Registered
Reaction score
Arrington ready to accept his role

Running back says he wants to help team any way he can

By DARREN URBAN
TRIBUNE

CONTACT WRITER:
(480) 898-6495 or [email protected]

J.J. Arrington took his place on the Cardinals’ first-team offense Wednesday, with the running back in the spot where everyone expected him to be when Arizona drafted him with 2005’s second-round pick.

Of course, it’s not where Arrington will stay.

New running back Edgerrin James was absent from the first day of the Cards’ voluntary organized team activities.

So it is Arrington, the man who lost the starting job the day James signed as a free agent in March, who will take his place until James shows up.

The role isn’t the one Arrington will have during the season, but he has already come to terms with the one he will have.

“I will just try and get in and help where I can,” Arrington said following Wednesday’s workout. “If Edge needs a break here and there, I can do that. I’ll be catching out of the backfield, mostly.”

Catching a few passes and spelling a starter is far removed from the expectations of last season, when Arrington’s rookie year began with talk of a 1,000-yard season.

Instead, Arrington gained just 370 yards on 112 carries — 3.3 yards an attempt — and lost the starting job to Marcel Shipp for most of the year.

There were questions with how hard Arrington ran when he was in the game. And then the team made the biggest splash of the NFL free agent period by signing James to a four-year, $30 million contract.

“Every NFL player wants to be ‘The Guy’ at his position, that’s not uncommon, and he should feel that way,” running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. “As a player, you always want to get better, always have something to prove. We want to see him keep that chip on his shoulder.”

Arrington has been a quiet sort since arriving in the NFL.

Never prone to verbose proclamations or emotional swings, he said he thinks bringing in James was a good move.

While he acknowledged getting more repetitions in practice this week as a first-teamer can only help, “I also would love for (James) to be here so I can continue to learn from him.”

This season’s goal, coach Dennis Green said, is to get James 1,500 yards rushing — which will clearly take the vast majority of the carries. But Arrington will be needed, as will Shipp.

Shipp has been mentioned in trade talks, but the Cardinals have rebuffed any moves thus far.

Vice president of football operations Rod Graves said having Arrington and Shipp behind James isn’t a luxury as much as a necessity.

“The one thing we have not had the benefit of is depth on this team,” Graves said.

So what does that mean for Arrington? Will his growth be stunted playing less? Or might the signing of James be the best thing for Arrington, removing the pressure of carrying a running game he was not ready to carry a season ago?

“J.J. will do everything better this year,” Wilson said. “He’ll protect better, he’ll run better, he’ll read better, he’ll catch better. Now we’ve got to get him to work better and understand it all goes together.”

One thing Arrington already understands is that he won’t be No. 1. He insisted it doesn’t matter.

“I am always going to work hard to earn my keep,” Arrington said.
“They pay you, so you might as well work hard. That’s never been a problem for me.”

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Of course he is...

swd1974 said:
I get the feeling he is happy to not be the #1 guy.

As the number 1 guy he would be expected to not bury his head in the ground to avoid getting hit...he is just not into being hit... come on! What is a first down worth anyway?

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Wuss....

Man, Everytime they interview this guy he sounds like the biggest wuss. He has no confidence in his abilities and it shows. Grow a pair...and show some authority for christ sake!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sr7706 said:
Man, Everytime they interview this guy he sounds like the biggest wuss. He has no confidence in his abilities and it shows. Grow a pair...and show some authority for christ sake!

he's a quiet kid, always has been.

While I agree it's never a good thing for a young player to be content to be a backup, I figure this is a no win situation for JJ. If he came out and said he was mad the Cards had signed Edge and he wants to start, people would laugh or call him an idiot. So he takes the team player approach and says he's fine with it and wants to learn from Edge, and he gets trashed for that too.

let's face it after last season nothing JJ SAYS is going to change anybody's opinion, until they see him do it on the field.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
CardsGuy said:
Arrington ready to accept his role...“I am always going to work hard to earn my keep,” Arrington said. “They pay you, so you might as well work hard.... .”

