Blake on Jake! etc

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to love this guys' self confidence!

Blake vows he'll outdo Plummer
Veteran says Cards will be better with him at quarterback

By News Wire Reports
September 4, 2003

TEMPE, Ariz. - Jeff Blake says the Arizona Cardinals will be a better team with him at quarterback than it was with Jake Plummer.

In an interview with the Arizona Daily Star, Blake spared few words in expressing feelings about his 11-season NFL career, Plummer's play at Arizona and what he expects to bring to the Cardinals.

"If I had been playing as bad as Jake Plummer had been playing around here the last five years, I would have been out of the league," Blake said.

"If I would have thrown more interceptions than touchdowns every year, and he did it every year but one, I would have been out of the league a long time ago, because I ain't supposed to be here."

Plummer totaled 18 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions in 2001; in his rookie year of 1997, he totaled 15 and 15. His 90 career TD passes were offset by his 114 interceptions.

Blake, 32, signed a three-year contract with Arizona after Plummer left to join the Denver Broncos. In his 11 years in the NFL, Blake's total of touchdown passes exceeds his interceptions by 36 (119 to 83), and he admittedly is defensive about his career.

"A lot of people are hungry, chips on their shoulders. A lot of people have things to prove," Blake said.

"Coaches. Organizations. Owners. Everybody is tired of people running their flaps. I am one of them. I'm a sixth-round draft pick. I'm too short, too black and too everything else. I ain't supposed to be here. That's why I have a chip on my shoulder. The only way to shut them up is to go out there and win games."

Plummer, who recorded 30 victories during his six seasons with the Cardinals, got the team to the playoffs in 1998.

Blake's best seasons were with the Cincinnati Bengals. He passed for 3,822 yards and 28 touchdowns in 1995 and 3,624 yards and 24 touchdowns in 1996, the only two seasons he started all 16 games.

He also has played for the New York Jets, New Orleans Saints and Baltimore Ravens.

"It's leadership in a different way," Cardinals guard Leonard Davis said of Blake. "A different mentality."

"I've played on some losing teams, but I've also played on some teams that were very successful," Blake said. "This kind of reminds me of the same situation I came in at New Orleans in 2000, where we went to the playoffs and beat the Rams. Coming in and just believing in what we are trying to do and going out and doing it. Don't let anybody outside our organization tell us anything that is different."

Blake does not seem to mind that the Cardinals' top three wide receivers, including starters David Boston and Frank Sanders, also are gone.

"I always find somebody. Every team I've been on, I've made a somebody a star," Blake said.

The list includes Carl Pickens in Cincinnati in 1994, Joe Horn in New Orleans 2000 and Todd Heap at Baltimore last year.

"If a guy is ready to step up and be that man and ready to go to the Pro Bowl, I'll get it to them," Blake said. "It takes a little time to feel that out. But I'll get it to them. Whoever wants it, they'll get it."

Blake tries to keep everyone involved, which he said helps hold down turnovers.

"Even though I throw a lot of deep balls, I throw a lot of balls to the backs and the tight ends," said Blake, noting Heap, a tight end, made 68 receptions last year.

"It's a good mixture between receivers, tight ends and running backs. That drops your interception ratio down a lot, because you aren't forcing the ball down the field a lot. I'm taking what they give me."

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
"If I had been playing as bad as Jake Plummer had been playing around here the last five years, I would have been out of the league," Blake said.

"

This is the sole thing that scares me about this coaching staff. McGinnis doesnt seem like anybody's B*tch to me, but something, something I tell you kept him from benching Plummer. Of course that was probably the Bidwells...

Mac, or someone in this organization, has had some misguided loyalty through out the years and it is bothersome!

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Blake is talking like he's 32 years old and understands that his career is now in his hands. He's a wealthy man who now wants respect and could care less about B.S. that tends to surround this game. I love him to death. He seems perfect for this team.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Re: Re: Blake on Jake! etc

Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
This is the sole thing that scares me about this coaching staff. McGinnis doesnt seem like anybody's B*tch to me, but something, something I tell you kept him from benching Plummer. Of course that was probably the Bidwells...

I don't think any of the Bidwill's dictated that Jake could not be benched. We simply haven't had anyone here that gave us a better chance to win.

I am tired of debating Jake. I'm hoping Blake can be the answer.

Go Cards!!!

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Blake vows he'll outdo Plummer
Veteran says Cards will be better with him at quarterback

By News Wire Reports
September 4, 2003

TEMPE, Ariz. - Jeff Blake says the Arizona Cardinals will be a better team with him at quarterback than it was with Jake Plummer.

In an interview with the Arizona Daily Star, Blake spared few words in expressing feelings about his 11-season NFL career, Plummer's play at Arizona and what he expects to bring to the Cardinals.

"If I would have thrown more interceptions than touchdowns every year, and he did it every year but one, I would have been out of the league a long time ago, because I ain't supposed to be here."

Plummer totaled 18 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions in 2001; in his rookie year of 1997, he totaled 15 and 15. His 90 career TD passes were offset by his 114 interceptions.

Blake, 32, signed a three-year contract with Arizona after Plummer left to join the Denver Broncos. In his 11 years in the NFL, Blake's total of touchdown passes exceeds his interceptions by 36 (119 to 83), and he admittedly is defensive about his career.

"A lot of people are hungry, chips on their shoulders. A lot of people have things to prove," Blake said.

"Coaches. Organizations. Owners. Everybody is tired of people running their flaps. I am one of them. I'm a sixth-round draft pick. I'm too short, too black and too everything else. I ain't supposed to be here. That's why I have a chip on my shoulder. The only way to shut them up is to go out there and win games."

Plummer, who recorded 30 victories during his six seasons with the Cardinals, got the team to the playoffs in 1998.

Blake's best seasons were with the Cincinnati Bengals. He passed for 3,822 yards and 28 touchdowns in 1995 and 3,624 yards and 24 touchdowns in 1996, the only two seasons he started all 16 games.

He also has played for the New York Jets, New Orleans Saints and Baltimore Ravens.

"It's leadership in a different way," Cardinals guard Leonard Davis said of Blake. "A different mentality."

"I've played on some losing teams, but I've also played on some teams that were very successful," Blake said. "This kind of reminds me of the same situation I came in at New Orleans in 2000, where we went to the playoffs and beat the Rams. Coming in and just believing in what we are trying to do and going out and doing it. Don't let anybody outside our organization tell us anything that is different."

Blake does not seem to mind that the Cardinals' top three wide receivers, including starters David Boston and Frank Sanders, also are gone.

"I always find somebody. Every team I've been on, I've made a somebody a star," Blake said.

The list includes Carl Pickens in Cincinnati in 1994, Joe Horn in New Orleans 2000 and Todd Heap at Baltimore last year.

"If a guy is ready to step up and be that man and ready to go to the Pro Bowl, I'll get it to them," Blake said. "It takes a little time to feel that out. But I'll get it to them. Whoever wants it, they'll get it."

Blake tries to keep everyone involved, which he said helps hold down turnovers.

"Even though I throw a lot of deep balls, I throw a lot of balls to the backs and the tight ends," said Blake, noting Heap, a tight end, made 68 receptions last year.

"It's a good mixture between receivers, tight ends and running backs. That drops your interception ratio down a lot, because you aren't forcing the ball down the field a lot. I'm taking what they give me."

i really hope he isn`t talking out his ass.Because the next playoff game he wins will be his FIRST.aS A MATTER OF FACT HIS NEXT PLAYOFF GAME WILL BE HIS First.I hope he is right.Nothing wrong with having confidence.As for him being involved in saints 2000 playoffs Blake was on IR the last 5 games.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score

Originally posted by BW52
i really hope he isn`t talking out his ass.Because the next playoff game he wins will be his FIRST.aS A MATTER OF FACT HIS NEXT PLAYOFF GAME WILL BE HIS First.I hope he is right.Nothing wrong with having confidence.As for him being involved in saints 2000 playoffs Blake was on IR the last 5 games.

Yes but he led that team to a 7-2 record before he got hurt...

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True but he was as much responsible for them getting there as anybody else he started 11 games.

He's played on bad teams, and he is right he got benched and lost jobs when he played MUCH better than Jake did. That's what he said if I'd have played that badly I'd have been out of the NFL.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I really hope he is the QB everyone thinks he is.I think he is a steady average QB who won`t win any singlehandedly or lose any singlehandedly.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score

Mac, or someone in this organization, has had some misguided loyalty through out the years and it is bothersome!

At least somebody in the Cardinals organization said something about Plummer. Its like a hush hush issue about Plummer in the organization. Plummer didn't win us a SuperBowl like Elway did but Plummer got treated like Elway when he was here. Plummer set us back for 5 years. He did a good job for this organization but he also hurts us too. My opinion but flame away.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Blake on Jake! etc

True but he was as much responsible for them getting there as anybody else he started 11 games.

He's played on bad teams, and he is right he got benched and lost jobs when he played MUCH better than Jake did. That's what he said if I'd have played that badly I'd have been out of the NFL.

Thats the point Russ. I dont think the Cards ever wanted to bring soeone in and challenge Jake. The Cards went through year-after-year, coordinator-after-coordinator, coach-after-coach and Jake was still the starter with no competition!

Someone was pulling someone elses strings in the Organization, I am just not sure who!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope he is the QB everyone thinks he is.I think he is a steady average QB who won`t win any singlehandedly or lose any singlehandedly.

That's what I think too. He's not a superstar, but he won't bury you in games like Jake so often did.

If anybody is expecting him to do what Bledsoe did in Buffalo last year forget it.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm very excited about Jeff Blake. He has that something special kicking inside him. Ho knows the game and he is not afraid. Blake is the kind of guy that will get it done through his players not by himself like Jake tried to do many times. HE will make it happen if it's there.

I know everybody has picked us last, last in our division. I hope our players have all these articles up on a board. I hope Blake knows that there are zero people who believe in anything he can say about this team. I hope Emmitt is seeing these things and talking about how bad we are supposed to be.

I like this Jeff Blake and wish him more than anyone else on our team a great year. Show then JEFF!

GBR

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Blake on Jake! etc

Thats the point Russ. I dont think the Cards ever wanted to bring soeone in and challenge Jake. The Cards went through year-after-year, coordinator-after-coordinator, coach-after-coach and Jake was still the starter with no competition!

Someone was pulling someone elses strings in the Organization, I am just not sure who!

I think it was the contract. They gave him that to help win the stadium vote, then it becomes very hard to admit you screwed up and replace a guy. You can't pay a guy that much and then bench him without looking stupid. Remember Trestman told them in 2001 to let him go to Cleveland in the expansion draft and he got fired after that advice. I do think there was clearly an unwritten rule about playing the guy with the huge contract.

Jake honestly didn't think he was at fault at all, look at this quote he said today.

" I think the main comfort level comes from the guys around me, that I know that they're going to be in the right spot," Plummer said. "I'm not wondering where they're going to go, if they're going to bust a route or go somewhere where they're not supposed to be. I know that the line's going to protect for me and that those guys outside are going to be in the right spot. I know the plays well enough to where if I'm in the right spot, I can get the ball to them."

In other words the Wr's in Arizona were young, ran bad routes, the OL stunk and that's why I played bad. Last year that was true, before that it just wasn't true he wasn't playing with HOF talent around him but he had guys who could play. But if you keep going out there every week you start to believe you're not part of the problem.

Blake never got anywhere near that level of freedom, very few NFL Qb's have.

spanky

All Star
Reaction score
If he delivers and backs up the talk, then all the power to him. I do like the "fire in his belly".

One thing I wish he would do when he cranks out these statements of bravodo would be to spell out what he thinks the skill level of the team is compared to when he was with the other organizations he played with. Ya know, give us something to go on.

All in all, I like the change from our previous QB and think we now have the maturity in this position that has been missing. I was always concerned that Plummer was a little to "sand lot" in his playing style for the reality of pro ball.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
something, something I tell you kept him from benching Plummer
Yup. It's called "not having anyone else decent to replace him."

I like what I'm hearing from Jeff Blake.

But, in the end, we have to remember that football ain't no talk show - it's what happens on the field that counts.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
folks, as ive said before jeff has been my favorite player since ecu days. hes always been the underdog but hes always put up good numbers. ive watched him play over 75 % of his games so remember this. he has great confidence in his arm and on occasion he is gonna try to make a throw thats not there and your gonna scream but then hes gonna hit the te then a wr then a rb and he gets on a roll. anyway this is a qb that will make you scratch your head sometimes but hes a fighter with a great gun. this is gonna be a lot of fun. GO CARDS.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
I am stoked that Blake is here and I love the fact that he called Jake out.

The proof is in the pudding but I am telling ya.........I am so happy that this guy is our QB

:fans:

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
OMG.............

I was just trolling around on the Orange Mane board and you have just got to see what they are saying about Blake:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?threadid=5495

"What a *ick! He has balls"

"That's just what I was thinking RHogan, he seems to be very jealous of our Jake and his situation here in Denver!"

"Realize that 2/3 of the quarterbacks in the NFL are going to be jealous of the situation Plummer landed himself in!"

OMG - they really have no idea of what they are in for....those poor bastards.......I almost feel sorry for them.

Almost.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: OMG.............

Originally posted by Stronso
I was just trolling around on the Orange Mane board and you have just got to see what they are saying about Blake:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?threadid=5495

"What a *ick! He has balls"

"That's just what I was thinking RHogan, he seems to be very jealous of our Jake and his situation here in Denver!"

"Realize that 2/3 of the quarterbacks in the NFL are going to be jealous of the situation Plummer landed himself in!"

OMG - they really have no idea of what they are in for....those poor bastards.......I almost feel sorry for them.

Almost.

Look at broncofreak.com , there's a whole thread of guys bashing blake about this. People saying he's racist(I don't know why he mentioned being too black in the article), saying he was "craptastic" and other things. I've been defending him, not one person will answer the question if Blake is so bad what does that say about a guy with WORSE numbers in equally bad situations, .... Jake Plummer?

There are 2-3 people there who acknowledge that what he said was true, he got benched while playing better so he clearly WOULD have been out of the NFL if he'd have played that badly.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
That's OK - by the end of the season they will all be bashing Jake