BUF 33 AZ 18 Thoughts

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pat P. has always played in a tuxedo---he doesn't think tackling is part of his job description and it is one of the reasons why teams want to run in his direction and why the perception of the Cardinals is that they are soft because the coaches put up with it.

Richard Sherman once said that Pat P. wouldn't start in their secondary because first and foremost Pete Carroll expects all the DBs to tackle and tackle hard. Other teams are well aware of Pat P.'s reluctance to hit. And I have to admit, when he did that slip yesterday, I actually wondered if it was on purpose so he wouldn't get exposed or so he would at least have an excuse. I know---why am I thinking that? But I was. Were any of you?

My thoughts exactly. Somehow I think he subconsciously thinks that by falling down and blaming it on the turf, he is less vulnerable to criticism that he was actually in a position to make a play. It's like people who are afraid to take risks because they are afraid of failing. If he did it once, it would be considered a fluke play but it mysteriously happens everytime there is a runner coming at him in the open field.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
what jumps out at me is the turnover differential... it seems we are winning T.O.P. and yardage in every game.. but losing the turnover battle... the one time we win it, we win the game.

Redbirds need to protect the damned rock...if they do that, they win.

and everything else miraculously looks fixed.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
what jumps out at me is the turnover differential... it seems we are winning T.O.P. and yardage in every game.. but losing the turnover battle... the one time we win it, we win the game.

I don't think it is as simple as that. The Bills looked much more passionate, hungry and determined. The Cardinals looked lethargic and undisciplined. Plus---both of the Cardinals' lines got way outplayed and outmuscled by the Bills'.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

we won the turnover battle against the Pats 2-0 and lost the game.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think this describes yesterday's game perfectly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Very thorough write up Mitch. There is promise. They do not play as well from behind. They made too many costly mistakes. It comes down to the leaders NOT MAKING DUMB MISTAKES. Veldehr seemed to be in a haze. Don't think Shipley is starter material. Floyd should lose his starting position for a week. Palmer was pressing toooo much to make things happen. The D needs production along the front 7. Coaching needs to step UP!

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
So Mr Legendary PP21 gets a showed up because of one play? What about his terrible penalty and falling down by himself in the middle of the field. Id rather have a guy that would shut his trap and play solid football. Then a guy who makes a splash and stinks it up the rest of the game.

Or letting Taylor run into the end zone untouched. I couldn't believe he was the last person there, and made no effort -- just watched him run in. PP21 is an amazing talent, but he needs to be a leader and today his effort on the field did not show leadership.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Great post Walter.

I'm very concerned about this team. Last year I knew they could score on anyone early on in the regular season & cover up a so-so defense, but this year I really don't feel the same.

2016 feels different & looks different! It sure does remind me of the 1985 Redbirds on how teams took away Lomax to Green deep, Rod Dowhower never adjusted & the Cards finished 5-11

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Great post Walter.

I'm very concerned about this team. Last year I knew they could score on anyone early on in the regular season & cover up a so-so defense, but this year I really don't feel the same.

2016 feels different & looks different! It sure does remind me of the 1985 Redbirds on how teams took away Lomax to Green deep, Rod Dowhower never adjusted & the Cards finished 5-11

What's so concerning at this point is how the team is not responding to the coaching pre-game or at half-time. That, on top of putting forth a pretty dismal effort in the pre-season. Good habits are being abandoned by the players and at this point it looks like a team that thinks they can just turn it on, when their habits suggest they've been turning it off most of the time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely feels like the team is missing a gear this year.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
What's so concerning at this point is how the team is not responding to the coaching pre-game or at half-time. That, on top of putting forth a pretty dismal effort in the pre-season. Good habits are being abandoned by the players and at this point it looks like a team that thinks they can just turn it on, when their habits suggest they've been turning it off most of the time.
You & Harry called it!

I outside of All or nothing what those issues are? Losing veterans like Rashad etc? I think the "Hollywood, we've arrived" persona is a huge factor.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also confusing to me.... Why did BA not go for the 54 yard fg on first drive. If we go up 3-0 that may have been a big lift early... Especially when he went with 60 yarder later.... If we don't high snap the ball... We probably win that game by 10. We got the ball inside the 30 3 times and had ints..which if the game was close. We probably play much more disciplined and may get a TD but atleast 2 Fgs ...that play was huge... The Honey Badger play would have been huge too....so technically we could have scored 30+ points easy... It may be a reason why ESPN... Has us still at #5...those guys watch tape to be prepared to talk about the week.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Yeah I was surprised to hear BA say the problem wasn't effort at all. He said in fact you could say it was too much effort. He thinks they're pressing way too much and it's causing poor execution. Jeez, I guess that's another possible side effect of All or Nothing. Not the "we've arrived, I don't have to work" mentality - but the pressure to live up to the hype and bring a Super Bowl, and the entire league gunning for you.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also confusing to me.... Why did BA not go for the 54 yard fg on first drive.

If he knew how things would turn, I'm sure he would have gone for the kick. But at the time, the defense completely pummeled Buffalo's offense in the first drive. So with the way our FG team has been flaky, it looked like a good strategy to pin them deep and let our defense tee off again. I agreed with it at the time.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why all the doom and gloom. We could easily be 3-0....thats the NFL......we fix a few things and we will be fine. You guys are micro criticizing things. We had 2 major plays go against us....the defense gave up a few plays here and there...but this is the NFL..it happens. Pittsburgh just got waxed....I agree BA tries to much for the long ball...but if we hit 1 pass here or there....the HB fumble mess up...the botched snap really changed the game....23-10...is much different than 30-7.....we mathed down the field a lot...Plmer forces stuff...but we were down 20+ and he hadnt thrown an INT all season. We will be fine....come back here in 12 weeks....we will be 10-4 or maybe better. but we will all take 10-4

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake