Big Break for you guys

JakeFranchise

Reaction score
Chris Gamble apparently sprained or twisted an ankle in practice yesterday and is listed as questionable. Our backup, Ricky Manning, Jr., has been very limited in his effectivenesss since a big game against the Eagles in the 03 NFC Championship. Manning is a big drop-off, and while Boldin or Fitzgerald would have made catches against Gamble, they will have their way all day against Manning.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I saw that yesterday. Didnt he get carted off. Which is never a good sign.

Anyways who is after Manning Jr. Becuase we play 3 wide most the time and motion a lot to get better matchups so Fitz and Boldin will be covered by the nickel sometimes during the game.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I always thought Manning was a starter. He had a bad year last year from what I remember. Is that why he's backing up now?

seesred

Reaction score
I expect a real close game with your Panthers. You have a very good offensive team and as you stated a weak secondary. It wont be a big surprise if the final score is in the 20's for both teams. Who will win is antbodys guess. If our Defense plays like last week against this better offense I would give us the edge. If we turn over the ball more than three times you have the edge.

GBR

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seesred said:
I expect a real close game with your Panthers. You have a very good offensive team and as you stated a weak secondary. It wont be a big surprise if the final score is in the 20's for both teams. Who will win is antbodys guess. If our Defense plays like last week against this better offense I would give us the edge. If we turn over the ball more than three times you have the edge.

GBR

Yep, I think we lose if the turnovers are even or are negative for the Cards.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This creates some interesting matchup X & O strategies. For example: Carolina is a bit shaky up the middle (with Jenkins out and Buckner said to have lost a step - and Morgan kind of undersized). Despite our problems running the ball, we could use Shipp to attack the middle.

Normally, the way to counter any success we might have would be for the Panthers to move their SS (McCree or Davis) up into the box. But they might now be inclined to keep them deep to provide extra help for Manning.

If this is the way things play out, you also might see the Cardinals toggling between runs by Shipp and passes to our TE Teyo Johnson.

Interesting chess match.

(But one thing that could mess that up would be if we don't execute).

Note - Normally, we'd employ the logical strategic option of putting pressure on the secondary with our #3 receiver (that be Johnson). But Green's inclination, I think would be to trade off Johnson's inconsistency as a receiver in favor of the extra blocking help we'd get from a second TE.

Last edited:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Note - Normally, we'd employ the logical strategic option of putting pressure on the secondary with our #3 receiver (that be Johnson). But Green's inclination, I think would be to trade off Johnson's inconsistency as a receiver in favor of the extra blocking help we'd get from a second TE.

Perhaps Lee is quietly moving in to the #3 position. DG has to like the way he fights for additional yards (and catching more than an occasional pass can't hurt). He's not a true burner, but neither is Johnson.

The Shark

spanky1

Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
Perhaps Lee is quietly moving in to the #3 position. DG has to like the way he fights for additional yards (and catching more than an occasional pass can't hurt). He's not a true burner, but neither is Johnson.

The Shark

Lee is a #4 WR. Johnson has not executed well over the beginning games but is firmly entrenched as the #3

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Lee is a #4 WR. Johnson has not executed well over the beginning games but is firmly entrenched as the #3

I see your point, but no one who doesn't execute should be firmly entrenched.

The Shark

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think their 4th CB (now 3rd) is Wesley,who is a really good ST guy. Also, I doubt our TEs get much play because of how little we pass to them and because of how good Carolina's LBs are.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
I see your point, but no one who doesn't execute should be firmly entrenched.

The Shark

Or one who doesn't execute, should be executed.

I figure Bryant has 12 games left to make a case for why he should be a Cardinal next year, from Green's we have 2 great WR's comments it's pretty clear Green hasn't been impressed so far.

Delhommey

Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I think their 4th CB (now 3rd) is Wesley,who is a really good ST guy. Also, I doubt our TEs get much play because of how little we pass to them and because of how good Carolina's LBs are.
It is usually Wesley, that's correct.

We do also have a problem with athletic, pass catching TE's and anyone else up the middle.

Also, for those wondering about Manning, Jr., yes he was our starter, yes he did well in 2003, but he has struggled ever since the 5 yard defensive holding rules have been ratchted down. He has trouble if he can't get physical with the receiver.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Hey Delhommey

The Panthers Still Have A Great Dl And The Secondary Is The Least Of Our Concerns. Peppers Is A Stud And Wakefield Is Going To Have To Keep Him Of Mccown The Best He Can. I Think We Can Win This Game But At This Time I Would Have To Say The Panthers Have The Edge.

Go Cards!!! Play Hard

OP
OP
J

JakeFranchise

Reaction score
phillycard said:
I always thought Manning was a starter. He had a bad year last year from what I remember. Is that why he's backing up now?

Yes, we brought in Lucas because it was clearly an area of need after Manning's season last year. I wouldn't describe our secondary as weak- I believe we have more problems with schemes and formations than individual talent. Lucas and Gamble (when playing well) are both fast, athletic, good cover guys. Our safety play, to date, can be characterized as weak however.

We are actually 6th in the league in run defense currently, and 95% of runs up the middle have gone for less than 3 (my guess), even without Jenkins. In one form or another, its been the pass, and turnovers, that have hurt us thus far. It's true for a number of teams probably, but we would be 4-0 without a few big mistakes (bad INTs, fumbled punts, rushes, KRs). 2 losses by 3 each, gave up 7-10 off turnovers each game.

I expect a great game this weekend- you guys are a year or two from making a lot of noise. Thanks for the discussion btw.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Quan= Moss
Fits= Carter
Johnson= Hatchett

Not that Quan and Fitz are as good and Moss or Carter yet, but they could be...

Johnson is as good as Hatchett so far. He's not going anywhere this year.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Spanky, you've been spankin' yourself too much lately!! :biglaugh: NOT Really.. But if you think Johnson is firmly entrenched anywhere, your'e losin it!! He sucks as I think I've been harping on, at least to this point.. Sit him and play Lee, who looked great last week.. Where the hell did we find Teyo
Johnson, and why did we hide him??! He could be the One!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
The Panthers Still Have A Great Dl And The Secondary Is The Least Of Our Concerns. Peppers Is A Stud And Wakefield Is Going To Have To Keep Him Of Mccown The Best He Can. I Think We Can Win This Game But At This Time I Would Have To Say The Panthers Have The Edge.

Go Cards!!! Play Hard

You don't have to capitalize the first letter of *every* word... unless of course this is a movie title or something. ;)

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
Spanky, you've been spankin' yourself too much lately!! :biglaugh: NOT Really.. But if you think Johnson is firmly entrenched anywhere, your'e losin it!! He sucks as I think I've been harping on, at least to this point.. Sit him and play Lee, who looked great last week.. Where the hell did we find Teyo
Johnson, and why did we hide him??! He could be the One!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have a solution to Bryant Johnson's tendancy to drop passes. All the Cardinals need to do is remove one of Anquan Boldin's arms and re-attach it to Johnson. Boldin only needs one hand to catch a football. Maybe Bryant can do it with three.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
I have a solution to Bryant Johnson's tendancy to drop passes. All the Cardinals need to do is remove one of Anquan Boldin's arms and re-attach it to Johnson. Boldin only needs one hand to catch a football. Maybe Bryant can do it with three.

:lmao: