ASFN: Wednesday's Games Might Actually Matter

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4. If the Sonics lose to the Timberwolves on Sunday and Dallas on Tuesday, while the Mavericks win out, the Sonics could drop to the fourth seed if they lose to the Rockets on Wednesday.

5. If Dallas beats the Lakers on Sunday and the Sonics on Tuesday, then they could win the fourth seed by beating the Grizzlies on Wednesday.
What am I missing here:
The Sonics won the Northwest division title. Doesn't that guarantee them a top 3 seed?
Dallas is guaranteed to have the third best record in the conference. They already have the 4 seed.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
nm132 said:
What am I missing here:
The Sonics won the Northwest division title. Doesn't that guarantee them a top 3 seed?
Dallas is guaranteed to have the third best record in the conference. They already have the 4 seed.

I had the same questions as you. Both of your statements are right

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
2. If the Suns lose on Monday and the Spurs beat the Grizzlies, then the Spurs could win the top seed by beating the Timberwolves.

This is also wrong. The Suns have to loose to both the Nuggets and Kings, and the Spurs have to beat the Grizz and Twolves. Our magic number is one.

George, you are usually a lot better than this! 2 out of 5 statements being correct puts you back in the national media group!

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
This is also wrong. The Suns have to loose to both the Nuggets and Kings, and the Spurs have to beat the Grizz and Twolves. Our magic number is one.

George, you are usually a lot better than this! 2 out of 5 statements being correct puts you back in the national media group!
He uses "could" rather than "would" so I guess it's technically correct, but definitely a little misleading.

Brett10S

Reaction score
The way I read it all five of those things were wrong. Or sorry, I guess "misleading". Unreal.

1. If the Suns lose on Monday, their game in Sacramento would determine whether they would end up as the top seed. - Not if SA loses a game.

2. If the Suns lose on Monday and the Spurs beat the Grizzlies, then the Spurs could win the top seed by beating the Timberwolves. - And having the Suns lose.

3. If the Timberwolves beat the Sonics on Sunday and the Hornets on Monday while the Grizzlies lose on Monday, then the Timberwolves could make the playoffs by beating the Spurs. - And having the Grizzlies lose on Wednesday.

4. If the Sonics lose to the Timberwolves on Sunday and Dallas on Tuesday, while the Mavericks win out, the Sonics could drop to the fourth seed if they lose to the Rockets on Wednesday. - Sonics already won the division. 5. If Dallas beats the Lakers on Sunday and the Sonics on Tuesday, then they could win the fourth seed by beating the Grizzlies on Wednesday. - They already have the four. No matter what.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry about the woulds very coulds. I was late to an appointment and should have spent more time explaining the scenerios.

In any case, the loss by the Wolves in Seattle today eliminated them from the playoffs and ensured the Sonics would end up ahead of the Mavericks. (You are right in that this probably would make little differnce). In any case, the Grizzlies can still get into the playoffs even if they end up losing their final six games.

Now all that matters is that the Suns win one of the next two games so they can play the Grizzlies.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
(You are right in that this probably would make little differnce). In any case, the Grizzlies can still get into the playoffs even if they end up losing their final six games.

Heh, well I would take away the probably since the Sonics clinched the division a few days ago. By winning out some more, the Mavs will get HC over the Sonics if both advance to the WCF. HC is determined off of record, not seeding. So I guess Dallas has a little bit to play for.

Another thing to play for if you are the Mavs: With Miami's slide, Dallas is only one game behind them now. If the Mavericks can win out, they have a chance at taking HC in the finals (if Miami looses one) - Dallas has the tie breaker.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Heh, well I would take away the probably since the Sonics clinched the division a few days ago. By winning out some more, the Mavs will get HC over the Sonics if both advance to the WCF. HC is determined off of record, not seeding. So I guess Dallas has a little bit to play for.

Another thing to play for if you are the Mavs: With Miami's slide, Dallas is only one game behind them now. If the Mavericks can win out, they have a chance at taking HC in the finals (if Miami looses one) - Dallas has the tie breaker.

I think the Sonics clinched over the Mavs but I missed the Miami possibility.