Black Tuesday

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Really? You think so?

This team as it stands right now would probably go 6-7 with SA, possibly winning. Not to mention if Finley signs. Suddenly the Suns are EXTREMELY deep, and actually have a defense. Arent those the two things that blew the series? No defense, and no bench?

Exactly.

JJ was injured during the SA series. Q played like crap. Hunter got no minutes to speak of.

The only players we lost this summer were players that didn't participate in that series anyway.

But we have added Kurt Thomas, Raja Bell, Scott Padgett, Boris Diaw, Burke, a couple of rookies and we still might get Hunter back and Finley.

We also have two trade exceptions which could net us a decent player or two, and we have picks which we can use or deal.

Right now, this Suns team is miles better than the one that played San Antonio in the conference finals.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
The only players we lost this summer were players that didn't participate in that series anyway.

That's not ENTIRELY true. IMO, the biggest reason we lost that series was that Shawn Marion was MIA.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That's not ENTIRELY true. IMO, the biggest reason we lost that series was that Shawn Marion was MIA.

that's certainly hurt, but I would say the two biggest reasons the Phoenix Suns loss to San Antonio in the WCF were defense and rebounding. The Suns simply could not stop San Antonio down the stretch, and they were constantly getting killed on the glass.

I don't think Kurt Thomas is going to come in and shut down Tim Duncan. He will make Duncan's life a little more difficult, and he will help on the boards. Of course the best part is he does all this while giving up almost nothing on offense.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
that's certainly hurt, but I would say the two biggest reasons the Phoenix Suns loss to San Antonio in the WCF were defense and rebounding. The Suns simply could not stop San Antonio down the stretch, and they were constantly getting killed on the glass.

I don't think Kurt Thomas is going to come in and shut down Tim Duncan. He will make Duncan's life a little more difficult, and he will help on the boards. Of course the best part is he does all this while giving up almost nothing on offense.

Joe Mama

Of course, if Marion could rebound in that series, that may have made a difference. I was flabbergasted that he was so ineffectual that entire series. I will concede the defense point, though.

OP
OP
S

scotsman13

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Of course, if Marion could rebound in that series, that may have made a difference. I was flabbergasted that he was so ineffectual that entire series. I will concede the defense point, though.

marion averaged 10.8 rebounds a game vs. the spurs in the playoffs. he may not have done a good job scoring with one of the best defender in the game on him (bowen) but he did rebound well in the games vs the spurs.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_marion/index.html?nav=page

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I thought his tank was just empty. He matched with PF's all season, and in many games, he could take plays off and not grind the whole time. But the playoffs were different. Every possession counts in the playoffs. The game gets that much more physical. Teams have fewer weak links on their rosters.

Shawn did a great job during the regular season. He looked tired and frustrated in the playoffs. I think his move back to SF will help him over the long season.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty obivous that Marion re-injured his wrist at the end of game 6 against the Mavs.

He had open shots against the Spurs (close shots as well) he just couldn't get any to fall.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I'm not trying to start a big argument, but Shawn Marion averaged 10.8 rebounds per game in that series. His rebounding was not a problem. It was his scoring..

Joe Mama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan