Bickley Blog on Fitz

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I know that Dan Bickley has been focusing on the Diamondbacks the past few weeks---but I have been anxiously awaiting his response to the recent Minnesota debacle and the shortcomings of this so-called "All-In" Cardinals' team---

And usually I like what Bickley has to say and what he focuses on (perhaps if I listened to him every day like many of you do, I wouldn't be as approving of him)---

But this recent Bickley Blog, imo, is about as disappointing and egregious as the Minnesota debacle itself. And yet, I think it speaks volumes as to how wrong the NFL football culture is in Arizona, especially including the media's contributions to how wrong it is.

Has Larry Fitzgerald become the Jerry Jones of the Arizona Cardinals? I mean to quote Tom Jackson, "C'MON MAN!"

Today Bickley focuses a central portion of the Cardinals' woes on Larry Fitzgerald's frustration of not having the #2 WR to take "the pressure" off of him. Repeat after me: "C'MON MAN!"

Here's how misguided this whole abomination of a blog is:

1. There are FAR worse problems with the Cardinals right now than the #2 WR position.

2. Yet, in Arizona---that's where the focus is, not only by the media, but by focusing so much on Fitzgerald and what he's thinking and feeling---and by Ken Whisenhunt, Rod Graves and the entire organization who hoard WRs likes it's always the top item on their agendas.

Put it this way---1/8 of the current Cardinal personnel are WRs (6 on the roster and 2 on the PS). Of those players---draft picks or free agent were spent in the following manner:

1-1st (Fitzgerald)
2-3rds (Doucet, Roberts)
1-7th (Sampson)
1-UFA (Stuckey)
3-UCFAs (Williams, 2 PS additions)

Keep this in perspective now---the team runs a 34 defense they keys to which are having a good NT and great OLBers.

Right now, conversely to what the organization has done to hoard WRs---here's what the organization has done to build its OLB unit:

As apposed to 8 WRs---we are looking at 4 OLBers:

2-UFA (35 year old way past their prime OLBers in Haggans and Porter)
2-4th rounders (Schofield, Acho)

Guess how many OLBers the coaches are grooming on the PS?

ZERO.

We habe 2 WRs and 0 OLBers---wow.

Now---if that wasn't persuasive enough for you---how about the offensive tackle situation? There are 4 on the roster and 1 on the PS.

1-1st rounder (Brown---who has never shown the ability to be a tackle)
1-7th rounder (Keith)
2-UFAs (Bridges, Batiste)

YET---POOR LARRY!

OK---let's get back to Larry. First of all, it was regrettable that Larry talked about having a good #2 WR in the PAST tense and was lamenting about not having Q or Breaston. Seems that Early Doucet is having a pretty good year---but sorry Early, in Fitz's mind you can't hold Q's or Breastie's jock.

THEN---let's talk about what the real problems are with this team:

1. The defense is soft.
2. No edge pressure in the pass rush whatsoever---not even respectable.
2. The pass protection on the edges is poor.
4. The new QB gets happy feet when he doesn't need to---and, worst of all, he doesn't define the pocket or come anywhere close to defining and/or commanding the pocket....which...isn't going to allow the offense to excel with any consistency.

And BTW Larry---the HC that you so love and adore---well, how come when you are being pressed and he doesn't put you in motion? Why does he LET you get taken away? Jerry Rice never let any team take him away, neither did Cris Carter. But they played for coaches who knew how to get them open versus any coverages...especially in the red zone.

How come you dropped the first pass in the Minnesota game?

How come you didn't shield off Corey Brewster on the 4th and 2 that ended the Giants' game?

And how come you are not the same player you were when Haley was here?

POOR POOR LARRY!

Oh---and another thing---this year you have TEs who can occupy the safety---which you conveniently omitted from your candid discussion with Bickley.

Sure---in Arizona it's all about Larry---isn't it? POOR POOR LARRY, BOO HOO!

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
uh, wow. i think mitch has finally lost it.

perhaps fitz was just responding to questions about the #2. and imo, he wasn't wrong. is it the biggest problem? of course not. all the other reasons you listed are MUCH bigger problems. but that doesn't make the lack of a #2 not a problem.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Mitch, those of us here in the Valley know to never, EVER let ANYTHING spewed from the lips or fingers of Bickley get us worked up. Seriously, he is as bush league as they come. Having grown up reading and listening to some of the best, most talented and most informed sports writers and personalities in the country back in New York, I find what exists here in Phoenix to be simply atrocious.
Oddly and sadly enough, even though I can't stand his voice, Bickley's partner Mike Jurecki is perhaps the best the Valley has to offer when it comes to the NFL. And he couldn't land a spot on the graveyard shift on any station back in New York....

