Billick fired

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Ravens fire head coach Billick after 5-11 season

NFL.com

The Brian Billick era in Baltimore came to end on Monday as he was fired by the Ravens, the NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.
The Ravens will hold a press conference at 3:30 p.m. ET Monday at the team's Owings Mills facility to announce their decision to let Billick go.
The news comes one day after the Ravens finished their disappointing season by snapping a nine-game losing streak with a 27-21 victory over the Steelers. Baltimore finished the season 5-11.
Billick, who led the Ravens to the Super Bowl XXXV title in 2000, took over as head coach in 1999.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shock:

I didnt think it would happen.. But they did have a suckage season.. It helps us.. A superbowl coach on the market, one less team to take Grimm..

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
wow wonder where he ends up. I like Billick. Rex Ryan doesn't call that timeout and Billick still has a job.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I don't think it's surprising. Billick's been living on borrowed time for a while and last year's 13-3 got him one more year. Wasn't he originally brought in to give the Ravens a good offense? I can understand not replicating the 1998 Vikings but with Ogden, Heap and the running game they've had over the years there really isn't any excuse for their offense to be such a continual liability. Billick hasn't been able to identify a legitimate starting QB the entire time he's been the coach and other than Sharpe and Heap at TE, they haven't had any kind of downfield threat.

Time to move on for the Ravens and Billick. Good move in my opinion.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love how someone labeled as an "offensive genius" has coached a perennially terrible offensive football team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fallout from losing Neuheisel to UCLA .

:D

They have a lot of needs on offense they need a QB, they need to replace Ogden, need WR's etc.

Based on NFL standards they will hire a defensive oriented coach, and their defense will get worse while the offense will get better.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worked out perfectly for Neuheisel. Rumor is, Billick was going to dump him.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:jawdrop: I'm surprised. They have a huge rebuilding project ahead of them, though. I wonder if they bring in the former Bears DC? Do they just promote Rob Ryan? How can they get rid of that guy?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worked out perfectly for Neuheisel. Rumor is, Billick was going to dump him.

Probably was, he called the plays not Neuheisel at least that's what I'm reading in Neuheisel stuff since UCLA hired him.

or as Don Maclean said during the UCLA win over UC Davis in basketball "your offense would suck too if Kyle Boller was your QB!"

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baltimore was waiting for a chance (bad season) to get rid of Billick IMO. What has he really done to improve them? He came in as a supposed offensive genius, but how tough could it really have been to score points with a good line, a healthy Culpepper, an in-prime Robert Smith, Reed, Moss and Carter??? Their O has been pathetic throughout his tenure, and even with the best running game in the league for a while he was unable to establish a passing game. His D coordinators have been great and moved on from B'more. Having Ray Lewis saved his job for years IMO.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baltimore was waiting for a chance (bad season) to get rid of Billick IMO. What has he really done to improve them? He came in as a supposed offensive genius, but how tough could it really have been to score points with a good line, a healthy Culpepper, an in-prime Robert Smith, Reed, Moss and Carter??? Their O has been pathetic throughout his tenure, and even with the best running game in the league for a while he was unable to establish a passing game. His D coordinators have been great and moved on from B'more. Having Ray Lewis saved his job for years IMO.

I guess the real question is this.. Why do we care about Baltimore? Keep falling!

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I guess the real question is this.. Why do we care about Baltimore? Keep falling!
Another question might be: why post in a thread you don't care about?

Also, some people are football fans and not just Cardinals fans. Things that happen in other parts of the league can affect the Cardinals in one way or another also.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I thought he was safe. It wasn't that long ago he was in the superbowl and they were only one season removed from 13-3.

He's a good coach, but maybe they just needed a change.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I thought he was safe. It wasn't that long ago he was in the superbowl and they were only one season removed from 13-3.

Plus he just signed an extention less than a year ago.

NightHawk11and81

I love Daniela Hantuchova
Reaction score
It's a bit surprising, Steve Bisciotti is known for his patience. He's also known for having a plan. Look for the Ravens to move quickly.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

Depends what you mean by "not long ago". They were in the Super Bowl seven years ago.

Also, going 13-3 and then losing in the first round of the playoffs doesn't buy a coach much these days. Just ask Marty Schottenheimer.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question might be: why post in a thread you don't care about?

Also, some people are football fans and not just Cardinals fans. Things that happen in other parts of the league can affect the Cardinals in one way or another also.

Who says I dont care? I think my 1st post in this thread states why I care..

I dont even know why I respond to someone who cant use the quote function properly..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05