Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those comments are pretty funny too. Anybody with a brain knows that was all staged. If that was real, Rooney would not have given the ok to air it.

All his stuff is given pre-ok before the interview. It is not staged. Rooney has no OK to give since it is signed off in the huge items approved beforehand.

http://www.slate.com/id/2106886/

Article on how they do it. Very tricksy and underhanded. You can tell at the beginning that Rooney is ready to walk away from the entire thing.

His stuff is not staged...sometimes it is hilarious, sometimes it bombs. NPR piece on him as well. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3613548

He's too big now to pull it off as Ali G at this point, so now Borat is what he's pushing since that goes at more regular people and not the majors like Ali G did. All the background stuff on Borat is faked but backed by big departments, a PR group that vouches for him being real, etc.

He's probably also posing somewhere now as some new character, recording interviews etc. that we will see in the next couple of years.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw it last night. Very funny and it really pushes the edge of P.C. Definitely worth seeing.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Saw him on The Daily Show and he was sort of amusing, but struck me as another Andy Kaufman type comic -- and I never was that wild about Andy Kaufman. Borat didn't seem to me to have the physical comedy presence, but that may not have been the right situation.

I know his joking with anti-semitism really upset a lot of groups at first, as if he was somehow encouraging it, but the way he reacted when Jon Stewart made a comment about being Jewish actually showed quite effectively how lame and small and ridiculous that attitude is.

I read recently that Kazhakstan has now invited him to actually come see the country -- I guess hoping he'll somehow become a slightly more positive ambassador since they can't stop him. Heck -- I couldn't spell it until he came along.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright I may want to go see this at a midnight movie at the Centerpoint or something like that. Anyone else up for a late night show?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huge hit 25+ killion opening weekend on only 800 screens. Thats half as many screens as the other top 5 movies.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge hit 25+ killion opening weekend on only 800 screens. Thats half as many screens as the other top 5 movies.

Yeah, it appears to be the highest per screen average ever at $31k per screen. The other top movies were in the $5k/screen range.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was pretty crazy. I liked it, but it didn't live up to the hype. It was very crude. I really liked the interview with the feminists and the scene at the pentecostal church. An older lady sitting in front of us bailed during that church scene. I'm guessing she was pentecostal, I was surprised that she made it that far because she looked fairly uptight.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who have seen it and watch Da Ali G Show, was it all new material or was a lot of it recycled? I'm not watching it in theater due to my mini boycott, but I will rent it when it comes out...am I gonna see stuff I've already seen or will I get all new Borat?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those who have seen it and watch Da Ali G Show, was it all new material or was a lot of it recycled? I'm not watching it in theater due to my mini boycott, but I will rent it when it comes out...am I gonna see stuff I've already seen or will I get all new Borat?

He doesnt use anything from the ali g show. I mean he is in similar situations but its not copied.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Alright I may want to go see this at a midnight movie at the Centerpoint or something like that. Anyone else up for a late night show?

I'd be down. Centerpoint is a great place to watch a movie. Not too big on Borat...but enough alcohol will help that.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be down. Centerpoint is a great place to watch a movie. Not too big on Borat...but enough alcohol will help that.

LOL I already went and saw it that night =)

It is a funny movie but not one that I think would do well as a multiple show.

asudevil83

Reaction score
saw it last night, and it was decent. not deserving of the hype that its getting though

the "stupid foreigner" thing had been played out too much by pretty much every tv station in the world, so the jokes had just been too recycled for my taste.

definately not the best comedy EVER.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My favorite Ali G Borat segment was when he is at the baseball game and he sings the national anthem.... The funny part is when he says, "want to see picture of wife?" and then there are 2 good pictures, then 2 pictures of some naked fat lady spread eagle. My wife and I laughed for like 2 hours at that. The lady he showed the picture to says, "Um did you know these were in here?"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser