Bryan Colangelo Interview

fordronken

Reaction score
It's on the front page of Suns.com. He basically said that anybody they draft for right now has to be a player that they think will be able to help them in a Conference Finals situation. Otherwise, it makes more sense to get a player to develop slowly, or a European player to leave overseas.

He also said that there are about 8-10 players they're interested in within the 15-25 range.

Bryan Colangelo told reporters

Last edited by a moderator:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Conference finals would be a backup point guard who is an on the ball defender like Earl Watson or Lindsay Hunter.

Also a perimeter defender like Ruben Patterson or Bruce Bowen. Someone who can guard Ginobli.

Maybe a big rebounder/shotblocker since we got killed on the boards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
fordronken said:
It's on the front page of Suns.com. He basically said that anybody they draft for right now has to be a player that they think will be able to help them in a Conference Finals situation. Otherwise, it makes more sense to get a player to develop slowly, or a European player to leave overseas.

He also said that there are about 8-10 players they're interested in within the 15-25 range.

doesn't that basically include everyone? so bryan said they'd draft someone who either could help now, would need to be developed, or would be left in europe. what else is there? stupid.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
doesn't that basically include everyone? so bryan said they'd draft someone who either could help now, would need to be developed, or would be left in europe. what else is there? stupid.

Well, it's not like he's gonna tell Suns.com who he really wants to draft. But the fact that he really doesn't want to draft a player for now unless they can immediately contribute on a big stage is a little telling. They either need to be extremely NBA ready(and probably with some tournament experience) or it sounds like he's gonna go for a Euro to save the money.

As we've all been speculating, unless somebody irresistable drops, there's a pretty good chance our 21st pick in the draft will be playing in Europe next year.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

:lmao:

He also said when he was interviewed that they could take the pick at #21 if they thought they could get someone good, or trade up to get a better player, or as another option they could trade down. I understand not wanting to tip your hand, but honestly! Do you think anyone hears these comment and says, "OMG, that Bryan C. is so smart to think of those options...I guess that is why he is GM of the Year!"

scotsman13

Reaction score
JPlay said:
Conference finals would be a backup point guard who is an on the ball defender like Earl Watson or Lindsay Hunter.

earl watson? i dont believe what i just read. nash (who lets face it isnt once of the quickest players around) destoryed him in the playoffs. memphis fans want to dump this guy on his ass because they felt that he was so worthless and you want this guy to be your on the ball defender? heck barbaros is a better defender on the ball them watson is.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Linky

Suns Focused on Draft
With the 2005 NBA Draft slated for June 28, the Suns have several more workouts scheduled at America West Arena over the next week, as they work towards finalizing their wish list. President Bryan Colangelo told reporters that the club is looking at a number of options. Check back with Suns.com for more as the draft nears.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Also a perimeter defender like Ruben Patterson or Bruce Bowen. Someone who can guard Ginobli.

Maybe a big rebounder/shotblocker since we got killed on the boards.

The Suns will not go out and spend money on a back up point. Instead they are going to focus on developing Barbosa

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SweetD said:
The Suns will not go out and spend money on a back up point. Instead they are going to focus on developing Barbosa

How do you figure that?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think y'all aren't reading enough into BC's comments. Allow me to paraphrase:

- We are currently looking for someone who might have made something of a difference for us in the Spurs series. Perhaps someone like Ike Diogu.

- If the players we think fit in that category don't fall to us, we're not going to worry about finding players who can make our roster right now. That means although we need help on the bench, we are not going to waste draft picks on people with limited potential.

- Without the likelihood of immediate help, we will focus on reaching for players, perhaps a high school player, or a European player we can stock away. If this happens, expect us to be more active in the free-agent market that was previously expected.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
I think y'all aren't reading enough into BC's comments. Allow me to paraphrase:

- We are currently looking for someone who might have made something of a difference for us in the Spurs series. Perhaps someone like Ike Diogu.

- If the players we think fit in that category don't fall to us, we're not going to worry about finding players who can make our roster right now. That means although we need help on the bench, we are not going to waste draft picks on people with limited potential.

- Without the likelihood of immediate help, we will focus on reaching for players, perhaps a high school player, or a European player we can stock away. If this happens, expect us to be more active in the free-agent market that was previously expected.

:stupid: You just saved me the trouble of typing this, thanks.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

Nicely said, right when I read it, I thought the same thing...How ambiguous of a comment :biglaugh:

Also gaddabout's comments I agree with

The draft is just around the corner...allright!

Then free agency...woo hoo