SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The correct order is (if looking at their Suns careers):

Nash
KJ
Kidd
Marbury

If you look at their entire careers, Kidd is ahead of KJ due to longevity and health. But if you said I had one game to try and win, give me KJ over the ******* Kidd any day of the week.

Absolutely. It seems pretty obvious to me, KJ is still my favorite though.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will say that KJ in his prime would eat Nash alive in his IMO. Nash couldn't keep up with KJ and KJ would score at will on Nash (like most top PGs did through his career). Not even close to me.

Nash "won" 2 MVP's but Shaq should have won one year and Kobe the other. He was good but he wasn't MVP of the league either year IMO. BUT, he does have the trophies so I give him that. But it doesn't make him the BEST because he has 2 MVPs and the others don't.

Again, it's all my opinion and KJ was one of my very favorite Suns players of all time. So, I am a bit biased (and old) :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that KJ in his prime would eat Nash alive in his IMO. Nash couldn't keep up with KJ and KJ would score at will on Nash (like most top PGs did through his career). Not even close to me.

Nash "won" 2 MVP's but Shaq should have won one year and Kobe the other. He was good but he wasn't MVP of the league either year IMO. BUT, he does have the trophies so I give him that. But it doesn't make him the BEST because he has 2 MVPs and the others don't.

Again, it's all my opinion and KJ was one of my very favorite Suns players of all time. So, I am a bit biased (and old) :)

There are those who think Nash should have won MVP for a third year. KJ was good but let's not forget how good Nash was.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What about the other two MVPs. Mostly Suns fans and Canadians as well?

Not really, everybody was in love with Nash's game for a good moment in time, myself included. His run and gun was surrounded by his three ball and dishing abilities, those offenses we're pretty amazing.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Westy was as much of a point guard as he was a shooting guard at that stage of his career and they each set up the offense. Also, they each lost assist numbers to the fact that we ran our offense through our center frequently. If you don't consider him a true point guard then what do you call him?

Steve
I guess I would call Westy and Buse Shooting Guards who shared the Point (with the lite Center).

The opposite of Dragic and Bledsoe, two Point Guards who share the Wing.

Except for Westy and his ambidextrous scoring (that was something to watch, wasn't it, Steve?) and Buse's and DJ's defense, there was too much drifting in the way they were used to call them "true" Point Guards.

Would you agree that, in those roles, none of the five were traditional? Part of the reason that the Suns mantra has always been entertaining rather than a strong contender. That is apparently all Colangelo and his successor have wanted them to be.

'Good perhaps for their pocketbooks, but not for us die-hard fans. And, now, here we go again.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People don't remember but prime KJ was a monster.

1. KJ
2. Kidd
3. Nash
4. marburry

As good as Nash was god he was so one sided.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
People don't remember but prime KJ was a monster.

1. KJ
2. Kidd
3. Nash
4. marburry

As good as Nash was god he was so one sided.
With all due respect, KJ was your MVP. Nash was the league's MVP -- twice.

That is not opinion, that is fact. It is hard to overlook.

Not only did he make the rest of his team better. He had to cover the flaws of his one-dimensional coach.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With all due respect, KJ was your MVP. Nash was the league's MVP -- twice.

That is not opinion, that is fact. It is hard to overlook.

Not only did he make the rest of his team better. He had to cover the flaws of his one-dimensional coach.

His "one-dimensional" coach is what made him the MVP :)

He really can't play in any other system as effectively.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns have probably had the best point guards overall, it's what you think about when you think Suns basketball. KJ had some incredible team mates, that played the style of ball I saw the Suns and Spurs play this year. Just full on teamwork. KJ was a different breed, he would dunk on you if you really really pissed him off. He had that kind of Jordan mentality and ability, Steve did not.

Steve Nash got his through good old fashioned fundamentals that pure basketball folks just loved, the same way I loved watching the Spurs dismantle the Heat, both in the play offs, and after the play offs (too early?). Both involved their teams, both got into their teams faces, but Nash was in the perfect system, but Pops figured us out too. We've had some Championship teams, but Jordan and Pops man... Jordan and Pops.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
His "one-dimensional" coach is what made him the MVP :)

He really can't play in any other system as effectively.
D'Antoni gave Nash SSOL and free reign to run the offense. That's true!

But, as we all know, D'Antoni . . .

-- Wore out his rotation of 7, or sometimes 8, players as the season wore on
-- Treated defense as a joke, publicly
-- Said it wasn't his job to develop young players

He was indeed one-dimensional. He had the idea. Steve did the work. Steve made himself MVP. And got D'Antoni coach of the year.

Phoenix, New York and L.A. each found out how limited D'Antoni was as a Head Coach. A one-trick pony. And his days in the sun have ended.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
KJ & Nash are very tough to argue against.

Nash might be the best pure shooter in the history of the NBA. How many times was he 50% - 90% - 40%? 2 MVP's, Longevity, etc.

KJ took us to the finals, and statistically, had some monster years. 20pts + 10 assists for 5 out of 6 years. 20ppg & 12 assists in 89 then 20ppg and 9 apg in 97. So he was elite for quite a while also.

Where Nash separates himself is his complete domination of shooting the basketball. His %'s are nuts. For 6 straight years he shot over 50% from the field, 90% from the FT line, and 40% from the 3pt line. KJ was never on that level.

The MVP argument is silly because Nash played in an era where it was much easier to win it. KJ had Chuck on his own team for a while and Jordan, Magic, Larry, & Wilkens all in their prime. You can't compare the two that way.

But statistically..... Nash matched or exceeded KJ in Assists, and KJ had a higher PPG. Nash was just so much more efficient.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
KJ & Nash are very tough to argue against.

Nash might be the best pure shooter in the history of the NBA. How many times was he 50% - 90% - 40%? 2 MVP's, Longevity, etc.

KJ took us to the finals, and statistically, had some monster years. 20pts + 10 assists for 5 out of 6 years. 20ppg & 12 assists in 89 then 20ppg and 9 apg in 97. So he was elite for quite a while also.

Where Nash separates himself is his complete domination of shooting the basketball. His %'s are nuts. For 6 straight years he shot over 50% from the field, 90% from the FT line, and 40% from the 3pt line. KJ was never on that level.

The MVP argument is silly because Nash played in an era where it was much easier to win it. KJ had Chuck on his own team for a while and Jordan, Magic, Larry, & Wilkens all in their prime. You can't compare the two that way.

But statistically..... Nash matched or exceeded KJ in Assists, and KJ had a higher PPG. Nash was just so much more efficient.

:raccoon:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
KJ, Nash, Kidd.
Marbury.

KJ didn't have Steve's range but his FG and FT percentage was more than good. And he got to the line. Steve couldn't take over games like that when Chuck and Dan disappeared. Ridiculous he did not make the 50 best players list when guys like Payton and lesser dudes made it.