BASKING in a Positive Start

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I was fairly impressed with Stanton. Palmer is a clear upgrade, but even Stanton would be an upgrade over every QB we had last year.
Yeah, Stanton looked much better than I've seen him in the past(which, granted, isn't much) and for a #2, I think the Cardinals did a great job in signing him.

But how he looks speaks to Arians IMO which is more...not surprising, but enlightening to me. I didn't watch much of the Colts last year and thought much of Arians' good press was tied to their HC getting sick and the Andrew Luck media lovefest.

But looking back at his success with the Steelers and the clear improvement on offense already over what Whisenhunt trotted out their each year is making me think that the NFC West is going to come down to injuries. The coaching from top to bottom is really unrivaled in any other division and the Cardinals, for now, are going to be the real sleeper of the bunch.

No one's talking about them at this point but to get the HC of the year, a solid starting QB/potential pro-bowler, solid backup who already knows the system and addition by subtraction by getting rid of Grimm is a major coups for this regime.

I predicted Harbaugh to the 49ers being a bad thing for the NFC West and I think Arians to the Cardinals will be the same. Too bad the media will never focus on the West as it really will be the class of the NFL the next couple of years. At least we'll know what Geno Smith ate for breakfast.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if after a year away, the worst that Levi detractors can point to is one false start, he did rather well (imo)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Defense---very active---didn't even play much of Dockett, Campbell and Dansby---much stronger, more physical---much more aware of where the football is----good, solid tackling---very good depth---just about everyone played well---had to adjust to Packers going to the hurry-up on first possession, and did with nice goalline stand---the deep pass was over pretty good coverage by Cason---Mathieu is all over the place---how about that sack on Harrell?...for a rookie to use body control in that situation and not go screaming right past the QB---he's just so instinctive and so quick to finish.

Interesting lineup during part of Green Bay's first drive. A basic 4-2-5 nickel, not the 2-4-5 of last season.

Campbell, Dockett, Talley, Shaugnessey, with Reggie Walker and Brinkley the LBs was the basic set up.

Shaugnessey reminded me of Kyle Vandenbosch the way he would crash down the line toward the ball carrier. Also looks like the reports on Brinkley were correct. The guy is a thumper. I was surprised to see Walker instead of DWash or Dansby.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Good post Mitch. I think your analysis is spot on. I was very impressed with Patric Scott, Receiver Hawkins and, linebacker Demens. I think all will make a push for the roster.

I think the new pickups played almost universally well. It is obvious that management was looking for high-effort guys. I think Jasper Brinkley, Frostee Rucker, Jerraud Powers, Mike Stanton and Javier Arenas all played very well. Almost all of the rookies played and played well.

I also thought that Brinkley, Rucker, and Earl Watson played with an attitude. They were physical and it showed. I like our "nice guys" like Acho and Campbell, but it's clear Keim wanted some mean and nasty players to compliment what we have.

I don't really know what to say about DC Jefferson. I agree he looks the part, but man did he drop some easy passes. I agree with Dave Pasch when he said the Cardinals will look at other tight ends that are cut in the preseason.

Also very impressed with Stanton. I kind of thought he would be the Russ Grimm of this roster, where he earns the job because of his friendship with the head coach and gets a pass on the results. I saw accurate passing and a willingness to stay in the pocket and take the hit to deliver a pass.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good post Mitch. I think your analysis is spot on. I was very impressed with Patric Scott, Receiver Hawkins and, linebacker Demens. I think all will make a push for the roster.

I think the new pickups played almost universally well. It is obvious that management was looking for high-effort guys. I think Jasper Brinkley, Frostee Rucker, Jerraud Powers, Mike Stanton and Javier Arenas all played very well. Almost all of the rookies played and played well.

I also thought that Brinkley, Rucker, and Earl Watson played with an attitude. They were physical and it showed. I like our "nice guys" like Acho and Campbell, but it's clear Keim wanted some mean and nasty players to compliment what we have.

I don't really know what to say about DC Jefferson. I agree he looks the part, but man did he drop some easy passes. I agree with Dave Pasch when he said the Cardinals will look at other tight ends that are cut in the preseason.

Also very impressed with Stanton. I kind of thought he would be the Russ Grimm of this roster, where he earns the job because of his friendship with the head coach and gets a pass on the results. I saw accurate passing and a willingness to stay in the pocket and take the hit to deliver a pass.

Earl Watford.

RedRover

Reaction score
I didn’t watch until late in the second quarter and haven’t had a chance to check the box score but I was impressed by several things including the overall discipline as I saw very few penalties, the tackling has improved , the competitiveness as they played hard and the lack of turnovers. These are the things that win games so I’m optimistic that we’re headed in the right direction.

I was disappointed in the O-line as we still can’t get a good push up the middle but the pass blocking is improved. All three teams in our division can bring the pressure but I’m not sure if we’re good enough at this point to compete against these guys ( not many teams are) but I believe the line will get better as the season goes on. Arians will definitely be aggressive in his play calling and I love that as you have to attack teams through the air in today’s game.

