Atlanta in the playoffs?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not checking to see who started the Atlanta tank thread, but I'm calling jinx. They've won 4 straight and Josh Smith is putting up Shawn Marion numbers. Better than Marion numbers.

Hollinger suggests the Hawks are not out of the playoff picture yet. I checked. He's right. The Eastern Conference really is that bad. The Hawks are 26-39 and only 4 games behind 8th place Indiana, which has lost 10 in a row and seems to be in crash-and-burn mode. Orlando is just ahead of Atlanta and is in more of a slow burn. The only teams that seem likely to keep the Hawks out of the playoffs are New Jersey and New York.

The Hawks still have to play Miami twice and Dallas once, but right now it's not improbable for them to finish, say, 12-5. That'd give them a 38-44 record and a reasonable shot at that 8th seed.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not checking to see who started the Atlanta tank thread, but I'm calling jinx. They've won 4 straight and Josh Smith is putting up Shawn Marion numbers. Better than Marion numbers.

Hollinger suggests the Hawks are not out of the playoff picture yet. I checked. He's right. The Eastern Conference really is that bad. The Hawks are 26-39 and only 4 games behind 8th place Indiana, which has lost 10 in a row and seems to be in crash-and-burn mode. Orlando is just ahead of Atlanta and is in more of a slow burn. The only teams that seem likely to keep the Hawks out of the playoffs are New Jersey and New York.

The Hawks still have to play Miami twice and Dallas once, but right now it's not improbable for them to finish, say, 12-5. That'd give them a 38-44 record and a reasonable shot at that 8th seed.

Get out of here. I am already convinced that the Hawks will get the #5 pick this year.

[little child]
I'm not listening, I'm not listening, blah blah blah blah
[/little child]

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They play Boston next, so there's 5 in a row. Hopefully, IND and SAC can beat them in the subsequent two games.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So are we rooting for Atlanta to lose tonight? I've never been more confused about whether to want a team to win or lose before.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So are we rooting for Atlanta to lose tonight? I've never been more confused about whether to want a team to win or lose before.

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I'll see the score flash during Sportscenter and I have to stop and think whether I should be happy or mad

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IMO, we want them to lose a bunch. The bottom two spots are pretty well locked up, but the rest are close. Hawks are in the 7th or so position right now. If they can drop to the 3rd or 4th, the Suns have an excellent chance (~60%) chance of ending up with the 4th or 5th pick in the draft.

If the Hawks stay in the 7th position and don't win the draft lottery, we are stuck with the 7-10th pick. Not bad, but not nearly as great as the #5.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Hawks sneak into the playoffs for the right to get bounced in 4 games by the Pistons, that pick immediately jumps to No. 15. The Cavs pick currently sits at No. 24 and the Suns own pick sits at No. 29.

I can almost see a scenario where it makes sense to trade right out of the draft again. Argh. The Suns better win a championship if we're going to have another boring summer.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I do not think Atlanta will make the playoffs. The pick should be 5-10.

I am hoping that Cleveland could lose a few games so that #24 could be closer to #20!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05