Bears | Briggs wants out?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Bears | Briggs wants out?
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 07:21:43 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs says he does not want to play another game for the team unless the Bears rescind the franchise tag placed on him this offseason. "There's a difference between the Chicago Bears team and the Chicago Bears organization," Briggs said Sunday, March 4. "The Chicago Bears team? The coaches, players, city and fans? Yeah, I could stay there forever. I love it. But the Chicago Bears organization? I don't want to be there anymore. I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there." "They need to either [rescind] the franchise tag, and let me move on, or trade me to another team," Briggs added. "Because that's about the only way this thing can have any kind of a positive resolution."

Get'er done????

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id take him in a heartbeat, we need someone strong next to hayes and dansby, with a great solid starter there I will put us in the top 5 linebacking cores.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He ought to be happy to have a franchise tag.
It's funny that (on the whole) we put athletes in a no-win situation.

On one hand, we say things like this--"hey, he's making mad money with the franchise tag. Why can't he just shut up and play?"

On the other, we deride them for just collecting a paycheck and making far too much money then they probably should.

Here's a guy who's basically saying "I'm not happy here--no matter how much money they're paying me. I want to be able to play with passion and for an organization I believe in."

I think we, as fans, ought to more consistent in our criticism of the players.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Surely you jest.

No.

I sort of agree with Jason, and I know Joey Porter have not been too easy himself.

Anyway I do believe Porter would fit better into our system, so even though it is a little double standard Briggs continuous complains, wailing or whatever it is do the trick.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No.

I sort of agree with Jason, and I know Joey Porter have not been too easy himself.

Anyway I do believe Porter would fit better into our system, so even though it is a little double standard Briggs continuous complains, wailing or whatever it is do the trick.

Really! and your belief is based on what?

(Porter has been a LB in a 3-4 system all of his NFL career to the best of my knowledge; so how could you possibly know that he'd be a seamless fit into a 4-3 system?)

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Wouldn't we have to give up our 1st to get him? Or is it second? Just curious...or we could trade 'em JJ or BJ and third :)

Jim_Hart

Reaction score

(Porter has been a LB in a 3-4 system all of his NFL career to the best of my knowledge; so how could you possibly know that he'd be a seamless fit into a 4-3 system?)

Exactly. 3-4 LBs notoriously have trouble attaining their same level of productivity when they switch to a 4-3 (i.e. Jonathon Vilma, etc.).

Porter may work out ... he may not. We have no way to know as he has never played a down in the NFL in a system other than a 3-4. But Briggs?! Oh my God. We should make an effort to get a player like that. IMO you can almost guarantee that with Briggs aboard a player like Dansby would also see a huge increase in his effectiveness.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. 3-4 LBs notoriously have trouble attaining their same level of productivity when they switch to a 4-3 (i.e. Jonathon Vilma, etc.).

Porter may work out ... he may not. We have no way to know as he has never played a down in the NFL in a system other than a 3-4. But Briggs?! Oh my God. We should make an effort to get a player like that. IMO you can almost guarantee that with Briggs aboard a player like Dansby would also see a huge increase in his effectiveness.

I'm not sure if it is true or not but I heard Mike Jurecki say that the Cardinals are looking at adding a LB or two because they want to eventually move to a 3-4. Did anyone else hear this?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

I'm not sure that he will fit either, but some of my argumentations for that he might fit is that we don't have a traditional SLB. Pendergast use various fronts where the SLB plays on the line like a 3-4 OLB and works almost like a 5th D-lineman.

Jim_Hart

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is true or not but I heard Mike Jurecki say that the Cardinals are looking at adding a LB or two because they want to eventually move to a 3-4. Did anyone else hear this?

I have heard the same. However, it generally takes about two years to truly restock the cupboard with players to suit a 3-4. By then would Porter have anything in the tank?

Perhaps Clancy could insert a hybrid type D where Porter would be able to do what he does best in specific situations. Although he would be a rather expensive situational player.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
The Bears can trade him for any picks they think they can get.

There are several Franchise tags and I don't know what one Briggs got, but at minimum if you just sign him, it would cost a team's 1st round pick, possible 2 1st round picks.

A side note, it has to be the teams official pick. You can't trade your pick for say, IND's pick and then try to give that pick in trade.

But like I said, the Bears can if they choose trade him for whatever they want.

Briggs wants out of Chicago because he is tired of playing in Urlacher shadow.

OP
OP
imaCafan

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I know he is no spring chicken, but isn't Porter turning 30 this month? He should have 4-5 more decent years left in him, no??????

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Here's a guy who's basically saying "I'm not happy here--no matter how much money they're paying me. I want to be able to play with passion and for an organization I believe in."

Is that what he's saying, or is he saying, "I don't want the franchise tag because it only guarantees me $7 mil. (or whatever it is). I want to sign a long-term deal somewhere else so I can get a $15 mil. signing bonus."

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that what he's saying, or is he saying, "I don't want the franchise tag because it only guarantees me $7 mil. (or whatever it is). I want to sign a long-term deal somewhere else so I can get a $15 mil. signing bonus."
I don't think so. Over the next two years the franchise tag is more financially rewarding--he'll get paid $7M (or whatever it is) this year, and get his even bigger payday again next year.

If he signs with another team this season, yeah, he gets his payday, but it's for an extended period -- not the extra $7M this year.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's funny that (on the whole) we put athletes in a no-win situation.

On one hand, we say things like this--"hey, he's making mad money with the franchise tag. Why can't he just shut up and play?"

On the other, we deride them for just collecting a paycheck and making far too much money then they probably should.

I think we, as fans, ought to more consistent in our criticism of the players.
Great post.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

Really?

We can cross Adams of the list at #5 then if that really is the plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05