Boldin Rejects Offer

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Anquan Boldin - #81 - Wide Receiver - 6'1" - 218lbs Thu May 12 2005 - NFL Network reports Anquan Boldin rejected a contract offer this week. The Cardinals are reportedly using Santana Moss' deal as a guide. Moss will earn $11 million in guarantees during the first two years of his contract. Boldin wants more.http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=22

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
I can hear all the Q bashers stampeding to this thread to post how we should trade Q or whatever.

Here it comes............

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know it's bellyaching, but I hate how athletes always have to compare their salaries to the next mans. As a broke a** commoner, I just can't understand the difference between 1 or 2 million bucks when you're already making 7 or 8. Moss is slightly more accomplished than Quan, but I do feel Quan deserves to get paid. Just do the damn thing and get his behind signed! :mad:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless Moss' contract is unusual how can anybody say 11 million in guarantees in the first TWO years? NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, the only guaranteed money is a signing bonus. I've heard cases where teams guarantee the first year salary too. So did Washington guarantee 2 years salary for Moss or was that blurb just wrong?

If Quan rejected 11 million in a signing bonus AND salary this year that's a bit of a concern since reports said the bonus being discussed was 8-10 million. But if Quan rejected an offer that had 11 million in 2 years with only 1 year guaranteed, I can sort of understand rejecting it since that means the bonus is likely NOT 8-10 million.

Too early to panic, he said he won't miss camp over it, there's still plenty of time to negotiate and get it done. And if we get close we can always have Big sit on Rosenhaus and refuse to get off until he finalizes the deal.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ,

Quite correct, it is way too early to panic. It is actually good to hear that they are talking "ballpark" figures........there is none of this, "we are far apart" talk. It'll get done.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Unless Moss' contract is unusual how can anybody say 11 million in guarantees in the first TWO years? NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, the only guaranteed money is a signing bonus.

It's because of how they use the terminology. It's now routine for agents and teams to report roster bonuses as "guaranteed" although it's only received if they are on the roster by a certain. For example, all of Warner's contract is "guaranteed". But, he has to be on the game 1 roster to get it all. (He received a 2 million signing bonus and a 2 million guaranteed salary.)

We have no idea of how much of Boldin's "guaranteed" money is truly upfront, and how much is a roster bonus or guaranteed salary.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fine...keep negotiating. Get it where everyone is good with it.

Just don't be a bi... and hold out. I don't have any problems with Q negotiating for as much as he can get, but I do have issue with holding out on this team that is actually TRYING to do a deal with him.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
Personally, I could care less anymore. We are better with him, but we can win without him. There is ZERO excuse for not winning our pathetic division this year either way.

Last edited:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Unless Moss' contract is unusual how can anybody say 11 million in guarantees in the first TWO years? NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, the only guaranteed money is a signing bonus. I've heard cases where teams guarantee the first year salary too. So did Washington guarantee 2 years salary for Moss or was that blurb just wrong?

If Quan rejected 11 million in a signing bonus AND salary this year that's a bit of a concern since reports said the bonus being discussed was 8-10 million. But if Quan rejected an offer that had 11 million in 2 years with only 1 year guaranteed, I can sort of understand rejecting it since that means the bonus is likely NOT 8-10 million.

Too early to panic, he said he won't miss camp over it, there's still plenty of time to negotiate and get it done. And if we get close we can always have Big sit on Rosenhaus and refuse to get off until he finalizes the deal.

I agree, too early to panic. We don't know if it was an extension or a redone deal. I think that will be the sticking point.

What Washington does is garauntees the bonus, but splits it up over two years. So Santana will get another garaunteed bonus after this year. Thus lessoning the cap hit the first year.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
What Washington does is garauntees the bonus, but splits it up over two years. So Santana will get another garaunteed bonus after this year. Thus lessoning the cap hit the first year.

How is this? I thought all bonuses were prorated over the life of the contract. How does it work with roster bonuses? Does it only affect the year in which it is payed? Also, didn't Santana sign a contract extension, receiving the same figures in the remaining portion of the contract, with the bonuses compensating him until his extension kicks in?

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
Slacker said:
Personally, I could care less anymore. We are better with him, but we can win without him. There is ZERO excuse for not winning our pathetic division this year either way.

I would agree that we can win without him. This team is built on defense. If we are going to win a bad division, we are going to have to get a running game, and protect Warner. It is funny how everyone on here has fallen in love with Arrington since he was drafted. He has yet to play a down under live conditions. I hope Arrington is the answer, and I would like to see Shipp play well too. Shipp has put in his time.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I like the contingency plan... :thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

if i remember correctly it's a two-year bonus that are both guaranteed. so i think it is $11M guaranteed over two years.

oh, and whoever said that moss is more accomplished . . . i don't agree. he had one stellar season (though still not as good as boldin's rookie year) and one or two so-so seasons. he's also considered undersized to be a #1 receiver, though fast as hell.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were rumors that the Cards offered 5M now and a 5m roster bonus in March 2006.
The problem with this is of coarse (in Boldins eyes) if he were to get hurt there is no guarantee he would make the roster.

Please note this is pure speculation on my part. Its something I read a while back and I am not sure there is any merit to it.

The only way this may get done is to offer around a 10 mil bonus with a low base and back load it a bit. starting in year 3 and into year 6 (2 remaining years and plus 4 year extention.

It may not be the way we are use to doing things but this is a unique situation.
Year 3- 4 mil
Year 4- 6 mil
Year 5- 7 mil
year 6- 8 mil

That would make it approx. 6 year 36 mil with 10m guaranteed. The Cards could accelerate the bonus in the first 3 years. If Q goes on to be the Superstar we hope he is then year 4 and 5 will be a fair price and we would look to redo his contract before the 6th year started.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
"Round Up the villagers!!! Get the tar and feathers!!! Buuuuurrrrn Hiiiiiim!!!!!!!"

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I say give him the money. He already passed the team test and reported to camp along with saying he was not going to hold out. We also have more than enough money next year. With the salary cap going up another 5-8 million and another 12 million of dead weight coming off next year just give him the money. I say if Quan want to rip up the contract then 6 year 42 million with / 16 guaranteed. push a lot of the bonus money up front though ..

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Codeofhammurabi said:
I would agree that we can win without him. This team is built on defense. If we are going to win a bad division, we are going to have to get a running game, and protect Warner. It is funny how everyone on here has fallen in love with Arrington since he was drafted. He has yet to play a down under live conditions. I hope Arrington is the answer, and I would like to see Shipp play well too. Shipp has put in his time.

I've taken plenty of shots at Quan on various issues, but let me step in here to sing his praises a little.

I believe he is a special athlete, and a special football player. Maybe he did not "help us win many games in 2003", but it takes at least 21 other players to win a football game. I have a little trouble with the any argument expressed as:

Player A = x amount of wins for a football season.

Anyway, lets not underestimate his value to the team. He's an important piece of the playoff puzzle. He is explosive, tough, and plays with reckless abandon.

I'm not saying we can't make the playoffs with Boldin, but it will darn sure be easier with him than without him.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Boldin with have to settle for those figures, maybe a little more. The way Green seems to operate with his players is a no BS situation. If Boldin demands TO or Harison figures he will not get them.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Syracusecards said:
"Round Up the villagers!!! Get the tar and feathers!!! Buuuuurrrrn Hiiiiiim!!!!!!!"

I'm starting the fire right now . . . where's that Boldin jersey!!

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
I say give him the money. He already passed the team test and reported to camp along with saying he was not going to hold out. We also have more than enough money next year. With the salary cap going up another 5-8 million and another 12 million of dead weight coming off next year just give him the money. I say if Quan want to rip up the contract then 6 year 42 million with / 16 guaranteed. push a lot of the bonus money up front though ..

Yeah, what 4 days of lifting weights and he's "in camp"? Maybe he'll hold out again next week? Just kidding.

Get the deal done!

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Slacker said:

I so disagree with that.

We are a good team without him this year. With him, I really think this can be a special season. One for the ages.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Did he really

turn down 11 mill in guaranteed money? If so, that's just wrong. Guaranteed? Period? If that's so, what the hey is the problem?

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
red desert said:
I so disagree with that.

We are a good team without him this year. With him, I really think this can be a special season. One for the ages.

We will be better this year, but let's make the playoffs once in this century before we start talking about being a special team. Let this team grow a little. Playoffs-hopefully.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
There is still time to get a deal done. But I'm afraid that management might be too focused on money and end up loosing Quan to a divisional rival.

Of course, I don't expect the Cards organization to pay Quan above market value, but if they think that Quan can help us get to the playoff, negiotiate in good faith.