Around the MLB

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
Roy Halladay had a complete game in 10 innings... You don't see that every day.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's getting more and more distressing here with this slow start. If we get swept by Houston, Charlie might not have a job next week.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
It's getting more and more distressing here with this slow start. If we get swept by Houston, Charlie might not have a job next week.
I'd say he won't make it through the year. I think Philly is ready for a winning team and they aren't going to settle for anything less. I think most Philly fans expect a division title this year and if Charlie doesn't seem to be capable of accomplishing that this year, I think he could be gone soon.

Hope things start turning around for you, I'd love to see the Phillies win the NL East this year.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

Well, the Phils went with the fiery manager approach with Bowa, and where he was popular with the fans and actually had the Phils overachieving, the atmosphere was near mutinous, so he got bagged.

To balance that, they went with perhaps the most player friendly manager in the game, however that's blown up on them as the team has underachieved.

There's gotta be some happy median here.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, the Phils went with the fiery manager approach with Bowa, and where he was popular with the fans and actually had the Phils overachieving, the atmosphere was near mutinous, so he got bagged.

To balance that, they went with perhaps the most player friendly manager in the game, however that's blown up on them as the team has underachieved.

There's gotta be some happy median here.

Exactly Jay. I like Manuel, and think he's a good guy, but unfortunately it's the attention to detail that is killing this team. Not exactly "Chollie's" strong point, it's making him appear way worse than he actually is. We have the talent, but more than anything Gillick not addressing the bullpen is killing us.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd say he won't make it through the year. I think Philly is ready for a winning team and they aren't going to settle for anything less. I think most Philly fans expect a division title this year and if Charlie doesn't seem to be capable of accomplishing that this year, I think he could be gone soon.

Hope things start turning around for you, I'd love to see the Phillies win the NL East this year.

PHX, I would love to see the Phils win the division, but I still thought we'd be trailing the Mets despite J- Roll's proclamation. But anything less than the wild card, and I'm one heated Phillies fan.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A-Rod hit Homer #9 of the season in only the 13th game

:thud:

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
A-Rod hit Homer #9 of the season in only the 13th game

:thud:
I hope he has a monster season and then leaves. I wish we could afford him but I don't think there's any way possible. I really hope he ends up with the Cubs. I can't stand New York fans and they don't deserve him. They and the New York media have taken a great baseball player and a pretty good guy and just beat his image to death to the point to where he's almost hated by a lot of people these days... Just my opinion, but I think he's a very likable player and I don't think he deserves all of the hate.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Buerhle (sp?) pitches no - hitter.... wow
As I posted in another thread, what impressed me most was it was against the Rangers who are one of the better offensive teams in the AL. I like guys like Buehrle. Don't really overpower you, but they just locate their pitches so well. I looked up to guys like that (mainly Maddux) as a young kid because I never really threw hard but I could usually locate it pretty well. Still, no matter who it's against, a no hitter is quite impressive.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Sox 4 in a row was a beautiful beautiful thing. Sweepin' the stupid Spankees was up there too.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Exactly Jay. I like Manuel, and think he's a good guy, but unfortunately it's the attention to detail that is killing this team. Not exactly "Chollie's" strong point, it's making him appear way worse than he actually is. We have the talent, but more than anything Gillick not addressing the bullpen is killing us.

I really wish Philadelphia had kept Wagner. Tom Gordon is a very good setup man, but as a closer, those days have passed.

I hope and envision Myers has the potential to be a 45-50 saves a year guy. I really think he's got the stuff and the mentality to do the job well. Don't know if it will happen right away though.

As for managers, when I say the Phils needs someone who commands respect, I don't mean someone who yells and screams and tosses things around to prove his point. I'm talking someone like Jim Leyland, who all but BEGGED the Phillies to hire him a few years back, but they instead went with Manuel in one of the more puzzling decisions I've ever seen. I think there's some out there who could do the gig. Joe Girardi is one who I think would do fine in Philadelphia.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryan Theriot of the Cubs looks pretty good. Who knew?

I thought he was the real deal. He is just finding his stride too. Made me want to puke losing 2 of 3 to the Cards and having that clown Pujols stand at the plate admiring his HR. The dude needs to get drilled for doing that...and he does it alot.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
2 more A-Rod home runs tonight

14 on the season

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 more A-Rod home runs tonight

14 on the season

I tuned into that game just in time to see the first HR. When I saw Casey Fossum pitching, it was really obvious that something like that was going to happen. That guy still sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05