Brennaman to Cincy?

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Are you joking? I'd rather listen to Thom than Jeff the robot who has absolutely no personality. Thom is Fox's number two play-by-play man.
And Joe Buck and McCarver are their number one. What's that have to do with anything??

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Those guys are color commentators, not play-by-play like Brennaman. Unless Gracie takes the vacant job of Batting Coach, TV color is not an open position.

Regarding the TV play-by-play job, I repeat what I felt when the rumor of Thom moving to Cincinnati originally surfaced.

Greg Schulte is a good guy and has overcome alot in his life (cancer), but is not a TV "voice" or personality. And as he gets older, he mis-calls alot of plays or waits til they're over to call them at all -- on radio.

Jeff Munn (who has been the backup radio guy to the Guv'ner) could be the next Vin Scully in style and personality. And, for a young guy who began as the Suns courtside announcer, he has an amazing knowledge of baseball history.

Did you see on Sunday when he came in second to Josh Brynes in the celebrity trivia contest (which went back to 1951 in knowledge). Munn finished one point behind the GM (who previously worked for the Red Sox and has an extensive background as a baseball exec).

Jeff Munn for TV voice of the Diamondbacks. :thumbup:

Jeff Munn would more then likely stay on the radio side and Schulte will be play-by-play on TV.

I wonder if they'd bring in Steve Stone for color if Grace decides to leave

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASA...t_id=1698664&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Reds hire another Brennaman
Thom joins father, Marty, on Reds broadcast team
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The lure of coming home to work with his father proved too irresistible for Thom Brennaman.
The 43-year-old veteran broadcaster, the son of Hall of Fame voice Marty Brennaman, joined the Reds' radio and television broadcast teams on Wednesday and was signed to a four-year contract.

"I just can't tell you how excited I am to be back here," Thom Brennaman said during a press conference at Great American Ball Park. "This is just awesome."

Brennaman, who worked for the Arizona Diamondbacks since their inception in 1995 and did television play-by-play the past nine seasons, will work approximately 90 games for the Reds. Of those, 45 will be on radio with his father at WLW-AM.

The rest will be with FSN Ohio, which expanded its television rights next season, from 100 to 145 games. Current broadcasters George Grande and Chris Welsh remain contracted to do 100 games.

An opening next to Marty Brennaman was created at WLW when the Reds decided to not to renew the contract of partner Steve Stewart in August. Thom said that he'd read about Stewart's situation, but since he was under contract with Arizona, never made any inquiries with his father.

Marty Brennaman, who has 42 seasons in broadcasting, joined the Reds in 1974. He was honored with the Ford Frick Award and joined the broadcaster's wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000.

"I didn't think this day would ever come," Marty Brennaman said. "I quite honestly never dreamed it would ever come. I've always been envious of Jack Buck, God rest his soul, for getting to work with Joe. Harry [Caray], who worked with his grandson, Chip, and then Skip would work with his son, Chip, now in Atlanta. There were so many obstacles to overcome to get [Thom] to come to Cincinnati."

Among the bigger roadblocks -- Thom was still under contract with the Diamondbacks. The Reds, led by chief executive officer Bob Castellini and chief operating officer John Allen, sought permission to speak with Brennaman in late August.

"Jeff Moorad, our CEO with the Diamondbacks, left a message saying he got a very interesting phone call," said Thom. "'The Reds called to ask for permission to talk to you.' I was as stunned as probably he was when he got the call."

Brennaman said "a half-dozen" clubs had sought permission to talk with him, but he never had any interest. He also did not seek the Reds opening in 2003 when Stewart replaced retiring legend Joe Nuxhall.

"The last couple of times it's been open, I really haven't been interested," he said. "I was at a place in time where I was still trying to build my career. I'm still trying to build my career."

Arizona granted permission this time and eventually released Brennaman from his obligation so he could move to Cincinnati. He thanked his old boss, Moorad, and also praised Castellini and Allen for helping clear numerous obstacles.

"They have made dreams come true today," Brennaman said. "The dream of working with my dad, who I still feel is the best announcer in baseball. I don't say that as a son about his dad. I listen to games on radio. He is the best broadcaster in Major League Baseball. I hope I can still learn from him."

Another consideration was a personal one. Brennaman's wife, Polly, was born and raised in the Phoenix area, and the couple has two children, Ella Mae and Luke.

"If she wanted to say no, [it would be] no problem," Brennaman said. "But once I could feel she was turning and going in that direction, [it was a] no-brainer as far as everything else."

A Cincinnati native, Brennaman attended Anderson High School and went to college at Ohio University. One of his first professional jobs was calling Reds games on WLWT-TV in the late 1980s with Johnny Bench. He was also a weekend sports anchor for the station and later he went on to call University of Cincinnati men's basketball games on WXIX-TV.

A play-by-play job to call Cubs games for WGN television and radio lured Brennaman out of Cincinnati for six seasons. From there it was on to Arizona, but Cincinnati was never far from his thoughts.

"This is a town that I love and care about more than you can ever know," he said. "Whether I was in Chicago or Phoenix or all parts in between, I can tell you what's going on with Anderson High School football. I can tell you Colerain and St. X are going play a [heck] of a game sometime this fall. I can tell you what's going on with UC basketball, and I can tell you that the Buckeyes are on their way to playing in Glendale on Jan. 8 [in the BCS college football championship]."

Whether or not Ohio State is playing in the national championship, Brennaman will call play-by-play for the FOX television network, as well as for NFL games. He will also continue to work play-by-play on FOX's national baseball Game of the Week. Because of the new broadcast contract FOX has with Major League Baseball, he will miss Friday and Saturday Reds games for 26 weeks.

"We found a way to work through it," Brennaman said. "John and I sat down on the phone and in person and just hammered through all this kind of stuff. It's rare that you find organizations anywhere that will let you do both of these things. I'm so grateful they are allowing me to do both."

A few more questions remain for the Reds -- namely, who will fill out the television and radio teams? Allen said that the club is looking for someone to do 120 games on WLW and about 15 ro 20 for FSN.

"We're looking. We don't have a timeline," Allen said. "Ideally, it would be a former player. Never say never, but our focus on that position so far he been a former player."

Where does Nuxhall, who came back for a handful of games this season, fit in? Allen said that Nuxhall could return for eight or nine games on radio next season depending on his health and the schedule.

Finally, what are Marty Brennaman's long-term plans? The 64-year-old told MLB.com last month that he'd like to have four more years on the air full-time before cutting to a part-time schedule. On Wednesday he saw a clear line of succession forming with Thom.

"I told them if the day ever comes and they want to make him the marquee name in this grouping, they've got my blessing," Marty said. "If they want me to do three innings and he did six, that's fine with me. If I'm going to pass the torch, so to speak, I might as well pass it on to my son."

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
If seniority prevailed. Who says it has to?

Just my guess based on Schulte's experience on the TV side. Munn doesn't have any that I know of.

IMO It will switch to what it was like when Thom was covering games for FOX ... Schulte on TV and Munn on radio

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Well it appears that they're going to hire outside of the organization to replace him. Interesting ...

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=75766

The D-Backs hope to have a replacement for Brennaman within a month, Hall said, and expect to hire a replacement from outside the organization.

“Obviously we’ll get a lot of phone calls. We already have,” Hall said. “We’ll put together a short list, people we would like to go after. We’ll find an applicant who will have similar talent and experience.”

Original D-Back voice Greg Schulte, the lead radio announcer, TV analyst Mark Grace and radio analyst Tom Candiotti “will be here,” Hall said.

“We’ll figure out a perfect fit (to go with them) and go after him.”

Top candidates the D-Backs might seek permission to interview include San Francisco’s Dave Flemming, 29, who teams with Jon Miller and Duane Kuiper, and San Diego play-by-play man Matt Vasgersian, 39.

The D-Backs’ job could draw a lot of interest, since their compensation package for announcers ranks among the top five in the major leagues, according to industry sources.

Dbacks4Ever

Reaction score
I know I'm new to this board posting wise, but there's one candidate from the past that the Dbacks should be considering...Victor Rojas. Having picked up XM Radio last year, I've had a chance to listen to a lot of different broadcasts teams and Rojas has gotten even better from his time here with the Dbacks. He's also done television in the last couple of years and has done a stint with ESPN, so says his bio.

I remember Greg and him having a good relationship and he knows the organization...young, good personality and having read stuff here in the past, well received. Just my thoughts.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I am not unhappy to see Thom go, and wish him well.

I also like Vic Rojas a lot -- but he's got family in Texas, and unless the Rangers are switching things around, not sure why he'd come back.

I also like Brett Dolan, who did Sidewinders games for many years, and is often tapped to do fill-in mlb games and minor league all-star games, etc. I used to really like the guy who did the Jethawks games prior to this year, but he moved on to LA; plus these guys are radio and may not translate well to TV.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work to Thom and Steve Lyons making fun of the almost blind Met fan. Real class.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thom is only doing 90 Reds games and 45 of them will be on tv. I guess he'll have more time to spend with his family than he did here in Arizona.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Well, I guess I am in the minority - I liked Thom a lot! It was also nice to know we had the number 2 broadcaster for FOX... that might not mean much to some, but I have an inferiority complex and it meant a great deal!

