Brenly out LaRussa in?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZSportsGirl17
nahh...not gonna happen. even if it does, bad bad bad idea. i hate larussa

I love this idea. Brenly is not a great coach. He tried to be an X's and O's coach when all ya have to do is put your best players in the game and make them win. LaRussa Would be great!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I believe that Al Pedrique is next in line. He developed the Baby Backs (as we enter into rebuilding) and has Managerial experience.

Jerry Colangelo hires from within. It hasn't worked for the Suns because there are no Minor League managers to move up in the NBA setup, just Assistants.

Ironically in baseball, AAA managers have to do almost everything a Major League manager does . . . plus, with a smaller coaching staff, alot more.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brenley is a bad ass. If they get rid of him I will be really upset. LaRussa is a punk.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, if Brenley does happened to get fired, you can bet your savings account that Mark Grace will be the next manager.

Reaction score
Originally posted by BC867
I believe that Al Pedrique is next in line. He developed the Baby Backs (as we enter into rebuilding) and has Managerial experience.

Jerry Colangelo hires from within. It hasn't worked for the Suns because there are no Minor League managers to move up in the NBA setup, just Assistants.

Ironically in baseball, AAA managers have to do almost everything a Major League manager does . . . plus, with a smaller coaching staff, alot more.

i totally agree with you. pedrique would be great with all the young players...and a majority of the team is young players anyway. also some of the veterans have probably worked with him in the past. i would like that move a little better. yea, larussa would be a great manager i just dont like him that much. my family for some reason are st louis cardnial haters. its crazy! yea i hate brenly too.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hate LaRussa, he is a smug SOB and he can't handle a pitching staff properly

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SameOleGee
BTW, if Brenley does happened to get fired, you can bet your savings account that Mark Grace will be the next manager.
'Not going to bet my savings account on that.

I'm disappointed that Gracie turned down the chance to build managerial experience in the Minors. Baseball provides for that experience, whereas the NBA does not.

And we all know where Jerry turning the Suns over to inexperienced Head Coaches four times in a row has led them.

Bob Brenly moved from the broadcast booth with seemingly great credentials, but no managing experience. If he had it, we would have known that he has some real drawbacks. Namely talking to his players through the Press and not letting them get comfortable in their roles.

Mark Grace has an outgoing personality and is very outspoken. Other than that, he has not had the opportunity to determine if he has leadership and administrative skills. We don't need a figurehead, we need a tactician and an effective leader of people.

It might be Mark someday, but I'd hate to see him tested at the Major League level, as Brenly was.

Last edited:

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by BC867
Bob Brenly moved from the broadcast booth with seemingly great credentials, but no managing experience. If he had it, we would have known that he has some real drawbacks. Namely talking to his players through the Press and not letting them get comfortable in their roles.
I wouldn't critique Brenly for talking to his players through the press.

The Phillies have a manager who does that all the time. Trust me, Brenly is nothing like that. In fact the D-Backs organization as a whole tends to be pretty mum on criticizing players. The rumors that you heard such as with Durazo and Kim are not attributed to the organization with any sources. It seems to be that Brenly almost never publically criticizes his players at all. From what I understand, the problem is that he doesn't communicate with them one to one well at all. This was apparently Melvin's strength and his loss made a big difference in that regard.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan
From what I understand, the problem is that he doesn't communicate with them one to one well at all. This was apparently Melvin's strength and his loss made a big difference in that regard.
That's what I was referring to. Specifically, Junior Spivey reading that he would be playing RF. Then responding, through the Press, that "2nd base is my position".

The year before, the same scenario played out with Erubiel Durazo. And, both times, Brenly backed down. It showed weakness, as well as not learning from previous mistakes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05