By not dealing Nash, he and Suns suffering now

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the pre-KJ team was better from a rebuilding standpoint, because it had Larry Nance, whose trade value was much higher than anything on the 2012 Suns' roster. I don't know how the Suns succeeded in outbidding other teams for Chambers, but I doubt anyone thinks that they'll strike gold in the FA market like that any time soon. And I'd say that drafting a player of Hornacek's caliber in the second round is pretty close to a miracle.

My recollection is the Suns signed Tom Chambers (the first unrestricted free agent in NBA history) just past the stroke of midnight when free agency first started. They offered him a him a take or leave it offer that was too good to refuse and he accepted. The Suns were proactive back then. They snatched him before any of the other teams had a chance.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think there is a good chance that we will offer Westbrook the max and he will take it, OKC wont match it because paying him the max is questionable and they would probably rather keep Harden and Ibaka than overpaying Westbrook.

We then draft Gilchrist at #5. Amnesty Childress in 2012 or 2013 depending on how much interest they have in the 2012 FA class. Extend Lopez to affordable deal or resign him or match offers. Sign a couple roster fillers and don't overspend to have some more flexibility in 2013.

C -Gortat/Lopez
PF-Morris/Frye
SF-Dudley/Warrick
SG-Gilchrist/Childress
PG-Westbrook/Price

That is likely not enough to get in the playoff picture so in 2013 we would have another lottery pick and some capspace to continue building the team. Warrick expires and maybe we can turn Frye into an expiring contract before.
I think if OKC decides their not gonna extend Westbrook, then they will trade him before the deadline. Then the new team can just sign him. A move something like Rondo for Westbrook could very well happen.

What would the Suns have to offer OKC in that scenario?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Nets have a shot at those two, I don't know why we shouldn't try.

The Nets are gonna be in Brooklyn, NY, a HUGE market and have a money bags Russian owner willing to spend.

we're a mid-market team with an owner everyone apparently loathes and is known as a notorious penny-pincher.

kind of a HUGE difference between the two franchises at this point.

If Colangelo were running the show, that's what he would be doing.

you're right... but he's not, so we're screwed.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Yes, the pre-KJ team was better from a rebuilding standpoint, because it had Larry Nance, whose trade value was much higher than anything on the 2012 Suns' roster. . . .

But the only way they'll get such a piece is through the draft, which is what I was saying.

I don't think it is likely that we will be competing anytime in the next decade with if we continue the type of decision making we have seen thus far under Sarver, but you still don't convince me that contending is unrealistic. Sure the 87 Suns had Nance, but we ought to have a fairly high pick this year, and my guess is a pretty high one next year.

Two years from now, we may have a core of Gortat, Morris, and two top 8 picks. That is enough of a building block to gather other talent around and compete within 8 years.

My point is not that things are looking promising, but to say it is unrealistic to compete in a decade is a stretch.

asudevil83

Reaction score
The Nets are gonna be in Brooklyn, NY, a HUGE market and have a money bags Russian owner willing to spend.

we're a mid-market team with an owner everyone apparently loathes and is known as a notorious penny-pincher.

kind of a HUGE difference between the two franchises at this point.

but but but.....we have the weather and golf.

if the suns were serious about maxing out two guys this offseason we would have heard about it, and we would have seen some pro action on their part to clear cap space, along with grabbing as many picks as possible to build with.

chances are we derp it up in the offseason. Nash and Hill will walk. we'll strike out on max FA's, overpay to fill out the roster, and probably extend Lopez for starter money.

AZ Husker

Reaction score
but but but.....we have the weather and golf.

if the suns were serious about maxing out two guys this offseason we would have heard about it, and we would have seen some pro action on their part to clear cap space, along with grabbing as many picks as possible to build with.

chances are we derp it up in the offseason. Nash and Hill will walk. we'll strike out on max FA's, overpay to fill out the roster, and probably extend Lopez for starter money.

Isn't it amazingly easy to predict what this franchise will do?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake