Brand new 2-round mock 3/24/11

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Newton is as elite as a prospect could be.

How many players had more potential than Newton ever?

QBs fail for two reasons. They're head isn't screwed on right or they're not accurate. There are legitimate concerns about both for Newton.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
With the lockout, it is MORE likely QBs will be more valuable not less likely.

Any QB will likely be locked in at a rookie salary for many years AND teams with issues can't solve them without a CBA.

Without a lockout, I would say the Cards pass on a QB. With the lockout, I think they take Gabbert or Newton if they are there.

Quite the opposite, I think the lockout makes it far, far less likely for us to draft a QB. What would the team rather have: a vet QB with almost no time to learn the offense, or a rookie QB with almost no time to learn an offense?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Quite the opposite, I think the lockout makes it far, far less likely for us to draft a QB. What would the team rather have: a vet QB with almost no time to learn the offense, or a rookie QB with almost no time to learn an offense?

How many franchise QB's are traded / aquired vs how many are with the team that drafted them originally?

It's all fun to say that we can just plug this or that guy in, which is true but honestly are the odds better of getting another DA or Warner on the open market?

I mean let's review here, in the history of the Cardinals franchise we have precisely oh, ONE major QB aquisition that worked out and that was for how long?

I think it's high time we invested up to 5 YEARS of drafting a QB until we fix this issue then build around them, you could trade for one too but who just gives up a franchise type QB?

How often does Drew Brees happen?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Newton is as elite as a prospect could be.

How many players had more potential than Newton ever?

Errrrr Jamarcus Russell??? Agreed Newton has a very high ceiling but you have to factor in likelyhood of reaching that ceiling as well. Manning/Leaf.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would the team rather have: a vet QB with almost no time to learn the offense, or a rookie QB with almost no time to learn an offense?
NFL teams --especially those drafting in the top-10--aren't just drafting for this season. It's a with a long-lens that they look at these picks; the QB even moreso, I would imagine.

JMHO

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
With the lockout, it is MORE likely QBs will be more valuable not less likely.

Any QB will likely be locked in at a rookie salary for many years AND teams with issues can't solve them without a CBA.

Without a lockout, I would say the Cards pass on a QB. With the lockout, I think they take Gabbert or Newton if they are there.

I disagree, in a way.

If the lockout extends through the draft (because the lockout was upheld on April 6), then quarterbacks are going to be LESS valuable. This is because teams will likely have a shortened or non-existent offseason period, so rookies will have no time with the playbook and we wouldn't see rookie QBs able to compete until December, a la John Skelton.

When players and owners finally resolve their labor issues, the rookie cap will likely include limits on the length of rookie deals--probably 4 years. This is problematic for drafting a quarterback because they take time to devleop. Basically in this scenario, you're spending QB money on a guy you're going to have to make a decision on in three seasons or less.

If the Minnesota courts overrule the lockout, then QBs will be MORE valuable. This is because this'll likely be the LAST rookie class eligible under the current rules to sign five- or even six-year rookie deals, and you'll have them in a slightly abbreviated but more-or-less complete offseason program.

But, in general, if there is a rookie salary scale, and it WILL limit the length of rookie contracts, it will de-value the quarterback position compared to others.

Stout

Reaction score
How many franchise QB's are traded / aquired vs how many are with the team that drafted them originally?

It's all fun to say that we can just plug this or that guy in, which is true but honestly are the odds better of getting another DA or Warner on the open market?

I mean let's review here, in the history of the Cardinals franchise we have precisely oh, ONE major QB aquisition that worked out and that was for how long?

I think it's high time we invested up to 5 YEARS of drafting a QB until we fix this issue then build around them, you could trade for one too but who just gives up a franchise type QB?

How often does Drew Brees happen?

That's great, but if we don't have a CBA signed by the draft, the team must assume that any drafted QB will be absolutely worthless for their first season, and will in essence be a rookie in his 2nd season. Sure, a CBA MIGHT be signed soon after the draft, but you can't bank on that. You have to figure, if there is a season, you won't have much time to get your QB up to par on the playbook. And, if that's the case, and we draft a QB, Skelton will be starting and that QB will get very little developmental time for the entire season, and will have to start from scratch before the next season.

Stout

Reaction score
Also, that wasted year from a rookie QB would still be a used contract year, so you'd essentially be getting a QB with one less year under contract to develop.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's great, but if we don't have a CBA signed by the draft, the team must assume that any drafted QB will be absolutely worthless for their first season, and will in essence be a rookie in his 2nd season. Sure, a CBA MIGHT be signed soon after the draft, but you can't bank on that. You have to figure, if there is a season, you won't have much time to get your QB up to par on the playbook. And, if that's the case, and we draft a QB, Skelton will be starting and that QB will get very little developmental time for the entire season, and will have to start from scratch before the next season.

Also, is a legit starting QB going to come here as a FA if we use a first- or even second-round pick on a quarterback? It's all well and good for Whis to tout competition, but that's not realistic for the QB position, and no one good is going to want to come here and earn his job over scrubs, and then look over his shoulder every time he throws two picks in a game.

Whis's game of 2010 QB roulette probably hurt the Cards for a couple of seasons.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Errrrr Jamarcus Russell??? Agreed Newton has a very high ceiling but you have to factor in likelyhood of reaching that ceiling as well. Manning/Leaf.

and all three names that you mentioned went in the top 2 picks of their respective drafts. Betting money in on both Carolina AND Cincinnati taking QB's at the top of the draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05