Arizona State Basketball 2024-25

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU basketball coach Bobby Hurley gives his thoughts on the coming season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Power forward Jayden Quaintance seems like a talent.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think Hurley is a very good coach so we’ll see if he can coach these guys up. Talent and skill is all fine and dandy but guarantees nothing

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Hurley is a very good coach so we’ll see if he can coach these guys up. Talent and skill is all fine and dandy but guarantees nothing
I've seen a lot of bad coaches come and go at ASU since Ned but I'm not sure where I'd put Hurley, though I certainly wouldn't put him down there with Rob Evans.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of bad coaches come and go at ASU since Ned but I'm not sure where I'd put Hurley, though I certainly wouldn't put him down there with Rob Evans.

It's a shame Ned Wulk was not allowed to carry on as the ASU basketball coach. He was fired after one mediocre season in 1982 after his talent moved on.

IMO, Bobby Hurley is more of a victim of NIL and the University's untimely failure to address it, although only time will tell.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a shame Ned Wulk was not allowed to carry on as the ASU basketball. He was fired after one mediocre season in 1982 after his talent moved on.

IMO, Bobby Hurley is more of a victim of NIL and the University's untimely failure to address it, although only time will tell.
We'd underachieved in a couple of tournaments and I'm sure that's what drove the decision. I joined other Sun Devil fans in blaming him for the disappointments so at the time I was thrilled when we replaced him with Weinhauer. Bob had taken over at Penn from Chuck Daly and had great success there including a surprise trip to the Final Four a year or two a year or two before we hired him.

That whole experience taught me the folly of just blaming negative outcomes on the Coach or the Manager. It clearly isn't always that simple. But after parting ways with Wulk, we were never even a pretender again despite momentary positive glimpses. And as a result of that era I rarely engage in coach bashing although Monty with the Suns was a rare exception for me. The simple truth, or maybe it's just my simple understanding of the truth, is that the Coach is almost always everyone's favorite scapegoat but often not the real problem.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'd underachieved in a couple of tournaments and I'm sure that's what drove the decision. I joined other Sun Devil fans in blaming him for the disappointments so at the time I was thrilled when we replaced him with Weinhauer. Bob had taken over at Penn from Chuck Daly and had great success there including a surprise trip to the Final Four a year or two a year or two before we hired him.

That whole experience taught me the folly of just blaming negative outcomes on the Coach or the Manager. It clearly isn't always that simple. But after parting ways with Wulk, we were never even a pretender again despite momentary positive glimpses. And as a result of that era I rarely engage in coach bashing although Monty with the Suns was a rare exception for me. The simple truth, or maybe it's just my simple understanding of the truth, is that the Coach is almost always everyone's favorite scapegoat but often not the real problem.

I never understood how Ned Wulk was supposed to win after losing most of his talent from the previous season.

Close to .500 is about all one could expect. I understood that.

Back then, I had season tickets and Ned Wulk used to visit my seating area. He was such a gentleman under the circumstances.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never understood how Ned Wulk was supposed to win after losing most of his talent from the previous season.

Close to .500 is about all one could expect. I understood that.

Back then, I had season tickets and Ned Wulk used to visit my seating area. He was such a gentleman under the circumstances.
Yeah but it was the tournament losses to Kansas and Ohio State the two prior years that really put his job in jeopardy, the down year was just the final straw. But there's an interesting Phoenix Suns related what-if connection to his firing. If we'd kept him there's a good chance that Weinhauer never ends up as the GM for the Houston Rockets team that ended our title hopes in back to back seasons.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad James Harden doesn't forget his alma mater.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but it was the tournament losses to Kansas and Ohio State the two prior years that really put his job in jeopardy, the down year was just the final straw. But there's an interesting Phoenix Suns related what-if connection to his firing. If we'd kept him there's a good chance that Weinhauer never ends up as the GM for the Houston Rockets team that ended our title hopes in back to back seasons.

I mostly forgot the playoff outcomes. Watching the likes of Byron Scott, Alton Lister, Sam Williams. Johnny Nash and Fat Lever will do that too you, although I believe Lever stayed another season. This was big time talent, the best I can recall ASU ever having.

I do remember Joe Caldwell, Scott Loyd and Rudy White among others and of course James Harden.

Aging myself, I used to watch games at Sun Devil gym. I used to go early for the JV games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake