Bonds Indicted

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just one question? Why couldn't this have happened BEFORE he broke the record? Also, got some news for you Bond's defenders. The Federal Grand Jury doesn't indict someone unless they have some pretty heavy duty evidence. This is not like your typical local jurisdiction indictments.

See the stories below.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/15/bonds.indictment.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction of justice charges, culminating a four-year federal investigation into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury looking into steroid use by elite athletes.
The indictment came three months after the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader. Bonds parted ways with the San Francisco Giants after the season.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21823966/

SAN FRANCISCO - Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday for perjury and obstruction of justice, charged with lying when he told a federal grand jury that he did not knowingly use performance-enhancing drugs.The indictment unsealed Thursday against baseball’s home-run king culminated a four-year investigation into steroid use by elite athletes.
“During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes,” the indictment read.In August, the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball’s career home run leader. Late in the season, the San Francisco Giants told the seven-time National League MVP they didn’t want him back next year. He is currently a free agent.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron, the grand jury was working behind closed doors to complete the long-rumored indictment.
“I’m surprised,” said John Burris, one of Bonds’ attorneys, “but there’s been an effort to get Barry for a long time. “I’m curious what evidence they have now they didn’t have before.”
The indictment charged Bonds with lying when he said that he didn’t knowingly take steroids given to him by his personal trainer, Greg Anderson. He also denied taking steroids at anytime in 2001 when he was pursuing the season home-run record.
He is also charged with lying that Anderson never injected him with steroids.
“Greg wouldn’t do that,” Bonds testified in December 2003 when asked if Anderson ever gave him any drugs that needed to be injected. “He knows I’m against that stuff.”

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Just one question? Why couldn't this have happened BEFORE he broke the record? Also, got some news for you Bond's defenders. The Federal Grand Jury doesn't indict someone unless they have some pretty heavy duty evidence. This is not like your typical local jurisdiction indictments.

See the stories below.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/15/bonds.indictment.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction of justice charges, culminating a four-year federal investigation into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury looking into steroid use by elite athletes.
The indictment came three months after the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader. Bonds parted ways with the San Francisco Giants after the season.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21823966/

SAN FRANCISCO - Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday for perjury and obstruction of justice, charged with lying when he told a federal grand jury that he did not knowingly use performance-enhancing drugs.The indictment unsealed Thursday against baseball’s home-run king culminated a four-year investigation into steroid use by elite athletes.
“During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes,” the indictment read.In August, the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball’s career home run leader. Late in the season, the San Francisco Giants told the seven-time National League MVP they didn’t want him back next year. He is currently a free agent.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron, the grand jury was working behind closed doors to complete the long-rumored indictment.
“I’m surprised,” said John Burris, one of Bonds’ attorneys, “but there’s been an effort to get Barry for a long time. “I’m curious what evidence they have now they didn’t have before.”
The indictment charged Bonds with lying when he said that he didn’t knowingly take steroids given to him by his personal trainer, Greg Anderson. He also denied taking steroids at anytime in 2001 when he was pursuing the season home-run record.
He is also charged with lying that Anderson never injected him with steroids.
“Greg wouldn’t do that,” Bonds testified in December 2003 when asked if Anderson ever gave him any drugs that needed to be injected. “He knows I’m against that stuff.”

I wonder what came out in the last couple of months that they did not have in the previous 36 to get him now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are they going to prove that he "knowningly" took the drugs. Did they give him a lie detecter test?

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
This was the comment from the ESPN article that I found interesting:

"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment reads.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112487

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the hypocrite of the year awards goes to... me!

Dude's guiltier than sin.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW. Greg Anderson,his personal trainer was coincidentally, released from jail today.

:thewave: The Liar is gonna get exposed. Actually if he is going down, I am quite down with them waiting for him to break the records. This will not be able to be used in his defense. The race card will not be as strong by allowing him to surpass the numbers rather than stopping him short of it.

Before I get accused of bringing up the " race card " Steven A. Smith is screaming it right now on ESPN.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW. Greg Anderson,his personal trainer was coincidentally, released from jail today.

:thewave: The Liar is gonna get exposed. Actually if he is going down, I am quite down with them waiting for him to break the records. This will not be able to be used in his defense. The race card will not be as strong by allowing him to surpass the numbers rather than stopping him short of it.

Before I get accused of bringing up the " race card " Steven A. Smith is screaming it right now on ESPN.

That can't be coincidence can it? I thought his sentence was longer then that?????

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking they might have proof he ordered the stuff, paid for it, and had it delivered or something. Might even have "evidence" he used it .

Does that prove that he "knew" what he was taking?

I don't know everything in Nyquil but I will still order, pay, have it delivered, use it. etc.

Just sayin.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that prove that he "knew" what he was taking?

I don't know everything in Nyquil but I will still order, pay, have it delivered, use it. etc.

Just sayin.
Those things just get you closer to be able to say it doesn't make sense for him to say he didn't know what was in it. If it doesn't make sense, it makes it easier to say he was dishonest.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those things just get you closer to be able to say it doesn't make sense for him to say he didn't know what was in it. If it doesn't make sense, it makes it easier to say he was dishonest.

A good ol' fashioned witch hunt. Gotta love it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really a witch hunt. We will have to see what evidence they have. Bonds should have just said he wasn't going to talk about the past.

They could have done the same thing to Mark McGuire. Witch hunt.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But MM was never subpoenaed. Hard to lie, if nobody really cares if you lied or not.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But MM was never subpoenaed. Hard to lie, if nobody really cares if you lied or not.
I don't think Bonds should have relied on the "why isn't MM here" defense. He could have just told the truth. If he really did tell the truth, then the cost of the defense will be worth it.