Bryson DeChambeau's 423-yard drive lights up disappointing opening round at Memorial

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It says so much about the ever-growing fascination with Bryson DeChambeau and his outrageous transformation that despite the American shooting a mediocre 73 in the first round of the Memorial, most of the morning talk at the Muirfield Village venue focused on one drive struck by the world No 7. But then, it is not every day that the PGA Tour witnesses a 423-yard drive which the golfer later claims did not come out of the middle. “Yeah I hit it a little high on the clubface,” DeChambeau said, about the tee-shot on the 473-yard first (his 10th) that at least found the centre off the fairway and left him 45 yards to the pin. Chalk up this miss-hit as yet another colourful line in the intriguing story of the 26-year-old from Modesto, California. DeChambeau - or DeRambo as they now call him since he put on 40lbs in less than a year and turned himself into the biggest hitter in the game - divides opinion as surely as he splits fairways, but even his detractors cannot deny that he is enthralling. Tiger Woods certainly thinks so. On Wednesday, Woods played a practice round with his Ryder Cup teammate and quizzed him about his new strategy and how he can marry such extraordinary ball speed at the same time as maintaining the accuracy. And in truth, even DeChambeau is struggling to come to terms with his new surreal reality. “I sometimes can't believe it,” DeChambeau said. “There were years where I hit five-iron into the first. It's wild. I'm just blessed that I've been able to figure some stuff out with the driver. Got a lot more to work on with the wedging and iron play.”

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05