Arizona drops demand for Shelton compensation

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Yea, I'm sure I'm providing you all with some entertainment :p

Ok, I do agree that you could do without taking Henry. Honestly though, we would also be alright should this deal not happen. I know I know, Henry is threatening to sit out. But whatever, I honestly doubt he would, and he would be a solid backup. In concern with the O-line and LT position, the coaches seem to feel comfortable with having Trey Teague move from C to LT while placing Tucker at Center.

In all honestly, some form of the Henry/Shelton deal WILL happen.
See, this is where your thinking is wrong. Henry regardless of whether he plays this year or not the Bills say see ya next year and get nothing. Or they take a 5th later in camp to be rid of him. They can fill a need with LJ and have him for 3 years at a decent contract. This is a win for the Bills right there. I would rather give you the 3rd that Henry is really worth and trade LJ to the Phins for Surtain. They need lineman also. It would allow us to take Johnson at 8 or trade down and take TE Miller. I think something will get done either way but not if we have to give you Lj and swap picks. Not going to happen. So TD can not blink and find himself with even less leverage than he has today, say sometime around Training Camp. We got Hambrick and a Defensive end for a 6th rounder. A holdout Henry would be about worth as much.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Would people consider trading our #8 to Buffalo for Henry and their #55 in round two?
Why would you ask such a ridiculous question? Henry is not worth our #8th pick.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
It's really hard to say what Henry will do. Hell, I doubt Henry even knows what he's going to do. He isn't the smartest guy in the world. But anyways, I don't think it will come to that because I honestly believe we'll see the trade happen, and SOON.

I agree. It is hard to predict. But based off Henrys comments it isn't looking like that he would turn up to camp. But that could change.

I hope this trade does happen. I want it to happen. It's a trade that makes sense for both teams.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
The market isn't hot for those as you suggest. That's why he's being traded for a benchwarming LT whose also coming off an injury and who has been integral part of some of the worst o-lines in the NFL.

touche!

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Rats said:
See, this is where your thinking is wrong. Henry regardless of whether he plays this year or not the Bills say see ya next year and get nothing. Or they take a 5th later in camp to be rid of him. They can fill a need with LJ and have him for 3 years at a decent contract. This is a win for the Bills right there. I would rather give you the 3rd that Henry is really worth and trade LJ to the Phins for Surtain. They need lineman also. It would allow us to take Johnson at 8 or trade down and take TE Miller. I think something will get done either way but not if we have to give you Lj and swap picks. Not going to happen. So TD can not blink and find himself with even less leverage than he has today, say sometime around Training Camp. We got Hambrick and a Defensive end for a 6th rounder. A holdout Henry would be about worth as much.

The Phins will not give Surtain away for a mere LJ Shelton. I also think you need to give the Bills and Donahoe a little more credit. I don't see the Cards as having the upper hand as much as you don't see the Bills having the upper hand.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
The Phins will not give Surtain away for a mere LJ Shelton. I also think you need to give the Bills and Donahoe a little more credit. I don't see the Cards as having the upper hand as much as you don't see the Bills having the upper hand.

I agree. Surtain grades out higher than Shelton does, and I don't recall there ever being any dialogue between Miami and Arizona about such a trade anyways.

I think the Bills and Donahoe tend to get less credit than they should sometimes for moves like trading for and getting rid of Drew Bledsoe. It seems Tom Donahoe is good at identifying talent mostly, but it may be possible to bluff him into giving up more than he should at times. Before, it seemed the Cardinals were asking for more than just a player to player trade, and probably all because Donahoe has shown a few moments of weakness. The fact we're backing down on our earlier demands is indicative of us realizing he's not going to blink this time.

Still, that shouldn't force us into making a poor move. There's enough of a drop in talent between those 11 spots in the 2nd that we could miss out on a big time player. Henry is great, and I'd love to have him here, but if all else failed, I'd be happy with LJ staying and us bringing in a guy like JJ Arrington. If the draft weren't so saturated with backs, I'd say the Bills would be justified in asking for this switch, but it just doesn't seem like a smart maneuver to me.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
I agree. I said last week that we should give Shelton and our 3rd for Surtain. I should have added the 3rd. The name of the game is improve your team. If TD does not make a deal he is hurting his team plain and simple. Henry is going and there is nothing TD or the Bills can do about it. They can be smart however and get a good deal in return. The Cards will not swap picks. It would be a deal breaker if TD sticks to that way of thinking and in doing so he will get less than what Shelton represents if he waits till Training camp. Spin it anyway you want a straight up trade grades out. Also our last 3rd rounder for Henry (and his current contract)is what he is worth. I have been a big proponant of getting Henry but not to make our team weaker by overpaying.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
DM, sorry if I sounded like I was trying to make it out that you're an idiot. That isn't my point at all. I think you're just drinking the homerism kool-aide, that's all. Kinda like the Vikes fans who wanted us to trade Dockett, Boldin, Wilson, and our first rounder for Moss. You just aren't being realistic.

You guys are desperate for an OT. Desperate. I don't think LJ is at the top of the heap, no, but he's an average starter, making a very manageable wage for the position, with lots of time left on his contract. Henry has his upsides, like LJ, but also his downsides too. Straight up would be quite an equitable trade.

If you really think you guys have any shot of getting anything more than LJ for Henry, you're just looking at it from a homer fan's point of view. That's all. Not trying to call you an idiot. Just calling it how I see it.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Redsz said:
I hope this trade does happen. I want it to happen. It's a trade that makes sense for both teams.

I agree. The trade is a win-win situation.

Both owners aren't in a rush so they'll wait it out because they can. It's like fishing.

I hope all parties involved understand that it makes both teams better.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just because a media guy is "hearing something" doesn't mean it is true.
We don't know if McShane is providing new info or whether he's working on 3 or 4 week old info because he hadn't done his homework."

On the subject of trade terms - what we think doesn't matter. It's what the Cards want and Bills want that will or won't get the deal done.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan