Biggest disappointments so far

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expected the oline to be screwing up for the first three or four games before settling in.

What I did not expect were the mediocre performances by Kurt Warner and Bryant Johnson. Warner's fumbles, sacks and brain farts are the biggest reasons we can't score. And Bryant Johnson is still a nothing receiver.

If Minnesota will give us Michael Bennett for BJ, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If Bennett turns out to be a bust, so what? BJ is already a bust. We lose nothing.

Suppose we go to Seattle and get the same scoreless performance from Warner again, with multiple red zone sacks and fumbles. If that happens, it will be clearing up the QB picture because it will be proving Warner has no future here.

And at 0-3, with the season destroyed, I'd start McCown and let him play the next few games. If he can't score, go to big kid from Michigan.

We need to know for sure by the end of this year if we need to draft a QB with that #1 pick.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggest disappointments

Cards' O-line
Josh McCown Jockers
JJ railroaders
Darksiders

A-Bomb

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if we really want to get the #1 pick by all means bench Warner and insert Navarre.

On the brightside if Washington collapses the general consensus is Denver will use the Washington pick on a QB and dump Jake. Then we could bring Jake back. :eek:

flocker

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I expected the oline to be screwing up for the first three or four games before settling in.

We need to know for sure by the end of this year if we need to draft a QB with that #1 pick.

I think the concensus in my thread was that we don't draft for position, we draft the best available player, regardless of position. You can never have too many good football players. This point may fall on deaf ears.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Some QB's with worse quarterback ratings than Kurt Warner thus far: Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Michael Vick, Drew Brees, Jake Delhomme and Daunte Culpepper.

Some QB's who have thrown for one or less TD's thus far: Trent Green, Aaron Brooks, Michael Vick, Jake Delhomme, Daunte Culpepper.

Sorry, but Kurt Warner isn't the problem. The O-Line and running game is the problem. The notion that we would be better off with McCown or Navarre is laughable IMO.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
The biggest disappointment for me thus far is that even with the talent the Cards have, and the discipline they were supposedly getting from this coaching staff, they still do the same stupid, shoot themselves in the foot types of things that cause them to lose year after year. Is it ever gonna get any better?

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

What I did not expect were the mediocre performances by Kurt Warner and Bryant Johnson. Warner's fumbles, sacks and brain farts are the biggest reasons we can't score. And Bryant Johnson is still a nothing receiver.

If Minnesota will give us Michael Bennett for BJ, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If Bennett turns out to be a bust, so what? BJ is already a bust. We lose nothing.

Suppose we go to Seattle and get the same scoreless performance from Warner again, with multiple red zone sacks and fumbles. If that happens, it will be clearing up the QB picture because it will be proving Warner has no future here.

And at 0-3, with the season destroyed, I'd start McCown and let him play the next few games. If he can't score, go to big kid from Michigan.

I was somewhat shocked to hear how well BJ was doing in camp as I've never had a high opinion of him. Maybe he's just a great practice player? Maybe he lost some confidence in the past two games? He ain't getting it done though and all he has to do is take some pressure off of Quan and Fitz. I'll give him another game or so to come around.

I'm not too down on Warner yet, because that sack changed everything. I am shocked and disappointed that we had no real contingency plans in our redzone, two minute drill. Sacks, fumbles, no timeouts left. Those situations happen. The spike immediately afterward should have been an automatic response. I think that was a lack of preparation as much as anything though it could be argued that Warner has been around the block enough times to know better.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Skkorp:

I'd say that any close observer of the Cardinals should know that now. There's no QB on the current roster that I expect--or want--to be starting for the Cards in the 2007 season and beyond. If there's a quarterback available in the draft that's worth the pick, it's time to pull the trigger.

But I think your evaluation of Kurt Warner is premature, at best. Operating behind one of the league's worst offensive lines, with the 28th-ranked running game, Warner's running the #4 passing offense after two games. And if we agree that other parts of this team are works-in-progress, let's allow for the possibility that a QB playing for a new team--in an offense run by a first-time OC--and still learning his receivers' tendencies may have some upside left.

For the Cards' sake, you'd better hope I'm right. Warner would be the perfect transition QB, starting the remainder of this season and at least the beginning of 2006. How far he'd go into next season would depend on both his performance and the prize rookie's learning curve (not unlike Warner's experience last season with the Giants). I don't see either Josh McCown or John Navarre filling that role as well.

And I hope you don't really believe that the season will be "destroyed" if the Cards lose to the Seahawks (as I fully expect). This looked like an 8-8 team to me at the outset, and I expected the games at NY and Seattle to be losses. With thirteen weeks left, I couldn't imagine bringing McCown or Navarre in off the bench.

Unless they can pass-block, that is. ;)

WC

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

jesus, it's the 2003 season all over again. if kurt can't score for us, throw in navarre 'cuz we've seen almost a full season of josh, and he's proven (in my mind) that he's not the long-term answer.

basically, if kurt ain't performing, the likelihood is that we need to tank all the games for a shot at leinhart.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
basically, if kurt ain't performing, the likelihood is that we need to tank all the games for a shot at leinhart.

So we get Timmy Chang back, start him and guarantee a shot at Leinart.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
So we get Timmy Chang back, start him and guarantee a shot at Leinart.
I'll play for the league minmum. But, I'll hold out next year.

fball13

Registered
Reaction score
He may not be the biggest dissapointment, but I'm very dissapointed with Robert Griffith. He was brought in as a savy veteran, but all I've seen is one nice hit (last week) and a ton of missed tackles/assignments. Don't get me wrong though, I'd rather have him in the game over the worst safety in the league: Quentin Harris...

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Renz said:
Some QB's with worse quarterback ratings than Kurt Warner thus far: Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Michael Vick, Drew Brees, Jake Delhomme and Daunte Culpepper.

Some QB's who have thrown for one or less TD's thus far: Trent Green, Aaron Brooks, Michael Vick, Jake Delhomme, Daunte Culpepper.

Sorry, but Kurt Warner isn't the problem. The O-Line and running game is the problem. The notion that we would be better off with McCown or Navarre is laughable IMO.
Thats a Hall of Fame Post right there.:notworthy

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you didn't expect mediocre performances from Kurt Warner before the season started, your expectations were unreasonably high.

The guy's been pretty much what I expected. He's still better than Josh was.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

If Minnesota will give us Michael Bennett for BJ, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If Bennett turns out to be a bust, so what? BJ is already a bust. We lose nothing.And at 0-3, with the season destroyed, I'd start McCown and let him play the next few games. If he can't score, go to big kid from Michigan.

Warner is NOT the problem but sure...he has made some mistakes. Not getting the ball off on 2 or 3 red zone sacks is big but he didn't fumble and he didn't try to throw the ball away and into the arms of a defender. I still take the Superbowl MVP and NFL MVP over Josh McCown this year.

Don't forget we started 0-3 last year and still ended up 6-10, with two losses to SF. 0-3 is not a lost season in the NFC West but we will not be 0-3.

I would not trade BJ for MB...no way.

My biggest dissapointment is the defensive intensity and pass rush. I thought these guys would be knife through butter.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
My biggest dissapointment is the defensive intensity and pass rush. I thought these guys would be knife through butter.

I dont think you are giving the pass rush enough credit, either that or your goals were Unrealistically high for them, of which mine were as well.

We are still tops in the league in sacks, pressures, QB Hits, ect.

We are 7th in opposing QB's pass completion % with 53.8.

We are with the better teams in INT's.

We are the 6th ranked passing D.

Thats all coming from our Pass rush, with 2 SS's and a rookie CB starting behind them.

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My biggest disappointment has been what I view as all the little mistakes that I thought would have been kept to a minimum by the new coaching staff. I really assumed that stupid mistakes and shooting themselves with penalties, fumbles, etc would have been avoided with a more disciplined approach.

fball13

Registered
Reaction score
Biggest Dissapointment: How could I forget Denny Green, as a coach. I think he's incredibly gifted at talent evaluation, but there seem to be too many holes in his in-game coaching:

- No spike and changing personnel with 20ish seconds left last week
- No "jump ball" play in the system (with three big, tall receivers)!!!
- Burning 3 timeouts week 1 and not being able to challenge Buress' touchdown
- Unprepared special teams (did you see all the squib kicks last week to band-aid the problem)
- The Josh benching last year during a winning streak

I'm glad we got Denny here, because we have a better team because of his talent evaluations... I'm just very dissapointed in his coaching skills so far.

Reaction score
  1. Oliver Ross
  2. Oliver Ross
  3. Stupid mistakes - penalties (players) and game management (Green and Warner)
  4. Have I mentioned Oliver Ross!!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And as far as Bryant Johnson being a "nothing" WR... well, that's just ridiculous. It's two games into the season and the guy has 4 catches for 42 yards. Ike Hilliard (#3 for the Bucs) has 3 for 19. Jonnie Morton (#3 for the 49ers) has 2 for 34. Kelley Washington (Bengals) has 1 for 0. The #3 and #4 WR for the Giants combine for all of 7 yards.

The guy's a #3 WR. They don't do much. This offense is nowhere close to being untracked. It's a little early to close the coffin on this guy.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
And as far as Bryant Johnson being a "nothing" WR... The guy's a #3 WR. They don't do much. This offense is nowhere close to being untracked. It's a little early to close the coffin on this guy.

K9:

It's all relative. Maybe calling Bryant Johnson "a nothing receiver" is a little excessive. On the other hand, most teams would hope to get more than a #3 wideout from a first-rounder. How about calling Johnson "a wasted draft pick?" :D

WC

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Defensive Intensity, where is it at??? :confused: Wheres the D we fell in love with last season, that wouldn't quit laying the smack down??

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

I see it different than you. Warner is doing well under the circumstances and is the best QB we have had in some years.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
The biggest disappointment for me thus far is that even with the talent the Cards have, and the discipline they were supposedly getting from this coaching staff, they still do the same stupid, shoot themselves in the foot types of things that cause them to lose year after year. Is it ever gonna get any better?

My biggest disappointment: 0-2