Belkin WINS!!!: Judge grants Belkin's Injunction

fordronken

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I can almost guarantee that the Phoenix Suns don't want P.J. Brown now that they have Kurt Thomas. Brown will make $9 million per season for the next 2-3 years.

It looks like it's going to take some creativity here. The only thing that would truly upset me is if the Phoenix Suns get significantly less than what they had already agreed upon in a sign and trade deal, or even worse if JJ signs the one-year tender.

Joe Mama

Actually, the one year tender wouldn't be as bad as it seems. It's basically just a one year rent-a-JJ. After that, the Suns will have to make moves to figure things out, but they will have another midlevel and with JJ off the books I'm sure they can figure something out. You treat it as a one year shot for a title. After that, you have some financial flexibility and you try to put the other pieces you need to either repeat or make another run.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dustbuster said:
Definitely. If he still signs an offer sheet from them at this point he either is completely clueless or he does have some very serious reason for wanting to be in Atlanta. If I were he, I would scared to death about the future right now.

Hopefully if he does end up still on the Suns, he will be very penitent and with a little less ego. To me this is still the best option for the Suns from a basketball perspective, if not financial. But if what Sarver said is correct, he may be less tight than what we've perceived him to be. Maybe he is willing to spend to have a winner. All of those extra nationally televised games ought to help!

The way I look at it, he'd be a fool to sign it if he doesn't want to play in Phoenix, because if he signs either with Atlanta or Phoenix, he will be a Sun next year. Period. Signing the contract with Atlanta might as well be signing with Phoenix because we will match. Which is why he'd be a fool to sign it if he truly does not want to be a Phoenix Sun. Of course, he just might be greedy and it doesn't matter WHERE he plays, but that's not the indications he and his agent have given.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know it's a little blown out of context, but Amare saying in his interview that they don't need Joe Johnson back can't make Joe any happier.

I agree. We've all seen how poorly Johnson has played in the past when his confidence is shaky. Not only does he know that the Suns have moved on and don't really want him anymore, but he's had to spend the last week reading endless media reports about how no one really thinks he's worth a maximum contract. For a player whose psychological makeup has always been questionable, this is not looking good at all.

PrimeTime

Rookie
Reaction score
I think the Cavs Owner would sooner give up his child, than trade Lebron. Shaq is untouchable as well. Now with these KG rumors floating around... its possible, not probrably however.

The Suns ownership cannot settle here. If one team offers something for Joe, and its not enough.. get another team involved. 3, 4, or 5 teams if neccessary. Just make sure that you get fair compensation.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The way I look at it, he'd be a fool to sign it if he doesn't want to play in Phoenix, because if he signs either with Atlanta or Phoenix, he will be a Sun next year. Period. Signing the contract with Atlanta might as well be signing with Phoenix because we will match. Which is why he'd be a fool to sign it if he truly does not want to be a Phoenix Sun. Of course, he just might be greedy and it doesn't matter WHERE he plays, but that's not the indications he and his agent have given.
Well, only if he hates Phoenix, I agree. However, if he was halfway sincere that if he was signed by Phoenix, he would play hard, then he has $70 million reasons to sign. We win.

If he wants away from Phoenix, every other team that could sign him besides Atlanta, has guys that we could use. If he wants to go elsewhere, we still win.

If he signs the one year tender, and we own his Bird rights we still win.

I don't see how we don't win out of this ruling today.... :D

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

That's true. So are we back to square one? Will Belkin even approve extending an offer to JJ? It seems to me that this has become the symbol of a more complex battle internally. I think that at the moment only JJ or Belkin will be with the Hawks next year, and right now Belkin looks to be far more of a certainty than JJ. Did King jump the gun on this one? I read that he refused to shake Belkin's hand in court.

Boy, talk about making a bad franchise worse.

Djaughe

Reaction score
lol...found this in a hawks message board...the fans are going nuts!

You must be registered for see images

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
or even worse if JJ signs the one-year tender.

What would be so bad about that? They'd still have his Bird rights, so he and his agent would still have incentive next summer to go the sign-and-trade route, giving the Suns compensation. I'd much rather have Johnson at one year for $3.2 million than at five years for $70 million.

I don't believe there's any team out there that is going to give JJ anymore than this current deal. They will not sign him to a Michael Redd-like contract, and I certainly don't believe JJ and his agent will do the Suns any favors. The ONLY way I could see a sign and trade involving JJ deck summer is if he really, really wanted to go to a team without the room under the salary cap to sign him.

I consider him signing the one-year tender to be a disaster. To be honest I would prefer that he was signed and traded this summer at this point. I'd be fine if he came back with a long-term contract though.

I sure hope the Phoenix Suns are telling Atlanta right now, "if that offer isn't on the table anymore you'd better figure something out that makes us as happy or more happy. Otherwise we are matching the offer for JJ."

Regarding the one-year tender... I don't care what the Phoenix Suns pay him this season. His contract really only matters for future seasons. So the $3.5 million versus $12.5 million for this season has no bearing IMO. I do think he should make the team better this season and a championship run, but if he knows he's out after this year I could easily see a lack of chemistry.

Joe

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Well, only if he hates Phoenix, I agree. However, if he was halfway sincere that if he was signed by Phoenix, he would play hard, then he has $70 million reasons to sign. We win.

I disagree with your conclusion. That contract is horrible and forces us to trade Marion for squat (which I believe many on here hoping for Joe's return will be upset next year when they see what little we get back in order to get the payroll down).

Joe is not worth all that IMO. Especially when he has alienated the entire organization.

PrimeTime

Rookie
Reaction score
Everyone, tune into 790thezone, atlanta's radio station. After this break, they are gonna run down everything, and the latest on the story.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The ONLY way I could see a sign and trade involving JJ deck summer is if he really, really wanted to go to a team without the room under the salary cap to sign him.

But wouldn't that be fairly likely?

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
If JJ does end up coming back to the Suns, then we can only hope that he was very serious when he talked about putting everything behind him and working his tail off.

I also have high hopes that his fragile state of mind in terms of his on court play are behind him. It seems that he has developed some ego, and if that is properly channeled, should make his on-court play all the better. I would prefer him to come back to the Suns and try to make a point to the Hawks that they don't know how much they are missing...

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Regarding the one-year tender... I don't care what the Phoenix Suns pay him this season. His contract really only matters for future seasons. So the $3.5 million versus $12.5 million for this season has no bearing IMO. I do think he should make the team better this season and a championship run, but if he knows he's out after this year I could easily see a lack of chemistry.

Joe

I dont worry as much about the lack of chemistry as I do about the lack of confidence. A JJ that isnt wanted could crawl back into his shell. Now that is scary. A player that averages 10 pts a game and gets a 70mil/5year contract.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Also, if you are the Suns and he calls with a new deal, do you trust him, AGAIN? :shrug:

I would ask to talk to Belkin to see if he was okay with the deal and not Billy. :thumbup:

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
I dont think the Suns have an option to bring Joe back at this point, he doesnt want to be here and I cant imagine his teammates want him back. I know I wouldn't and it doesnt sound like Amare does. We need to find another sign and trade that would work. If we could get J.R. Smith straight up for Joe I would do that in a second and New Orleans might just because it would look good to their fan base. But I'm sure there will be alot of interesting rumors floating around in the next few days and I wouldnt be suprised to see the Suns end up with a better deal out of this hole thing... or at least lets hope.

Kolo

Reaction score
From an ajc article:

Immediately after the judge's ruling, the Hawks' owners, including Belkin, went behind closed doors in the courthouse for a Board of Managers meeting apparently to plan their next action.

A short time later, the meeting ended, with Mullin saying: "[The] Atlanta Spirit is seeking prior approval from the NBA commissioner for the removal of Steve Belkin as NBA governor and the NBA has indicated we will [recieve] an expeditious response."

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
B-Dogg said:
I dont think the Suns have an option to bring Joe back at this point, he doesnt want to be here and I cant imagine his teammates want him back. I know I wouldn't and it doesnt sound like Amare does. We need to find another sign and trade that would work. If we could get J.R. Smith straight up for Joe I would do that in a second and New Orleans might just because it would look good to their fan base. But I'm sure there will be alot of interesting rumors floating around in the next few days and I wouldnt be suprised to see the Suns end up with a better deal out of this hole thing... or at least lets hope.

I don't think there's any way New Orleans is going to give up JR Smith for JJ.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
From an ajc article:

"Quote:
Immediately after the judge's ruling, the Hawks' owners, including Belkin, went behind closed doors in the courthouse for a Board of Managers meeting apparently to plan their next action.

A short time later, the meeting ended, with Mullin saying: "[The] Atlanta Spirit is seeking prior approval from the NBA commissioner for the removal of Steve Belkin as NBA governor and the NBA has indicated we will [recieve] an expeditious response." "

David Stern, "No! You CANNOT remove Steve Belkin as governor. You idiots voted him in for 5 years!" :D :stupid:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These guys (on radio) are going on about how Stern should have the final word, not the judge in Boston. I wonder their reaction if the same decision is reached?

Djaughe

Reaction score
KloD said:
These guys (on radio) are going on about how Stern should have the final word, not the judge in Boston. I wonder their reaction if the same decision is reached?

I'm sure it'll be similar to the 1200 atlanta fans beating their heads against the wall...