"Batman" Carroll

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This guy is all over the mock drafts. Listed as going anywhere from 1st to 4th round. They say he has speed but is "raw". Is there a consensus on him? I, initially had him as one of the top six CB's but now am not sure. What does everyone think?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He certainly is fast. I think if we want him we would have to take him at #33. I don't think he will be there at #65. However, this Couclough kid is a little bigger, a little more polished and can return punts if I'm not mistaken.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Garthshort said:
This guy is all over the mock drafts. Listed as going anywhere from 1st to 4th round. They say he has speed but is "raw". Is there a consensus on him? I, initially had him as one of the top six CB's but now am not sure. What does everyone think?

If you run the 100 meters on the Arkansas track team you better believe you got speed. They have won more track national championships in the last decade than any college team. He is quick off the blocks and will be a great one on one cover guy.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Batman has the speed and the potential.

To me, whether he goes in the 2nd round or 4th round - he's still a 3rd or 4th round value because he isn't a proven product (not that very many CB's are).

One other factor that might or might not be relevant - another Arkansas corner. How does Batman today compare with the David Barrett coming out of Arkansas a few years ago? Are the programs the same? Should this influence the decision whether or not to draft him earlier or later?

This is one of those guys a team grabs in the the 3rd round, and you get excited about him and very hopeful that he'll be the real deal; but you can't be really sure he will meet your expectations.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

To me, whether he goes in the 2nd round or 4th round - he's still a 3rd or 4th round value because he isn't a proven product (not that very many CB's are).

One other factor that might or might not be relevant - another Arkansas corner. How does Batman today compare with the David Barrett coming out of Arkansas a few years ago? Are the programs the same? Should this influence the decision whether or not to draft him earlier or later?

This is one of those guys a team grabs in the the 3rd round, and you get excited about him and very hopeful that he'll be the real deal; but you can't be really sure he will meet your expectations.

Batman was a better college player than Barrett and considered one of the best DB's in the nation coming out of high school. Much much faster th Barrett. Since he is only a college soph will be interesting to see where he is drafted. I have no idea. He was new commer of the year in the SEC and all SEC so some people must have liked him. I think he is from near Atlanta. He will be hard to be long but he is not a big back so a Randy Moss could jump over him.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There was 1 link that indicated he was unpolished and
gave up on plays. I think this guy is a 4th round pick imo.

If he didn't have speed he would just be just another CB. Speed doesn't mean you can be a CB or WR in the NFL - the unemployment lines are filled with speedy guys who could not play football.

I am off him and Igor. Cool names are not enough.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Batman

vikesfan said:
There was 1 link that indicated he was unpolished and
gave up on plays. I think this guy is a 4th round pick imo.

If he didn't have speed he would just be just another CB. Speed doesn't mean you can be a CB or WR in the NFL - the unemployment lines are filled with speedy guys who could not play football.

I am off him and Igor. Cool names are not enough.

Vikesfan if I were near you I would bet you he will be long gone before round 4. Being a sophomore he is unpolished but I have watched him for two years play tough ball in the SEC and he was not just another DB. I see him going in round 2 or 3. One thing you cannot teach and you bring to the game every day is speed. Bob Hayes had nothing but speed and I am not even sure he played much football until the Cowboys made him an all pro for many years. I think Carol could also be a return guy. He did it a couple of times at Arkansas but they did not want to get him injured

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes I think he will go before 4 too but I wouldnt take him. There are lots of fast guys that couldn't play. I don't think a 3rd round pick should be used on a kick returner.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Ahmad Carroll has always seemed more of a NFL CB than a college CB. He plays hand fighting, but that will get you flagged more in college. He got a lot of holding and pass interference penalties. He even got 3 unsportmanlike conbduct penalties in just 2 games. His technique is poor. He relies on his speed and when he faced better WR's, he got burned. If he's coachable, he's a good pick. But not before the third round.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
artp said:
Ahmad Carroll has always seemed more of a NFL CB than a college CB. He plays hand fighting, but that will get you flagged more in college. He got a lot of holding and pass interference penalties. He even got 3 unsportmanlike conbduct penalties in just 2 games. His technique is poor. He relies on his speed and when he faced better WR's, he got burned. If he's coachable, he's a good pick. But not before the third round.

artp you must have watched him as you are dead on. He got flagged a lot in college for hand fighting and he does that tooth and nail. he is by no means a sissy CB. he will fight you all the way down the field.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO if he is there when the Cards pick in the third round: take him unless we go db in round two.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

yeah everything he said.

But he also has a great car, a utility belt, and a secret hideout!

If he can catch the Joker, and the Riddler I think he could catch Holt, and Alexander!

:thumbup:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Garthshort said:
I think he goes in the second round. He may even slip into the end of the first round. He was very impressive at the combine and consistently runs in the 4.3 range.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Snakester said:
I think he goes in the second round. He may even slip into the end of the first round. He was very impressive at the combine and consistently runs in the 4.3 range.

He holds the Arkansas record in the 60 yd dash and they have won more NCAA track championships than any other team in the NCAA in the past 20 years. He also has sort of a mean streak in him which will not hurt at his position. He likes to make contact. Sporting News has him going in Rd 2 or 3 because he is unpolished being only a sophomore. He can return kick offs althogh Arkansas did not use him much.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless of how much or how little actual football skill he has as a fast CB he is going to get picked early. There is always an early run on corners whether or not the talent pool justifies it. If we want him he won't be there late, he'll be gone by the end of the second round.

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
carroll is still a little immature. from arkansas i like boa. he reminds of pat tillman and chuck cecil put together. not alot of speed, but alot of heart and hard hitting. i also like that 300 + pound te that arkansas had. sean andrews and him plowwed the the right side for arkansas. i would say draft cedric cobbs, but he had off feild issue and he has a history of injuries. other than that cobbs is a great back. he would worth a 3rd or 4th round pick.