Wow. You can hear his love of the game and the championship fire burning in his belly in this quote.

:bigyawn:

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

JJ reminds me of that kid in pop warner that always hid at the back of the tackling drill line and only joined the football team so he could wear the jersey and say he plays football
________
MISS BELVEDERE

Last edited:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JJ would have had to have been Okoye last year to make anything out of those tiny holes.

Arrington'll make a nice change of pace to Edge. The biggest thing JJ could do to help himself out, is in working on his hands.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
JJ would have had to have been Okoye last year to make anything out of those tiny holes.

Arrington'll make a nice change of pace to Edge. The biggest thing JJ could do to help himself out, is in working on his hands.

Agreed I've been saying it since we drafted him, JJ is not a natural receiver, he almost always turns and faces the QB to catch, you can't do that and be very effective in the NFL because while you have your back to the defense, they're closing on you. The one bad thing about his senior year at Cal was that they were so anxious to get Marshawn Lynch on the field, they used him as the receiving back and JJ didn't get thrown the ball. Admittedly I know why, Lynch is amazing, but JJ came into the NFL very raw as a receiver.

I hope he's worked on that really hard since last year because that's his best shot at helping this team, catching the ball.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I watched that a lot in TC and pre game, with JJ. He really, really struggles with his back to the QB. In just the couple of "fly" drills he would run, he'd always look terrible with it. He's very uncomfortable with his hands. He watches it all the way in like a little kid. It's definitely something you can work on though, so I'm glad he's here.

I believe he is also adjusting to playing closer to the line of scrimmage in the NFL. He seems to have slow acceleration, and struggled to be at a decent speed at the LOS. People called him slow. He struggled, losing that 3 yards in the backfield.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I watched that a lot in TC and pre game, with JJ. He really, really struggles with his back to the QB. In just the couple of "fly" drills he would run, he'd always look terrible with it. He's very uncomfortable with his hands. He watches it all the way in like a little kid. It's definitely something you can work on though, so I'm glad he's here.

I believe he is also adjusting to playing closer to the line of scrimmage in the NFL. He seems to have slow acceleration, and struggled to be at a decent speed at the LOS. People called him slow. He struggled, losing that 3 yards in the backfield.

yes, I pointed out your 2nd point last season too. Cal ran him from a very deep set and it gave him a step or two more both to build up speed, and to pick his hole. Last year he got the ball and often got one step before he was getting hit, that just didn't happen at Cal with the deeper set and an OL that actually run blocked. In fact one of the pre draft scouting reports on JJ even mentioned that at the Senior Bowl he seemed to struggle lining up closer to the LOS and it was something he was going to have to fix.

I was disappointed with JJ last year, the duck play against Taylor was indefensible, but I still think that our atrocious run blocking last year was his biggest problem. Nobody is going to change the offense to line him up further back so he's going to have to make that adjustment.

I'd love to see JJ become a better receiver but I gotta admit I see the same thing you do with respect to tracking the ball in the air and over the shoulder, I really haven't seen him do it much at all.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The thing that stood out most to me is that Kirby Wilson said he needs to work better. I know all coahces want their players to work harder but they also are pretty guarded when talking about a player to the press. JJ , to me, just comes off as a little too complacent. I said at the time he was drafted that we had no idea of what kind of RB he was because he never got touched at Cal until he was about 7 yards downfield.It's pretty wasy to run like that. It defninitely sounds like he needs a kick in th rear to get him motivated.

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
Competition

Listening to this thread, it sounds like the Rabbit has a real shot. He has no problem with banging and buttin heads.

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
Listening to this thread, it sounds like the Rabbit has a real shot. He has no problem with banging and buttin heads.

Hell, I think Robinson looks for a little more contact then he should. He run with a chip on his shoulder.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05