This is kind of a sad time right now - the old regime is gone and leaving. It almost seams like that 2001 Championship was decades ago.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, I guess I am in the minority - I liked Thom a lot! It was also nice to know we had the number 2 broadcaster for FOX... that might not mean much to some, but I have an inferiority complex and it meant a great deal!

This is kind of a sad time right now - the old regime is gone and leaving. It almost seams like that 2001 Championship was decades ago.

He won't be the #2 guy if he keeps being an ignorant frat boy during games. He made fun of the vision impaired during an entire at bat. Not even Joe Buck is that much of a jerk.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like we might have our replacement for Thom.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=522043

Sutton won't be coming back
Brewers' play-by-play announcer said he will pursue other interests
By DON WALKER
[email protected]
Posted: Oct. 23, 2006
Daron Sutton, play-by-play announcer for the Milwaukee Brewers since 2002, will not return for the 2007 season, the team announced Monday night.

Brewers/MLB
Tigers pitcher Kenny Rogers, who insisted after Game 2 of the World Series that he merely washed off "a clump of dirt" after TV cameras detected a substance below his left thumb, had some explaining to do after video footage of his previous two post-season starts showed similar smudges.
Poll
Are you sad to hear that Daron Sutton is leaving the Brewers' TV broadcast booth?

Click here
Related Coverage
Bench coach: GM wants Yount back
Notes: Reyes spurs La Russa to alter his plan
Announcer: Sutton won't be coming back
Video: World Series features
Playoff glance: 2006 World Series

Brewers Etc.
Roster
Statistics
Schedule
Transactions
Injuries
'07 Schedule
'05 Review

MLB Etc.
Scoreboard
Standings
Trades, transactions
Index of player, team, league statistics
'05 post-season

Brewers Forum
Got something to get off your chest? Voice your opinion and interact with other fans in our free Brewers Forum. Go to Forum
Sutton, 37, the son of former Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Don Sutton, joined the Brewers after two seasons of radio play-by-play for the Anaheim Angels. Sutton said he was leaving to pursue "several opportunities presented to me recently."

Sutton said the parting of the ways with the Brewers was amicable.

"The last five years in Milwaukee have been very good for not only me but also my family," he said. "Having spent a significant amount of time here while growing up, this city is something of an adopted hometown for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Brewers, but there are several opportunities that have been presented to me recently and I believe the time is right to pursue those interests."

Sutton had been in negotiations with the Brewers for a contract extension, according to Rick Schlesinger, the team's executive vice president for business operations.

"We had a number of substantive discussions," Schlesinger said. "We had spent a fair amount of time with Daron and his agent. We had cordial and good conversations and there was no animosity. We wanted him back."

Schlesinger said Sutton kept the franchise informed of his interest in other jobs.

"We decided to let Daron explore his options," Schlesinger said.

One prominent broadcasting job that recently became available is in Phoenix, where Arizona Diamondbacks announcer Thom Brennaman announced that he was leaving to join his father, Marty, in Cincinnati. Sutton said he was interested in the Arizona job.

Schlesinger praised Sutton for his work on the Brewers telecasts.

"He has also worked tirelessly in the community, and we thank him for all of his efforts," Schlesinger said.

Sutton said he would miss Brewers fans.

"The fans here are fabulous," he said. "They are passionate, forgiving and real."

Of all the Brewers broadcasts, Sutton said he would never forget the game in which Ben Sheets struck out 18 batters.

"Being raised by a pitcher, and being a minor-league pitcher myself, I love pitching. That day I will never forget," he said.

A search for a replacement will begin immediately, Schlesinger said, adding he expected the Brewers to be inundated with applicants.

Sutton said he would continue to broadcast UW-Milwaukee men's basketball games.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Sutton fan, but there are worse options out there. He's atleast a younger guy who won't be telling old fart stories like Garagiola

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I am not unhappy to see Thom go, and wish him well.

I also like Vic Rojas a lot -- but he's got family in Texas, and unless the Rangers are switching things around, not sure why he'd come back.

I also like Brett Dolan, who did Sidewinders games for many years, and is often tapped to do fill-in mlb games and minor league all-star games, etc. I used to really like the guy who did the Jethawks games prior to this year, but he moved on to LA; plus these guys are radio and may not translate well to TV.
Brett Dolan is now the Astros number 2 guys. He started last season and works with Milo Hamilton.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score

From most the posts I read, most of the Brewer fans were sad to see him go.

The interseting thing I caught was that a couple of the Brewer fans said he was acting too goofy with the other commentator, Bill (don't know last name). If thats the case, it'll def be interesting to see how he interacts with Grace

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan