shield defenders nearly as well as he could have out of the slot, and mismatch nightmare John Brown was ignored for long stretches. Michael Floyd was still targeted for 2-3 downfield shots and out passes per game...but attempts to feed him passes over the middle resulted in skittish runs, sometimes backwards in nature and sometimes leading to turnovers.

The toughest receiver over the middle was Jaron Brown...but as the throws to him started coming out later rather than sooner, he was getting nailed upon each catch by converging DBs.

Ted Ginn Jr. was getting open opposite Floyd on out passes, but oddly was almost never posed or established as a deep threat.

The running game received a spark when Kerwynn Williams came in and started hitting the holes faster and refusing to go down on first contact. This was nice to see after watching an over-used and injured Ellington dive and crawl for yards in order to protect himself. Stepfan Taylor ran hard as well. Nothing fancy, but usually good for 3-4 yard blasts.

But the issue with the running game, as i see it, is the unnecessary complexity of it. What BA and Harold Goodwin prefer to do is run a series of trap plays, some straight up and some in misdirection. Part of the problem with these trap plays is that the Cardinals' interior linemen are not adept or athletic enough to run crisp and efficient trap blocks.

What other teams saw on tape was that they could key the guards and shoot the ILBers through vacated pulls and get into the backfield to disrupt the plays before they could get started or develop.

A classic example of this was in the playoff game versus Carolina on a key 3rd and 1, Arians called a counter dive to FB Robert Hughes. What happened was that C Lyle Sendlein blocked down on the DT to his left and got good movement. Initially that hole in the left gap was wide open thanks to Sendlein's good block. Had the play been a straight dive---it's an easy first down. But, Lindley pivots to his right to hand the ball off and by the time FB Hughes cuts back to the open hole, the ILB has shot the gap and meets Hughes in the hole for no gain---which leads to yet another Drew Butler punt.

The reason why Arians and Goodwin run so many pull and trap plays is that they are loath to use a FB. So what they are trying to do is free up an inside blocker who can get to the second level to block the LB. But here are the problems: (a) the LBs key and shoot the gaps to bust up the play before it can even get started; (b) the play takes too long to develop; (c) often times when the guard is able to turn the corner, it's hard to square up and get a good isolation block on the LB.

With a FB, iso blocks on the LB are faster and much more direct. ILBs need to be punished. If you let them run around in tuxedos all day, they will dance away with the victories.

In the NFC West---if you don't block Bobby Wagner, Patrick Willis or James Laurinaitis---chances are you are not going to have success running the football.

In this past week's playoff game the Cardinals rarely blocked Luke Kuechly or Thomas Davis---and thus made their jobs a piece of cake all game long. On one series the Cardinals ran two straight plays at Davis, who wasn't even breathed on by a blocker and thus davis dumped Kerwynn Williams for two 2 yard losses and forced a 3rd and 14 which led to another Drew Butler punt.

In 2015, the Cardinals are going to have to change the way they run the football, if they wish to have a balanced attack. The two TE, one RB sets were not effective, as teams loaded up the box and one or two defenders could get to the unprotected RB consistently quickly.

The Cardinals need to add and develop a FB. They also need to run a series a basic isolation plays (double team the DT and fire the FB straight at the ILB---or double team the DE and fire the FB straight at the OLB) and then sprinkle in some misdirection and trap plays---not the other way around.

Can Robert Hughes be that FB? He looks the part---but he's been spoiled this past year being used as a Larry Centers-type FB. We need a Bruce Miller type. It's possible Hughes can rise up and play that role, but it would be wise to go out and add a bruiser.

As a rookie, Stepfan Taylor made some big blocks in cameo appearances at the FB position. He would need to put on some weight to command that role. But, he has the toughness and the technique.

Moreover, Arians and Goodwin need to develop a mauler mentality up front. That's the next big major step for Jared Veldheer and Bobby Massie.

Hopefully, Jonathan Cooper will get in tip-top shape this year and be the dynamic factor he was drafted to be at LG. At C, Lyle Sendlein is solid. He's more physical than some give him credit for. But, he needs to be pushed for his starting job by a younger player.

At RG, Paul Fanaica is a banger at the point of attack, but he's more of a stand-his-man- up blocker than a hip roller. What the Cardinals really need is a RG who can sink his hips into his blocks, maintain his base (which Cooper struggled with this year---partly because he was reluctant to put too much stress on his leg) and root his man out of the hole.

At TE, two good potential blocking TEs are now on the roster in Darren Fells and Troy Niklas. Both of them made some progress as receivers in the short alley.

At RB, seeing as there are already two speedy options in Ellington and Williams, it would be good to bet a banger lead back in FA or the draft.

At WR, the most exciting improvement this year could very well be the more frequent use of Andre Ellington in the slot. Talk about mismatches, even versus the speedy Seahawks' LBs---Ellington should be able to shake and bake them with his quickness and quick cutting ability.

Adding another speed WR would help if Ted Ginn Jr. isn't one of the answers.

To finish on a very positive note---Arians and Goodwin did an excellent job this past year of improving the pass protection. That improvement should not
be under-recognized or under-appreciated. if there was one thing more than any other to improve, it was the pass protection.

This year it is time to build the high-flying Birdgang "Cardinal Tough" running game.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Which is exactly why the Cards need to go after Iupati or Carpenter in FA at OG. But unless Fitz or Dockett either take less $$$ or get axed that's a pipe dream.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i hope in big improvements
even with palmer the offense struggle to make more then 17 points

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think that the offense needs a few upgrades:

1. RB. As you said need a bruiser that can grind it out occasionally. Ellington and Williams will be fine as a tandem. I would keep Taylor also, although I think you are being generous that he was "usually good for 3-4 yard blasts". Not as high on the necessity of a FB as you are.

2. WR. Maybe two if Larry goes elsewhere. A slot guy (don't like Ellington being out there very often, if at all) and another speed guy. Could be via FA or draft.

3. OL. Got to get that right side settled. Fanaika, as tough as he can be, just isn't good enough IMO. Massey isn't all that either. I agree they need to bring in someone to push Sendlein.

The offense will be fine with a healthy CP and Ellington. Good enough to win 11 or 12 games IMO. It really doesn't need that much. Of course, if CP goes down early again it will be "rinse and repeat" of this season. Unless they find a more accurate backup than Stanton.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Doubt we'll see BASK adopt a running game that features the use of a fullback... Ya never know I guess, but if history holds true, it won't happen.

That said, we desperately need to become much more physical in the run game. The Cards are still a soft team at the point of attack. If BASK do not invest in a fullback, they will need to somehow fix this decades long problem some other way. Certainly, a dependable, rough and rugged back, a la Beast Mode, would be a big step in the right direction as presently - and astonishingly - we don't have an every down back on this roster! Or, even a RB that can be counted on to convert short yardage distances...
We need to seriously enhance our guard play as well!

At WR, I am very concerned about what will happen should Fitz depart. As I do not have nearly enough faith/trust that Floyd can step up and become our leader at the WR position.
And of course, TE, just like the problem with our running game, was again a major problem. Maybe Fells surfaces as a legit TE... I dunno... But it sure seems to be that our cupboards are bear - AGAIN, when we look for a NFL caliber TE.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
In 2015, the Cardinals are going to have to change the way they run the football, if they wish to have a balanced attack. The two TE, one RB sets were not effective, as teams loaded up the box and one or two defenders could get to the unprotected RB consistently quickly.

The Cardinals need to add and develop a FB. They also need to run a series a basic isolation plays (double team the DT and fire the FB straight at the ILB---or double team the DE and fire the FB straight at the OLB) and then sprinkle in some misdirection and trap plays---not the other way around.

Can Robert Hughes be that FB? He looks the part---but he's been spoiled this past year being used as a Larry Centers-type FB. We need a Bruce Miller type. It's possible Hughes can rise up and play that role, but it would be wise to go out and add a bruiser.

Good observation on the traps. While they may have been effective when Ellington was 100% and somewhat with how Williams was running later on, it wasn't effective in many crucial situations. Sometimes even on 1st downs. I do think the offensive staff needs to figure out what exactly their personnel is capable of doing best against the BeTTER D's And LB's out there.

It doesn't seem like they adapted the blocking schemes to who they were facing well enough.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Good analysis on the run game. I think the plays took way too long to develop. Also, I think that counter and misdirection runs work much better when you can run some power at them first to set the table. I do think that used correctly, Ellington can be a force on some of the cutback runs.

Also bummer we traded Anthony Sherman for essentially nothing a couple of years ago. Guy was a top-notch fullback and special-teamer. Even if he only got on the field for special teams and 3rd/4th down and short, he is a great weapon to have.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice job Mitch. I would really like to see the Cards go after Denver TE Virgil Green to pair with Fells. He has become the 4th best run-blocking TE in the NFL, and was already a solid and athletic (fast) pass receiver. He simply was rarely used as such with all the pass targets Denver had, and should be a steal and be a real break-out guy for us to match with Fells in 2 TE sets. These two can run block with the best of them, and both are decent receivers. (We would still have to find a solution to the FB situation.). I will look for one in the FA lists.

Meanwhile I do like the way that BA was so able to adjust his offense on the fly most of the time, (until Palmer was gone). Both he and Bowles made great in-game adjustments and half time adjustments most of the time.

I would love to see us have two reliable, (long term), young TEs like Fells and Green who can do both jobs, so that their presence in the game doesn't tip off play calls. Then a Banger FB would really even up the score when the opponent threw 8 in the box against us.

I am soooo ready to get this roster back up to snuff, and even improve on it this off-season. We seem to have a really good FA (second tier) to be able to work with this year, so as to set our draft up like we did last year. I am ready for BA&SK to do their magic again.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath waiting for Cooper to get in 'tip top ' shape.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Fells barely saw the field until Niklas got injured and put on IR,Fells developing into a regular TE......its a nice story but I doubt it.Maybe a decent backup TE.Niklas will be the best TE on the roster when he gets healthy.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Fells barely saw the field until Niklas got injured and put on IR,Fells developing into a regular TE......its a nice story but I doubt it.Maybe a decent backup TE.Niklas will be the best TE on the roster when he gets healthy.

Don't know about that. Fells was one of the very few bright spots in the last qtr. of the schedule and playoff game. He does it all. He deserves as much of a shot as Niklas, imo. They might play in tandem some of the times.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BA will not use a FB. He will change OCs before using a FB. He will use 3 TEs before he uses a FB. If Larry Centers was still on the team BA would convert him to a TE before he uses a FB.

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch-----Jasper might be right about the FB slot, but just in case BA would be accepting to one, then Henry Hisnoski, of the Giants comes to mind. He is an elite blocker out of the backfield, but not a pass receiver or a ball carrier. He is coming off a shoulder injury which may keep him second in line on his team at FB and therefore probably dispensable. He might fit what you were talking about and be reasonably priced. He played in all 16 games this season, (starting 4 of them). He injured his shoulder in the final game of the season.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
BA will not use a FB. He will change OCs before using a FB. He will use 3 TEs before he uses a FB. If Larry Centers was still on the team BA would convert him to a TE before he uses a FB.

He does use one. Just not very often. In my opinion, if BA is serious about running the ball, this has to change.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

Hey 52-----I have to agree with BB about Fells. While Niklas did show some potential at pass catching, he was a terrible blocker, and was VERY unathletic.

Fells, (the basketball player) and Green, have both exhibited far greater athleticism than Niklas seems to even be capable of. They both have a far greater upside, and both have already far surpassed what Niklas has achieved to date. We could keep Niklas as maybe he could become an H-Back type out of the backfield who could both block and receive once he learns to block. If he works out there, then we might have a 'real' answer for 8 in the box with 2 TEs and an H-Back, (providing a blocker for everyone in the box)-----yet having three extra possible receivers without having to substitute. Remember, Green has already proven to be the 4th best run blocker in the NFL at TE.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The whole interior of our line was pretty disappointing for the majority of the year. This was certainly Sendlein's most disappointing year. He was our worst rated offensive lineman according to Pro Football Focus with a -29.1 (though you can argue the validity of those ratings). I hope like heck Cooper comes back better and stronger with a full offseason healthy. This is also the year Watford needs to prove he's capable of playing in this league if he is. There should be an open competition at all three interior spots with Larsen pushing Lyle at center.

I agree that we need to add to our backfield. I actually love Ellington in the slot, and wouldn't mind at all seeing him spend a decent chunk of his time there. That's only possible if we get someone else capable of taking at least half the load at RB. My strong preference would be to get a bigger back that is tough between the tackles and after first contact. Luckily both the draft and free agency are strong at RB this year. I don't think Williams, Grice, or Taylor are locks to be with us next year. Each of them are fine 3rd or 4th RBs, but only if adding great value on special teams. Taylor is only an average runner, and average in the passing game. Grice seemed slow to hit the hole, and didn't add the value in the passing game you'd expect after watching him in college. Williams ran extremely well, but is limited as a pass protector and had some key drops out of the backfield. In my mind, they each need to excel on special teams to be a lock for the roster. I wouldn't be crushed to lose any of them.