I was pleased with the defense overall but we still have trouble in the middle and maybe Williams steps up this year to become a force as that’s the key to the 3-4. There’s not much speed on the outside so we’ll definitely need to funnel Wilson and Kaepernick to the middle. The secondary is solid so no complaints there.

As for players that impressed me. Hawkins has a good chance to be a solid receiver and returner. Taylor’s the real deal and I don’t understand complaints about his average as the O-line didn’t open holes or sustain their blocks. He runs hard, has enough vision to get to second level consistently, his pass blocking is good and most importantly, I have a feeling he’ll protect the football. He’s not flashy but I’ll take him on my team any day. What can you say about #32 – he’s a play maker. I may be the only guy here who likes Lindley as he made some very nice throws. He can wing it but I’m not sure how effective he’ll be in the red zone as he appears to lack touch. There were others to point out.

Overall – a good start.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I'm surprised we ran more than we passed, am happy about getting some live run reps, seen how it help the pass protection instantly. BA rides play action and that only happens if you run the ball- even if you run it so so- like we did. Be nice to have Mendahall healthy but I aint counting on him or Rwill - plan for the worse and hope for the best at the RB position.

Fundamentally we were weak on both sides of the ball, (tackling and blocking) but BA wants the live preseason reps instead of beating up our own players in camp- He has my benefit of the doubt ( like I have a choice)

Overall We seen a lil window of what we are becoming, It doesn't look like Indy? the open backfield on 2nd down with 3 TE's shows the aggression at base formations, but if we don't try to disrespect or "trick" NFL defenses too much, we'll be ok. I mean you need to set up the opportunity to get chunks of yardage.

I think depth talent upgrades at several positions will become available with the final cuts, so the turnover is not finished yet. The refs still hate us, even in preseason - calling crap on the cards - that other teams do worse to us on a regular basis. bA could have challenged more- He needs to practice that in preseason to be smooth well oiled coaching machine by the regular season- that is the rookie HC mistakes I remember about Whiz- challenge process ignorance and game and time management, lets see if we keep 2 QB's like Whiz? I think Stanton and Lindley can be upgraded with better prospects.

DD's 1/12 sacks and career low in tackles last year, shows what I have been saying, He plays great when he wants too- hopefully he wants to more- he has his 2 early contracts and top pay- so it aint about the money- I don't think it is about scheme either- his attitude and mind are inconsistent- he needs a monumental emotional reason to play elite.

Death of the Segway Ballet! a happy dance in a soft camp.

Last edited:

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
A real nice and thorough analysis Mitch!

For the most part, 82CARDSGRAD summed up my thoughts: "...still not sure how to process a Cards win like that... My eyes haven't seen such a thoroughly well-played and well-coached game from this team in like, forever! And it's clear just how much depth we have across the entire team..."

However, had Rodgers stayed in longer, we may not have had our way as much. Still, it was clear that our reserves were much better than the Packs'.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't help but feel good about last night. The good for me included the young receivers, Brown, Hawkins and Buckner. Stanton's play was a shock to me as I have heard mostly bad reports. He seems real smart and calm which any coach would like.

On D besides the Honey Badger I liked what I saw from Jefferson, Rowe and Demens. Also liked how Minter moves to the ball.

The bad would include the run blocking but I will wait till Mendenhall is in there to judge the run game. Taylor showed some good quickness though and he pass protects well.

Bottom line I kept waiting for bad stuff to happen and it didn't. A feel good win even if only preseason.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And not a single turnover on offense last night. Feels like it's been awhile. Abraham's first play: Sack/forced fumble.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Very impressed last night, save for the run game. Loved the Abraham sack. Seeing Carson Palmer at QB is fantastic.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So many key additions to this roster among those that played last night,

Palmer, Abraham, Matthieu, Brown (back from injury), Fanaika, Cooper, Arenas, Stanton, Taylor

Wow. Kudo's to the front office for getting them here and to the coaching staff for making it work so far.

It seemed like, in years past, there was such a half hearted effort at actually filling roster spots. What a difference between getting Kolb and getting Palmer. While the offensive line has improved, the decision making at the qb position is so much better and quicker.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I went back and watched Palmers drives. MAN it is so nice to have a guy who throws a beautiful ball ala Kurt Warner. The spiral is so tight and smooth.

We can talk about all the other developments but the REAL news for this team is CP3. We had well below average/replacement level QB play last 3 years and my belief when acquiring Palmer was even bringing that up to average gives us a shot at 8-8 with the talent elsewhere.

But what I saw from Palmer in TC and last night could mean above average production, maybe even just below Pro Bowl caliber play. We keep him clean and he is far and away the best QB we have had in Arizona history other then Kurt. Pedigree, Arm, Accuracy..... damn it feels good to be a gangster

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Truthiness.
Only thing that bummed me out tonight was seeing Levi Brown look a lot like the Levi Brown everyone remembered.

How so------He handled Clay Matthews completely in pass protection, (one of the best edge rushers in the game)? One false start against one of the quickest edge rushers in the game is nothing, because if you are not ready to explode, you lose in this situation. Also, our QB could have made it easier by not going to a long count when in a critical situation like trying to come out from our own end zone. Trying to hold your water when you are primed to explode so as to deal with Matthews, is a recipe for disaster. We will get better at these situations. BA practices situational football. This entire line did very well, (Levi included). Our top QB never was close to getting sacked. There was a clean pocket most of the game. This O-line can play, (Levi included). Until you hear BA getting on him, you shouldn't be doing it either.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I went back and watched Palmers drives. MAN it is so nice to have a guy who throws a beautiful ball ala Kurt Warner. The spiral is so tight and smooth.

We can talk about all the other developments but the REAL news for this team is CP3. We had well below average/replacement level QB play last 3 years and my belief when acquiring Palmer was even bringing that up to average gives us a shot at 8-8 with the talent elsewhere.

But what I saw from Palmer in TC and last night could mean above average production, maybe even just below Pro Bowl caliber play. We keep him clean and he is far and away the best QB we have had in Arizona history other then Kurt. Pedigree, Arm, Accuracy..... damn it feels good to be a gangster

Warner was not a tight spiral QB ala Palmer. It wobbled but got there.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Warner was not a tight spiral QB ala Palmer. It wobbled but got there.

On intermediate routes he threw the ball in a tight spiral and got it out quick. But you are right on deep balls. We may have one of the prettiest (and most accurate) deep ball throwers in the league in Palmer surpassing even Warner.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The main thing that registered with me was how coached up and prepared to play the game our Cards were . Watching other teams play on the NFL Network , and must say we look like a well oiled machine compared to most of them ( EXAMPLE ) Stealers --- Giants , with 12 minutes to go in the 2'nd qt. Stealers have already used all three of their TO's -------- Giants with 7 mins. left in 2'nd qt. already used all three of their TO's .
These two teams looked as if they used half of their practice time to STRETCH !!!

I believe with the player talent that we have , Arians and staff can take this team a long way .

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
The main thing that registered with me was how coached up and prepared to play the game our Cards were . Watching other teams play on the NFL Network , and must say we look like a well oiled machine compared to most of them ( EXAMPLE ) Stealers --- Giants , with 12 minutes to go in the 2'nd qt. Stealers have already used all three of their TO's -------- Giants with 7 mins. left in 2'nd qt. already used all three of their TO's .
These two teams looked as if they used half of their practice time to STRETCH !!!

I believe with the player talent that we have , Arians and staff can take this team a long way .

Agreed-----BA is doing all the right things with this team. He is backing up what he has said would make the difference, and it has. Now the team also sees it. No one figures we shut out Green Bay. Most were predicting a decline in our defensive play. Like BA said after the game, you can't do better than zero. Couple that with the improvement in the offense already, and we are on pace to compete for the division this year. It won't come easily, but with BA's focus on situational football, we will be cleaner on a lot of critical situations than we have been in the past. That bodes well for this team.

Reaction score
The Cardinals are in a tough division with a tough schedule this season. And I am still in a "wait and see" mode with this years team. But, what a difference a real NFL QB makes! As Cardinals fans we haven't seen one in the past three years, until Friday.

I will say this, this time last year no one was expecting the Colts to make a run to the playoffs. . .

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
For the most part this was a very positive effort by the Cardinals IMO.

I'm afraid D.C. Jefferson will always have 'bad hands' and be an unreliable target. That was the ESPN analysis on draft day and it looks like it was correct. Oh well, he's only a 7th round pick not a first-rounder like B.J.

Very impressed with the offense overall. I wasn't expecting an NFL run game at this point, so I'm not really disappointed in that.

Green Bay's first team offense seemed unstoppable until the goal-line stand. That will bear watching. I know Dan Williams and Karlos Dansby weren't playing, but neither was most of Green Bay's receivers.

Great effort! As mentioned by others, this offense is light years ahead of what we've seen the last three years.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
For the most part this was a very positive effort by the Cardinals IMO.

I'm afraid D.C. Jefferson will always have 'bad hands' and be an unreliable target. That was the ESPN analysis on draft day and it looks like it was correct. Oh well, he's only a 7th round pick not a first-rounder like B.J.

Very impressed with the offense overall. I wasn't expecting an NFL run game at this point, so I'm not really disappointed in that.

Green Bay's first team offense seemed unstoppable until the goal-line stand. That will bear watching. I know Dan Williams and Karlos Dansby weren't playing, but neither was most of Green Bay's receivers.

Great effort! As mentioned by others, this offense is light years ahead of what we've seen the last three years.

It is wise to give young players some slack when it comes to catching the football---they have to get to the point where the game slows down and catching becomes second nature.

Breaston and Roberts had their issues with drops their first year.

Jefferson is such a good athlete---and he has been making some outstanding catches in practice. As BA says---if you can do it in practice, you are likely to do it in a game.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05