Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/1007cardsgamer-ON.html
Cards win game, lose Leinart
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 7, 2007 09:17 PM

ST. LOUIS - The Cardinals talked all last week about how their meeting Sunday against the winless Rams was a trap tantalizingly baited with the opportunity to win a second consecutive game and gain a share of the NFC West lead.

Turns out the Cardinals weren't kidding.

As proof, they can show you the scratches and scars left by the 34-31 victory at the Edward Jones Dome. It was a narrow escape, one that left the Cardinals with one healthy quarterback, plenty of mistakes to correct and a large amount of confidence that they don't have to play their best to win.

"I think there were a lot of things thrown at us," coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "I'll take the win any way we can get it."

It came at a high cost.

Starting quarterback Matt Leinart suffered a fractured left collarbone when he was sacked by linebacker Will Witherspoon late in the first half. Leinart will undergo more tests today, but he's expected to miss at least several weeks, if not the rest of the season.

That leaves Kurt Warner as the starter and the only quarterback on the 53-man roster. The Cardinals entered the season with only two quarterbacks, and they planned to start their search for another one Sunday night.

"You never like to see anybody go through that stuff," Warner said, "and you never like to be put in that position (starting) because of injury."

For the third consecutive week, Warner shared time with Leinart, directing both of the team's touchdown drives in the first half, with one coming before Leinart was hurt and one after.

Warner, 36, who led the Rams to two Super Bowl appearances, was greeted with an ovation Sunday and went on to complete 14 of 28 passes for 190 yards and a touchdown. He also ran for a score and had a pass intercepted in the Rams' end zone.

The Cardinals (3-2) are tied with Seattle for the division lead, but Warner will do all he can to make sure his teammates' helmets aren't too small this week.

"It's big, but again, it's early," he said. "I think I'm in a different light than a lot of these guys, because I've been in these places before."

But even he had to admit the obvious: "I don't think anybody looking at our schedule through the first five games thought we were going to be sitting here at 3-2."

For much of Sunday, it appeared they would be sitting at 2-3. The Rams, who had not scored an offensive touchdown since the second week of the season, gained 375 yards, including 123 rushing. The 31 points were only eight fewer than they scored through their first four games, even though they were missing several starters, including quarterback Marc Bulger and running back Steven Jackson.

"We knew we were going to get their best punch," Cardinals safety Terrence Holt said.

The Rams (0-5) hit the Cardinals early and often but could not deliver the knockout blow.

Both of the Cardinals' first-half touchdowns were controversial. Offensive lineman Reggie Wells scored the first one, recovering a fumble by Edgerrin James in the end zone.

It appeared that James might have been down before he fumbled and that a Rams player, not Wells, recovered.

After a long review, referee Gerald Austin decided there was no evidence to conclude that James fumbled or that Wells didn't recover. The score was tied at 10 with 3:32 left.

"At that moment," Rams receiver Dante Hall said, "I'm sure everyone is thinking the same thing: 'Oh, my God. Can we just please get a break?' You almost want to get on your knees and ask God."

Maybe he should have, because the Cardinals weren't finished with quirky plays in the end zone.

After Leinart was drilled by Witherspoon on a delayed blitz, Warner took over and guided the Cardinals to the 1.

James was stopped, and time expired as the Cardinals hurried to line up to spike the ball. But two Rams players kicked the ball and were called for delay of game.

The Cardinals received one more shot, and Warner dove over the line for the score, giving the Cardinals a 17-13 lead.

"I don't think I've ever done that," Warner said of the dive. "I was trying to talk them (coaches) out of play on the sideline, saying, 'Don't you think we ought to just do this or this?' "
The Cardinals didn't seize control until the fourth quarter, when cornerback Rod Hood intercepted a pass from Gus Frerotte and returned it 68 yards for a touchdown, giving the Cardinals a 27-20 lead.

Receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who had 136 yards on nine receptions, added another touchdown late, giving the Cardinals enough cushion to survive a late Rams score and avoid being caught in a trap.

"It was very, very pivotal." Holt said. "We knew that, and that's what we stressed and preached all week. Whatever we did against the Steelers (last week) wouldn't mean anything if we came here and laid an egg."

Cheers:
To offensive tackle Reggie Wells, who had the presence of mind to fight for a fumble in the end zone. Wells recovered for his first touchdown since high school.

Jeers:
To cornerback Roderick Hood, who slowed way down on his interception return for a touchdown and backed into the end zone. Kids, don't try this at home. It was Hood's first touchdown since high school.

Injury report:
QB Matt Leinart (fractured left collarbone) expected to miss several weeks, perhaps the rest of the season. OL Elton Brown (knee sprain). He was unable to play in the second half and will be evaluated today.

Did you notice?:
Kurt Warner didn't give his wife, Brenda, a kiss after the game, as is his tradition in St. Louis. Warner thought it would look disrespectful to the Rams.

Quote:
"We have watched the Diamondbacks all year, and it has been kind of an 'anyone, anytime,' that kind of thing. And that is what it was for us today." - Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

View from the press box:
The Cardinals share the NFC West lead, and how often has that sentence been written, discussed or dreamed about? Granted, it's early. But the Cardinals showed some maturity by winning in St. Louis on Sunday, even though it was a struggle and ugly at times. If they beat Carolina on Sunday at home, the Cardinals will be 4-2, their best start since 2002. That team then lost nine of its last 10.