After hearing how incredible he looked during OTAs and training camp, Carlson was a disappointment. He is an average blocker at best, and actually had some key drops throughout the year. Housler has been big disappointment. He has no ball skills and he never developed decent hands or route running. I don't think he'll be back. However, I'm really excited about Fells development. You have to remember how new he is to the game of football. I'm excited to watch Niklaus' development as well, as he has the size and athleticism to become a solid all-around TE. I really think Fells and Niklaus could become two of the better blocking TEs in the game, that are also above average receivers. Neither of them will ever be a Gronk, Graham, or Greg Olsen, in the passing game but that was never the expectation.

If Fitz stays I think we are fine at WR. John Brown and Floyd should get better next year, along with Jaron Brown. Jaron Brown has really proved to be a decent receiver. I hope like crazy they don't bring Ginn back. I'd rather roll with Brittan Golden or bring in another FA receiver at a reasonable cost.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey 52-----I have to agree with BB about Fells. While Niklas did show some potential at pass catching, he was a terrible blocker, and was VERY unathletic.

Fells, (the basketball player) and Green, have both exhibited far greater athleticism than Niklas seems to even be capable of. They both have a far greater upside, and both have already far surpassed what Niklas has achieved to date. We could keep Niklas as maybe he could become an H-Back type out of the backfield who could both block and receive once he learns to block. If he works out there, then we might have a 'real' answer for 8 in the box with 2 TEs and an H-Back, (providing a blocker for everyone in the box)-----yet having three extra possible receivers without having to substitute. Remember, Green has already proven to be the 4th best run blocker in the NFL at TE.

I think Niklas will be fine, especially as a blocker. Give him some time. He missed a great deal of time in the offseason, and was only active for 7 games. He was never healthy. I think it was Mayock who said Niklas could end up being the best blocking TE in the NFL in 2 or 3 years. His athleticism was evident at Notre Dame. Again, he's not an elite athlete, but certainly above average for his size.

As with Fells, Niklas is also young at the position. He was a lineman in high school, and played defense his first year or two at Notre Dame. I think both him and Fells will only get better.

That being said, you're right in that Fells has certainly showed more to this point.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team looked like it couldn't get into sync offensively all season. In 2013 this team scored 20 or less points only 5 times(2-3). This season, 9 times(4-5). Even with Palmer in there the offense looked spotty and never really got going. Even in the disaster season that was 2012 and with Ryan Lindley at QB this team was able to muster 38 points, 24 points on offense. It just seemed like Arians coached not to lose offensively while Bowles coached to win defensively. Take the Detroit game. First 2 drives we marched down field for 2 beautiful TD's against a pretty good Lions defense. Then he put the game in his pocket and played it safe. It's almost like Whiz was back calling plays.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
Niklas was always seen as a 2-3 year developmental prospect at TE with tools galore. To expect much his first year was a bit... over zealous.

I think in year 2, you'll see him flourish more and then he'll just grow into the role. If no one noticed, when he was on the field we had better blocking. I noticed it right away.. excited to see the kid healthy.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This team looked like it couldn't get into sync offensively all season. In 2013 this team scored 20 or less points only 5 times(2-3). This season, 9 times(4-5). Even with Palmer in there the offense looked spotty and never really got going. Even in the disaster season that was 2012 and with Ryan Lindley at QB this team was able to muster 38 points, 24 points on offense. It just seemed like Arians coached not to lose offensively while Bowles coached to win defensively. Take the Detroit game. First 2 drives we marched down field for 2 beautiful TD's against a pretty good Lions defense. Then he put the game in his pocket and played it safe. It's almost like Whiz was back calling plays.

I think no matter what Arians says about his QBs in public for their own confidence, he rolled the dice with Stanton early and thought he just finished out ahead and then said, "Drew actually is not that great and lets not gamble anymore trying to score with the offense" lol

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
I would like to see moves made to improve the offensive line. The OL players have for years been very poor in run blocking. I think its interesting what Urban Meyer said when he was standing with Jones. He asked Jones who rides in First Class on the plane the team takes to games. "The offensive line," Jones replied.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He does use one. Just not very often. In my opinion, if BA is serious about running the ball, this has to change.

I agree Mitch but I do not think BA's idea of a serious running game is on the same level of what we define running the ball... he seemed very content calling what we had a efficient running game for what he wanted to do when it was clearly not by most team standards