Asian Horror

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
This is kind of a weird thread, I know, but I've subjected myself to two of the coolest, most twisted movies I've seen and I really wanted to share them with everyone.

Audition is a movie that's available at video stores that carry unrated movies. Trust me when I say that the only version worth its weight is the unrated cut. What begins as a rather engaging melodrama involving a widowed film producer's search for love via a staged audition becomes . . . . twisted. It's a very cool little analysis of the patriarchal Japanese culture that manages to be a very good love story at the same time. When it takes its final turn in the third act it really turns the stomach and becomes a tough task to watch. Not in any kind of unnecessary or gratuitous way, but it's still one of the more grotesque things I've ever seen on screen.

Battle Royale is a film that isn't going to be released in the U.S. anytime soon but if you're in a city carrying Asian DVDs or if you get a hair up the behind to order one on ebay, check this one out. Set in the near future when unemployment and teenage rebellion run rampant, the government goes to war with teenagers by sending one high school class into the Battle Royale every year. The class is given three days to fight to the death and only one can survive or else they'll all be killed. It's an incredible movie to watch - I can't imagine an American film ever doing this (hence the reason it hasn't seen a U.S. distribution). Pretty brutal at times but it really captures the bipolar nature of human beings, particularly teenagers. What happens when lovers, cliques, and worst enemies are put together and told to kill? Highly, highly recommended for anybody lucky enough to get their hands on a copy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22