Brewers vs Dbacks Series Thread

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Qualls just gave up the tying run. Once again he comes in and blows it. Feel bad for Petit.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Blow more games Chad Qualls... I dare you.

Did anyone hear that stat? Against Qualls with RISP, hitters are 16 for 35 against him?!?! And yet Melvin continues to just throw him out there with the game on the line. No reason this team is struggling to stay afloat.

The bullpen continues to waste solid outing by the starters...

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3-2 Brewers. If the Diamondbacks lose they will only be in first by 1.5 games. How much longer can this team go with Melvin as the manager?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
So... Melvin puts Reynolds at first, for the first time in his major league career, and he commits an error that puts the lead run on base. He is a magic man this Melvin. Everything he touches turns to crap. :(

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Reynolds never sees ground balls like that at third base. Position had nothing to do with that error.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Because Reynolds never sees ground balls like that at third base. Position had nothing to do with that error.

I'm not excusing Reynolds for the error. Just odd timing putting someone out of position in a 2-2 game in the 8th. Reynolds screwed it up, but Melvin can't seem to make a good decision anymore. Players aren't performing, but its an epidemic. Something needs to be done.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another loss. I can't believe Melvin had CoJack bunting with two on and no outs. He got the bunt down but they are giving up an out from one of their few hot hitters.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I havent seen anything good from this team in over 6 weeks, and I dont think we will get any better. Im hoping im wrong

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Houston robbed the Diamondbacks in the Valverde trade.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My god Melvin is a moron first with on first and second and with no outs fing idiot melvin ugh you don't bunt with your best hitter in jackson on the plate, and why t he hell did he bench petit he was pitching a great game he could have probally stayed in the game stupid stupid. I really believe if we are like 5 games under at the all star break melvin needs to be canned he is doing nothing for this team he plays favorites way to much. Oh yeah the dodgers just won again today to add insult to injury...

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is positively abysmal... and an embarassment to themselves. The only thing worse is the coaching, especially Clarabelle himself. Gawd, I can hardly watch this team play.

Maybe it's best they sink to the cellar for the rest of the season... then maybe we could get a REAL manager.....

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and btw, Qualls and Pena need to go, along with Clarabelle....

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score

Sorry, I should have elaborated... in the last 35 ABs with runners in scoring position against Qualls, he has given up 16 hits. However, as stated in the link you provided, he has given up a total of 16 hits (in 48 ABs) with RISP on the year... that works out as a .333 average for hitters (and I believe that was prior to tonight's game). Still not very good.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having guys thrown out at home and third didn't help. The team lacks the killer instinct. We have had so many pitchers on the ropes, only to let them up.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Many years ago, "The Peter Principle" stated that In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob Melvin is waiting for management to put him out of his misery, but is too passive to make anything happen.

He has clearly reached his level of incompetence.

P.S.: After a half a season of no bunting, no hit-and-run, no stealing, etc., tonight he has, what, four batters bunting, including his cleanup hitter. One extreme or the other. That never works.

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
I pin this loss on the manager's decisions. Petit's excellent start is wasted and the D-backs are officially a losing team now and will be a second-place team by Monday. The Padres are due to come out of the quicksand they're in.

I understand Petit was due up in the 6th, but he was pitching as good as anyone on this team has been. 77 pitches, tired after giving up one run? I would hope not. Why remove a pitcher when he is dominating a game like that? He got scored on in the 6th, so he MUST be done, right, Clarabell? Then I saw Salazar making his way out of the dugout and all went downhill. Slaten came in and was great, then time is called, a meeting at the mound and Rage Against The Machine is playing, which means only one thing, Qualls. Like clockwork, he gives up a run and BoMel has micromanaged himself into trouble again. Pena allowed a homer to the first guy he faced, there is little hope. It was good to see them comeback to tie it, but Lyon has quickly proven that he can no longer be counted on to save games. Things are going so poorly that Chris Young can make a huge catch, then ground out into a game-ending double-play.

Then there's the 'braintrust'. Put Reynolds at 1B for the first time ever in a close game? Melvin's explanation was "an infielder's an infielder". They bunted often and well (with big Fielder at first, I understand that), but why have Jackson bunt with guys on base? It was a good bunt and all, but who are you fooling be having your cleanup hitter, who happens to be the best hitter on the team, BUNT? 12 men left on base?!? Unacceptable.
On the positive side, Augie is Mr. Versatility. O-dog had 4 hits and got into scoring position in the 9th. All the more reason to NOT get him locked up for a few more seasons and trade him this summer, isn't it, Josh Byrnes?

Having guys thrown out at home and third didn't help.
Your possible next manager did a great job coaching third base in those innings. :rolleyes: