Cardinal employees to be put on a one week furlough

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Bidwills are cheap. Have they lost money recently or something?

Actually they have, tickets are down, merchandise is down, and so on. They are paying people to sit at their desks and twiddle their thumbs for the most part right now, unproductive is losing money. I have had to do it, I have had to tell others they have to do it, it is no fun but when there is no work to be had it has to be done, no matter how much cash the business has in the bank. And what all of these reports are not mentioning because it would be far less of a compelling story and they leave it out on purpose for that very fact - it is my understanding that all of these coaches and employees will get this money back if a season does indeed start on time with preseason game 1.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually they have, tickets are down, merchandise is down, and so on. They are paying people to sit at their desks and twiddle their thumbs for the most part right now, unproductive is losing money. I have had to do it, I have had to tell others they have to do it, it is no fun but when there is no work to be had it has to be done, no matter how much cash the business has in the bank. And what all of these reports are not mentioning because it would be far less of a compelling story and they leave it out on purpose for that very fact - it is my understanding that all of these coaches and employees will get this money back if a season does indeed start on time with preseason game 1.

This! :number1:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This kind of thing angers me. This is the SECOND time I have seen this brought up to be a national news story and I don't get why the Cardinals are at the forefront of it at all. Makes no sense.

Will someone tell me what the difference but what the Cardinals have done with their employees and what 20 other teams are doing?

Why are the Cardinals the story? Why is Schefeter tweeinting about this and not the Colts or the Dolphins? If the Cardinals were the only ones, it would make sense to spotlight them but every mention of it has a big "CARDINALS PUT EMPLOYEES ON WEEK LONG FURLOUGH" with the small text saying how this is not uncommon during thelock out.

Talk about sensationlism at its worse. This Bidwills are cheap is a self fullfilling prophecy at this point. I am not saying it wouldn't be nice for Billy Boy to spend like Mark Cuban, but if we are going to point out his flaws, lets make sure 75% of the owners in the NFL aren't doing the EXACT SAME THING.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Just another person bagging on the Cards just to bag on the Cards. When in reality five teams off the top of my head actually straight up fired, laid offed/ right sized what ever you want to call it the week they invoked the lockout months ago. The Jets being one of them. Cards and Dolphins also are not the only ones invoking a week long furlough, yet the media only wants to inconsistently report on just these two teams. Why is that? Because the headline Jets fire 18 employees to brace for lockout just doesn't sound as cool as a Cards are cheap headline.

You make a great case, Joe, as always.

However, in my way of thinking, for right or for wrong, the context that is important to remember with regard to the Cardinals is the $30M they slashed from the payroll last year---the Jets and Dolphins didn't slash that kind of money---so, again, for right or wrong, it looks like the Bidwill's were already preparing for the lockout by slashing salaries last year.

Ironic too that the two teams you cited, the Jets and Dolphins were the ones to pay Calvin Pace and Karlos Dansby what the Cardinals either refused to or couldn't pull off or couldn't manage to.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make a great case, Joe, as always.

However, in my way of thinking, for right or for wrong, the context that is important to remember with regard to the Cardinals is the $30M they slashed from the payroll last year---the Jets and Dolphins didn't slash that kind of money---so, again, for right or wrong, it looks like the Bidwill's were already preparing for the lockout by slashing salaries last year.

Ironic too that the two teams you cited, the Jets and Dolphins were the ones to pay Calvin Pace and Karlos Dansby what the Cardinals either refused to or couldn't pull off or couldn't manage to.

The cards offered a contract pretty much on par with what the dolphins offered Dansby. He chose to leave. If that makes the Cards cheap so be it. They offered Rolle a hefty sum as well. He also chose to leave. Cheap it is then. People like you Mitch perpetuate the stigma.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like I said?
They could have spent more last year if they had chosen to (not a biggie considering who we at QB), but I am not in the same old Cards camp by a longshot.

I think we will spend a whole lot of coin this year. :)

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could have spent more last year if they had chosen to (not a biggie considering who we at QB), but I am not in the same old Cards camp by a longshot.

I think we will spend a whole lot of coin this year. :)

Of course they "could have" they tried hard too. Tried to resign dansby and Rolle. Got surprised by Waner retiring. Not hard to look cheap even though you weren't when those three things occur. It's nice to say they could have. But unless you have a viable idea where they could have put 30 million to good use the argument is pretty silly IMO.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cards offered a contract pretty much on par with what the dolphins offered Dansby. He chose to leave. If that makes the Cards cheap so be it. They offered Rolle a hefty sum as well. He also chose to leave. Cheap it is then. People like you Mitch perpetuate the stigma.
Shane, people also forget that the way the rules were last year, after losing Dansby and Rolle, they would have had to replace them with similar contracts and there were no players worth that money at thay point. It had nothing to do with not wanting spend it.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane, people also forget that the way the rules were last year, after losing Dansby and Rolle, they would have had to replace them with similar contracts and there were no players worth that money at thay point. It had nothing to do with not wanting spend it.

Another really good point. Thanks!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Banky, Shane, AF, et al:

It's all a matter of perception.

Go back to 2008---no one could believe the Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl---now they were the underdog darlings of the NFL, led by the consummate underdog in QB Kurt Warner.

Everyone in the football world knew Kurt Warner was the main reason why the Cardinals got to the big show.

Yup, the same Kurt Warner who was not tabbed by the coaches to be the starting QB that year---the same Kurt Warner whom ESPN speculated had won the starting job at the end of pre-season, much to the disdain of Ken Whisenhunt.

So Warner wins the starting job and takes the Cardinals to its first NFC West crown, it's first NFC Championship and its first Super Bowl appearance.

Warner's 2008 salary: $5M (and he had asked for a contract extension that summer was denied).

Then---with all eyes watching following the Super Bowl---the Cardinals manifest shrewd negotiations with Warner on a new contract---to the point where a frustrated and exasperated Warner flies to SF with his wife to get wined and dined by of all teams, the 49ers.

Even though the Cardinals managed to acquiesce to Warner's contract demands---the way the whole affair was handled did little to expunge the stigma of parsimony the Bidwills have been mired with for decades. ESPECIALLY in light of how Warner deserved a great deal more than the $5M he earned in 2008.

Then---the Dansby and Rolle debacles last year---

Again: we are talking about perception here.

And if you want an argument as to what player the Cardinals could have paid money to last year and didn't? (while saving a tidy $30M)

There were several---but how about the most conspicuous one?

How about QB Marc Bulger?

The coaches wanted him---the front office said no.

Again---think of how incidences like this affect the general public's perception of the organization.

And this is one of a historical series of reasons why the stigma persists.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Banky, Shane, AF, et al:

It's all a matter of perception.

Go back to 2008---no one could believe the Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl---now they were the underdog darlings of the NFL, led by the consummate underdog in QB Kurt Warner.

Everyone in the football world knew Kurt Warner was the main reason why the Cardinals got to the big show.

Yup, the same Kurt Warner who was not tabbed by the coaches to be the starting QB that year---the same Kurt Warner whom ESPN speculated had won the starting job at the end of pre-season, much to the disdain of Ken Whisenhunt.

So Warner wins the starting job and takes the Cardinals to its first NFC West crown, it's first NFC Championship and its first Super Bowl appearance.

Warner's 2008 salary: $5M (and he had asked for a contract extension that summer was denied).

Then---with all eyes watching following the Super Bowl---the Cardinals manifest shrewd negotiations with Warner on a new contract---to the point where a frustrated and exasperated Warner flies to SF with his wife to get wined and dined by of all teams, the 49ers.

Even though the Cardinals managed to acquiesce to Warner's contract demands---the way the whole affair was handled did little to expunge the stigma of parsimony the Bidwills have been mired with for decades. ESPECIALLY in light of how Warner deserved a great deal more than the $5M he earned in 2008.

Then---the Dansby and Rolle debacles last year---

Again: we are talking about perception here.

And if you want an argument as to what player the Cardinals could have paid money to last year and didn't? (while saving a tidy $30M)

There were several---but how about the most conspicuous one?

How about QB Marc Bulger?

The coaches wanted him---the front office said no.

Again---think of how incidences like this affect the general public's perception of the organization.

And this is one of a historical series of reasons why the stigma persists.

Mitch it's not perception, it's reality. I really thought the Cards turned over a new leaf when they got the stadium, but the do only enough to sucker us in to believing...as you say, the Warner fiasco proved that to me.

And yet many on this board thinks the Cards will go on a spending spree this year...Fitz, Breaston, Kolb/Palmer, Ike Taylor, Matt Light, etc.

I really believe thoughts of keeping our core & signing big time FA's (in 1 season) will never happen until bowtie has passed...it's just reality. With that said I don't think Breaston will get a long term deal & I can only imagine what would happen if a new CBA is agreed upon & FA started the next day :bang: because we would probably lose Deuce, THT & Breaston among others. I'm still skeptical that #11 gets a deal past 2011.

I'm calling a spade a spade & the Cards hand never has Aces in it.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

This probably isn't related to being cheap but why is it that almost every time the Bidwills offer a contract on par with what other teams are offering the players take the other offer?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
This probably isn't related to being cheap but why is it that almost every time the Bidwills offer a contract on par with what other teams are offering the players take the other offer?

What Shane seems to not realize is the Cards seem to be reactive not proactive. The Dansby, Rolle & Pace situations should have never gotten to the point it did. There are other situations rearing it's head this year & when that happens, the players feel slighted & could've probably been had cheaper had the Cards been more proactive. We keep thinking we draft well enough to replace those guys & yet we seem not too. At this point we still don't have a threat as an edge rusher.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What income source has been hit as of today? Revenue is ticket sales (and parking), concessions, tv contracts, and merchandise. Aren't all of these (except mechandise) real season streams? None of that has started nor been affected by the "lockout." And all of that will presumably be on par with the revenue of last season once the lockout ends. Sounds like a banner year from a cost v/s revenue standpoint since revenue has not been impacted (yet) and they're already slashing costs. Is this ownership hedging their bets that the season will be impacted?

Awesome post. Where's the email from the ticket office saying we don't have to send in the rest of our money until July instead of June?????

Sitting around doing nothing? The majority of Cardinal employees are not involved at all in player personnel or managing the logistics of OTA's.

The people working in ticket sales aren't. The people working for Cardinal Charities aren't. The Public Relations Department isn't. The assistants to the Bidwills aren't.

The Cards don't get their TV revenue until August or September every year anyway. They don't have to pay the players until the games start.

Why not just lay off everybody until the lockout is settled? It's a great job they'll be able to get plenty of people when things start back up.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that with teams doing this when their revenue streams haven't really been impacted that it could be a sign that the owners feel that things aren't going to be settled anytime soon and are cutting costs to be proactive and we may be looking at a lost season. :-(

Last edited:

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

1. Phoenix is crap. I say this as someone who has grown up in the Phx area but has traveled to other major cities.

2. No history of winning. It's just not cool to play here. I'm sure Cards players get junk talked to them the same as fans do.

Those are two guesses, I'm sure there are more reasons.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1. Phoenix is crap. I say this as someone who has grown up in the Phx area but has traveled to other major cities.

2. No history of winning. It's just not cool to play here. I'm sure Cards players get junk talked to them the same as fans do.

Those are two guesses, I'm sure there are more reasons.

But then why do players from other teams live in Phoenix? Personally I love Phoenix but the first thing I'd do if I had to live there would be to buy a house or condo in Flagstaff for the Summer.

I do agree with your 2nd point and would add that the Bidwills must do something in contract negotiations that alienates both players and agents. They don't seem to have any problems with lower paid players but annually have issues with those that have to be paid big money.

I'll never forget the rumor that said that the Cards drafted guys too high so they could try to lowball them in contract negotiations by saying they weren't really deserving of the high 2nd round pick the Cards used to get them. :D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The coolest thing for the Cards to do have been "no furloughs or salary-cuts" so long as those employees worked full-time during the "down period" for a not-for-profit group.

The team could then take a tax write-off for all or part of the personnel expenses they hoped to recoup.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Bidwill just informed Cards employees that were laid off that they will be reimbursed for time off/pay cuts.

Good job Cards.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Bidwill just informed Cards employees that were laid off that they will be reimbursed for time off/pay cuts.

Good job Cards.

But they are cheap! This can't be right

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A smart and classy move. The Jets did it perfectly; the moment the employees walked in the door, they were informed that all of that money had just been deposited into their bank accounts.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At least the team should have had the employees write a composition on, "Why I deserve to get my money back".