Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bowen admits kick, denies intent
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
May. 12, 2007 12:00 AM

The San Antonio Spurs reacted to Suns center Amaré Stoudemire's accusations Thursday that forward Bruce Bowen and guard Manu Ginobili are dirty players.

Stoudemire mainly was upset about a Game 2, third-quarter play in which Bowen's leg thrust out to the back of Stoudemire's leg as he went up for a dunk.

"I saw the replay, and it's obvious I did clip him," Bowen told San Antonio reporters. "But to kick him, that wasn't the intention at all. It was an unfortunate situation, and I'm sorry he feels that way. But as far as me intentionally kicking him, that does nothing for me. I have a lot of respect for him, so I wouldn't do that.

"There was no intention. I think if I tried to do that again, I wouldn't be able to do it. It was just an unfortunate circumstance. I'm sorry it happened."

Asked if he expected Game 3 repercussions, Stoudemire said, "I really don't know, and I really don't care, to be honest with you."

Stoudemire said he did not get a call from NBA officials, who ruled that there was no proof of intent.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called the Bowen-Ginobili-Stoudemire story line "irrelevant."

Stoudemire was upset with Ginobili for wrapping his arm around his leg in Game 2 and when he kneed Stoudemire in the crotch on driving collision during the regular season.

"We try to play hard," Ginobili told San Antonio reporters. "I don't think anybody's dirty. I don't know why he said that. I don't really have anything to say about it. I just try to play hard and follow the game plan."

Asked if Stoudemire's comments might fuel the Spurs, Suns guard Steve Nash said, "I would think if you ask the Spurs, they're playing their best. What can they do? Reinvent themselves?"

Spurs forward Tim Duncan agreed when talking to San Antonio reporters. Initially, he said he had "so many reactions, but none worth saying."

"It's motivation in the same," he said. "But at this point in the playoffs, do you really need motivation? I don't think we do. He can continue to give us fuel if he wants to, but, honestly, we're not going to play any harder or any less because of what anybody says.

"For whatever reason, people don't expect people to play hard. It's not the regular season, and we're not going to let people walk through us and everything else. When you get to playing tough, people take it a different way. We're going to continue to play the way we play. I don't think we're in any way dirty, and we don't do anything to hurt anyone."

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
"For whatever reason, people don't expect people to play hard. It's not the regular season, and we're not going to let people walk through us and everything else. When you get to playing tough, people take it a different way. We're going to continue to play the way we play. I don't think we're in any way dirty, and we don't do anything to hurt anyone."

Good. So he won't mind when Amare broadsides his head with an elbow....

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
"I don't think we're in any way dirty, and we don't do anything to hurt anyone."

Well, gee whiz, I'm convinced.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"I don't think we're in any way dirty, and we don't do anything to hurt anyone."

Well, gee whiz, I'm convinced.

"Heck, there are lots of times I don't try to hurt anybody. Besides, it's only a coincidence that people around me get hurt. I can't help it if they are all unlucky."

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In the old days, every NBA team had a designated "enforcer". He would be a big, tough, low skill guy who could get rhrown out without the slightest ripple. Just knowing the other team had a guy like that was sometimes enough to limit what might be done.

Back when Fortson deliberately injured Carbakapa, Jahidi White ripped of his warmup jacket and ran to the scorer's table. If Fortson had not been immediately rejected, it could have been a classic confrontation.

BTW, I kind of miss Jahidi. He wasn't much of player, but I just loved it when he'd get the ball at the top of the key and then drive the basket. It was like watching the Red Sea part because no one is his right mind would try to take a charge.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the old days, every NBA team had a designated "enforcer". He would be a big, tough, low skill guy who could get rhrown out without the slightest ripple. Just knowing the other team had a guy like that was sometimes enough to limit what might be done.

Is Kurt Thomas going to be our Moe Lucas?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Is Kurt Thomas going to be our Moe Lucas?
Good point. If KT and Bell can be as effective as Mo Lucas and Dennis Johnson were as enforcers before Coach John MacLeod blew them away, the legacy they could have reached could be realized now. In other words, a Championship.

The starting five of DJ and Sweet D in the backcourt; Luke and Nance at Forward; and James Edwards at Center was my all-time favorite Suns starting lineup.

Reaction score
I live in Central Phoenix, transplanted from the W

That's exactly what we should use Burke for. He's not gonna get any playing time, he's big and unless we're up by 40, he's riding pine. Come on D'antoni, put Burke in, let him throw a hard elbow to an eye-socket or nose. The team doesn't really need him, like we need the other guys. Next time Gi-NOSE-li grabs someones leg, put Burke in to sweep his knees, maybe break them.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Anything that resembles retaliation on the Suns part will put the refs squarely on the Spurs side. Except for a couple of blunders they've called the games fairly even and thats all the Suns need. We're screwed if we try to match the Spurs with dirty tricks - our guys are amateurs compared to them. The refs will be on the alert this game for their well known tricks but they won't tolerate any form of revenge by the Suns - our guys have to keep playing just like they have been. The best revenge would be slapping a loss on them on their home floor.

Heck, we were lucky the NBA didn't suspend Bowen or Manu for a game - the way those two are playing, the more minutes they get the better off we are. Amare survived Timmie's takedown and Bowen's kick and he outsmarted Gino by not reacting to his leg grab.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I love this 'admission'.

The one thing that's immediately obvious from every angle is intent--Bowen makes a completely unnatural move, then slinks away afterward like a cat in the night. But if he admits intent, the league might actually punish him, so he'll never say that.

But since doing the dirty act won't get him punished without proof of intent, he's happy to admit to the crime itself. :lol:

Oh, and I agree with Gaddabout--the only person on the Suns who might be able to act as enforcer is Kurt Thomas. None of the others have the requisite skills.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Breaking News: "Bruce Bowen admits kneeing Steve Nash, but denies any intention to cripple.

"I saw the replay, and it's obvious I did knee him," Bowen told San Antonio reporters. "But to cripple him, that wasn't the intention at all. It was an unfortunate situation, and I'm sorry he feels that way. But as far as me intentionally kneeing him, that does nothing for me. I have a lot of respect for him, so I wouldn't do that.

"There was no intention. I think if I tried to do that again, I wouldn't be able to do it. It was just an unfortunate circumstance. I'm sorry it happened."

A copy of Bowen's graduation certificate from "Official Women's Self-Defense Class" dropped out of his pocket, but he hastily picked it up."

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manu knees Amare in the nuts in the regular season..

Bowen knees Nash in the nuts in the playoffs..

Complete coincidence..

I mean come on, these are complete freak incidents that can not be explained..

And Manu should never be called out for flopping only on opposing players no matter that he is well known for self control and balances on a huge inflatable ball every day.. Just an unfortunate incident..