Bears | Briggs wants out?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Briggs for Fitz?

Briggs for #5 overall?

lol

Briggs was offered a $40 million extension last year and turned it down (I don't recall the amount of the signing bonus on it). Rosenhaus is his agent thus the pissing and moaning.

The system Lovie runs is designed to make Briggs the impact player on defense and so that helps inflate Griggs production as does playing next to Urlacher. I never once heard opposing QB say "I have to know where Briggs is every play" but you heard that alot with regards to Urlacher.

Briggs is a good LB but way short of greatness. He whiffs too many tackles for my liking especially when the scheme is designed for him to make the plays.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
In regard to Briggs...

IMO, these guys get pissed about the franchise tag more due to the fact that leading up to free agency, they are thinking about what they are going to do with the 15 or 20 million dollars someone is about to hand them when they sign.

I can imagine it's very frustrating not to get to decide where you play but even more so, that you basically are put on the shelf until your team is ready to negotiate and they kind of have leverage on you.

Don't get me wrong...there are much much worse situations in life. Like laying awake at night wondering if you are going to even be able to provide food for your family...so, I don't feel to sorry for the pro guys.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Briggs for Fitz?

The system Lovie runs is designed to make Briggs the impact player on defense and so that helps inflate Griggs production as does playing next to Urlacher. I never once heard opposing QB say "I have to know where Briggs is every play" but you heard that alot with regards to Urlacher.

Don't Briggs and Cato June play the same position in the same defense?

Regardless, Briggs is a solid LB but he is not Urlacher, Ray Lewis, or LT.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Really?

We can cross Adams of the list at #5 then if that really is the plan.

I have not read what TheCardfan tell us, but my first thought reading this post was trading down taking Patrick Willis. I know he is a inside linebacker, but I doubt a rookie cannot be transferred to either sides.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think so. Over the next two years the franchise tag is more financially rewarding--he'll get paid $7M (or whatever it is) this year, and get his even bigger payday again next year.

If he signs with another team this season, yeah, he gets his payday, but it's for an extended period -- not the extra $7M this year.

If he signs a new contract this year with say - a 15 million dollar guaranteed bonus - he gets it right away. The team then pro-rates the bonus against the cap over the length of the contract. There isn't a scenario for him where he's not better off signing a longer term deal now with commensurate bonus.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he signs a new contract this year with say - a 15 million dollar guaranteed bonus - he gets it right away. The team then pro-rates the bonus against the cap over the length of the contract. There isn't a scenario for him where he's not better off signing a longer term deal now with commensurate bonus.
What's more financially rewarding?
5 years, $40M, $15 guaranteed (if he gets traded and signed long-term)
or
6 years, $47M, $22M guaranteed (if he plays a year under the tag and gets released next year and signs the same deal he would this off season)

Seems to me the better deal is playing under the tag this year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What's more financially rewarding?
5 years, $40M, $15 guaranteed (if he gets traded and signed long-term)
or
6 years, $47M, $22M guaranteed (if he plays a year under the tag and gets released next year and signs the same deal he would this off season)

Seems to me the better deal is playing under the tag this year.

Unless he blows out a knee this year.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever. My point is he's not doing it for a payday, because he could get that with the Bears.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whatever. My point is he's not doing it for a payday, because he could get that with the Bears.

If that's your point, I'd revise.

He turned down a 33 million dollar offer.

$$$, when, how much and for how long, figures into the equation.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
A pay day is collecting on your bonus and base salary over the course of 5 years while receiving a bonus upon signing.

The franchise tag, as great as it sounds to us, is not great for the players. In this case Briggs, a linebacker, could easily get hurt and/or not record 90+ tackles again next year. If either of those two happen his value diminishes and he receives less guaranteed money.

In the NFL its all about guaranteed money. 7 mil for one year is fine, but ill take 15-20 mil guaranteed over the course of 5 years, not to mention the base, incentives, and financial security.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05