Cowboys Inexperienced Tackles Facing Another Stiff Challenge
You must be registered for see images
Nick Eatman - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
October 27, 2005 6:52 PMChange Font SizeAAAA
Torrin Tucker was admirable last week in Seattle, but faces another tough foe Sunday.

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys probably won't get a checkmark in the box next to "Cowboys OL vs. Cardinals DL" for Sunday's scouting report.

Now that's not any kind of prediction how things will turn out Sunday afternoon at Texas Stadium.

But based on perception, one might assume the Cowboys, particularly at offensive tackle, will have a tough day facing a pair of Cardinals defensive ends who rank atop the league leaders in sacks.

However, nobody has ever won a game based on perception. In fact, no one has even given up a sack that way, either.

Certainly the Cardinals pass-rushing duo of Bertrand Berry (six sacks) and Chike Okeafor (three) will have to earn what they get Sunday against the Cowboys, regardless who is lining up opposite them.

And a few weeks ago, this looked to be a premiere match-up between one of the league's top sack artists, Berry, who led the NFC in that department last year (14.5), and Cowboys left tackle Flozell Adams.

But with Adams now lost for the season after tearing the ACL in his right knee, the Cowboys have turned to Torrin Tucker, a third-year veteran who didn't even want to talk about Berry when asked Thursday in the locker room.

"Every week is a new challenge," Tucker said, choosing to discuss his own progress rather than this week's match-up. "I feel like I'm doing all right and coming along. But I've got a lot to work on still. I'm just trying to get my assignments right and do the things that I have to do, and not really worry about anything else."

Tucker can leave the worrying to Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells, who has expressed confidence in his left tackle, and even his rookie right tackle Rob Petitti, who struggled more than Tucker last week in Seattle.

And nothing against Grant Wistrom and Bryce Fisher, the Seahawks' starting ends, but Arizona poses even a bigger pass-rushing threat Sunday.

"They are going to pressure the quarterback," Parcells said of Berry and Okeafor. "That's what they do.

"You've got to watch it and be up on your protection. We can't just indiscriminately hang our tackles out to dry against these guys 50 times in this game, no matter what the fans would like to see. If we do that we are going to have some problems."

And problems at the tackle position usually equate to problems within the entire offense.

Because if Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe isn't protected, and spends most of Sunday running for space, it obviously hinders an offense that has been more successful throwing than running.

And that might not change much this week, with second-year running back Julius Jones still bothered by a high-ankle sprain which still is keeping him out of portions of practice this week.

Even though rookies Marion Barber and Tyson Thompson have provided a spark to the running game, the Cowboys' strength has been through the air.

Despite just 136 passing yards and two interceptions this past Sunday in Seattle, Bledsoe still ranks second in the NFC with a 94.9 quarterback rating. Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson and Jason Witten are still the primary weapons for this offense, and the Cowboys are even expecting more from third receiver Peerless Price against Arizona (2-4).

But without solid pass protection, getting the ball to their playmakers becomes difficult.

"Anytime you're out there and your teammates are counting on you, there's going to be pressure," Tucker said. "You feel it. But you can't worry about it. You have to be prepared. You have to have confidence in yourself. I was confident last week, and I'll be the same this week."

And despite a rather disappointing off-season and training camp, where Tucker struggled with his conditioning early, and then penalties in one preseason game - ironically against the Cardinals - Tucker has turned things around.

Parcells continues to display a sense of confidence in Tucker that has seemed to inspire the young tackle.

"When you have a coach who believes in you and sticks by you, even when it's not going good all the time, that motivates you," Tucker said. "He told me to stay positive all the time. And I've done that. I think I'm playing a lot better now."

And Parcells would agree with that, stating Thursday Tucker went through the first 61 plays of the Seattle game without a mental error.

"That's pretty good for him," Parcells said. "So I was generally pleased."

But Parcells was also rather blunt about the other side of the line. Petitti struggled more than he had in recent games, giving up two sacks to Fisher and was called for a key holding penalty on the Cowboys' final offensive drive.

However, while the Cowboys signed veteran Ethan Brooks, who has starting experience on both sides, don't expect any kind of changes this week.

In fact, Parcells seemed irritated when asked about Petitti's struggles.

"He's a young player," Parcells said. "I told you we were going to have a few problems. So when they happen don't act like you're surprised. Position. Foot movement, not staying in front of a guy, overreacting to a move - those are the things that get you in trouble in pass protection."

Parcells said he plans to stick with Petitti as the starting right tackle, but said Brooks has worked on both the right and left sides in practice week. He also said Ben Noll, who was active for his first game of the season against Seattle, continues to spend time working at right tackle. But the responsibility will fall on the shoulders of Tucker and Petitti, and Parcells said they will be expected to do a lot of one-on-one blocking, which runs in the face of that perception the Cowboys are giving their young tackles all kinds of help on the outside with tight ends and running backs chipping. "We are into this help thing," Parcells said, sarcastically referring to the media's perception of how much aid the tackles are receiving from the tight ends and running backs. "They've got to block guys, too." </FONT>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05