All that said, your points above are quite spot on.... ;)

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
He is right, Fitz is being paid 120mill to be an above average WR and hasn't been the same since that playoff run in 08.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
uh, wow. i think mitch has finally lost it.

perhaps fitz was just responding to questions about the #2. and imo, he wasn't wrong. is it the biggest problem? of course not. all the other reasons you listed are MUCH bigger problems. but that doesn't make the lack of a #2 not a problem.

Ouchie---let me ask you this---how come Jerheme Urban---that's right, Jerheme Urban has a couple 100+ yard games opposite Fitz when Q and or Breaston were injured?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He is right, Fitz is being paid 120mill to be an above average WR and hasn't been the same since that playoff run in 08.

Sad but true. Further, I'm sure Early and Andre were thrilled to read that Fitz doesn't consider them acceptable foils. (True, but not productive)

The breakdown of assets spent on WR vs OLB is truly pathetic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sad but true. Further, I'm sure Early and Andre were thrilled to read that Fitz doesn't consider them acceptable foils. (True, but not productive)

The breakdown of assets spent on WR vs OLB is truly pathetic.

agreed.

and Mitch . . . huh?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prioritizing the Cardinal Problems.
Here is my take:
#1 Rod Graves the GM.
#2 Russ Grimm as OL Coach
#3 No decent OTs
#4 No decent OLBs
#5 Adrian Wilson as the SS
#6 A quality #2 WR
#7 A good punter
#8 HC Whisenhunt. I'm giving him another year. Costs too much to let him go.
But take away his personnel decision power and bring in a quality football person to make those decisions.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Why don't we just make Fitz the GM and let him run it?

Fitz, wish for more wishes!!!!!

:)

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ouchie---let me ask you this---how come Jerheme Urban---that's right, Jerheme Urban has a couple 100+ yard games opposite Fitz when Q and or Breaston were injured?
Urban had 1 100yd game 2007 v Seattle 6-123, Breaston played but no Boldin. His next highest game total was 86 in 2008 v Minn, 50 of which came on 1 pass down by 28., Boldin and Breaston played that day.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm with you Mitch, I thought they should have traded him. $120 million for what? Maybe with the draft picks that we would have gotten we might have gotten a pass rusher or used the money to get some respectable tackles.

Besides we South Shore boys have to stick together.

Last edited:

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Well, we are going to be able to draft Justin Blackmon in this year's draft if we want to ignore the problems at LB and OT for another year.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I dunno ... Houston only has 1 stud receiver and they seem to do all right. Detroit only has 1 stud receiver and they seem to be doing all right.

There are A LOT bigger problems with this team than a #2 receiver.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno ... Houston only has 1 stud receiver and they seem to do all right. Detroit only has 1 stud receiver and they seem to be doing all right.

There are A LOT bigger problems with this team than a #2 receiver.

Detroit also has a very good TE that has to be accounted for, a RB out of the back field who makes plays and a #2 WR who's played in the league before. We've got Doucet, who's okay, but no scat backs and our TEs aren't even medicore.

And Houston has a very good TE in Owen Daniels and a bunch of experienced WRs and a running back who can make plays out of the backfield.

We have Fitz... one okay WR, subpar TEs who don't scare anyone, and a running back who couldn't catch a cold. Our recieving options are really pretty putrid.

are there bigger issues? yeah, but getting another weapon in the receiving corp is a big problem as well.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Well, we are going to be able to draft Justin Blackmon in this year's draft if we want to ignore the problems at LB and OT for another year.

For a fanbase that throws such a fit over reaching for a certain OT because it was a need in 2007, this amuses me. Not looking like there will be an OLB prospect worth taking that early in the first and depending on where we pick o-tackle could have the same problem.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have no issue with anything said. First of all he was answering questions, not giving a speech. Secondly, he was addressing his own position, the WR position, something he knows about. It wouldn't be right for him to address our crappy defense, since he doesn't play D and doesn't sit in on their meetings. It wouldn't be right for him to address his (Ie., our) crappy QB, or our terrible Oline either. That would just be placing the blame elsewhere--in a position he doesn't play, who's meetings he doesn't attend. The only position a classy person such as himself would address (and should address) is the position he plays. As far as dissing our #2's, that's nonsense. These are grown men. If Doucet and Roberts are the players they hope they are, they'll focus more and do the little things they need to do. Curling up in a ball and whining is for children. Fitz addressed the only issues he could and should address.

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
If Fitz wanted a "name" WR, he should have not ask for a pirates ransom in this last contract.....comon man...he took the no.1 and no.2 saleries for himself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05