Cardinals’ D.J. Humphries believes he’s become one of league’s top tackles

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals’ D.J. Humphries believes he’s become one of league’s top tackles

Arizona Cardinals left tackle D.J. Humphries believes he’s put himself in a class among the league’s best as he approaches the possibility of free agency this March.

A first-round pick of the Cardinals in 2015, Humphries is playing out the final season of his rookie deal for the team after the team picked up his fifth-round option a season ago. Humphries has played every game for Arizona this season after injuries wiped out large portions of his first several seasons with the team. He believes he is playing his best football now.

You can’t argue with two sacks (allowed) in 15 weeks,” Humphries said, via Kyle Odegard of the team’s website. “I don’t know who can. If we had 10 wins right now, I feel like there’d be a lot different talk about the season that I’m having, and the season our offensive line is having.

“Most of (the opposing edge rushers) are in the Pro Bowl or the playoffs. I like that footage. The numbers don’t lie. The film don’t lie. All the other (expletive) can go with the wind. Everybody in these locker rooms, the cats that wear them helmets, everybody I go against, they know what the truth is, and that’s all that matters.”

The Cardinals felt comfortable enough with Humphries play despite his relatively limited number of games to pick up his fifth-year option worth over $9 million. If they agree with him that he’s made a leap into the league’s upper echelon of tackles, the team could elect to place the franchise tag on him to maintain control of his rights and keep him from free agency. The franchise tag for offensive linemen in 2019 was just over $14 million.

Humphries believes he’s finally seeing the effort he’s put in pay off.

“This (expletive) didn’t happen by accident,” Humphries said. “I put this work in all (expletive) summer, to make sure I would do what I’ve done on the field. I meant to do this. To finally be happy and be that guy, it makes a world of difference.

“It’s very easy to not think about (free agency) when you’re playing good football. One thing is for sure: If I keep playing like I’m playing, it’s going to take care of itself. I won’t have anything to really worry about.”

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s def trending up. Only 2 sacks given up and just the way he shut down Bosa this year is pretty impressive. I mean what’s he supposed to say yeah man I suck.

he’s 24/25?

The Cards got young talent at LT and QB two of the 3 most important positions in football( the other a dominate pass rusher).

I honestly don’t think this team is to far off

Reaction score
He’s def trending up. Only 2 sacks given up and just the way he shut down Bosa this year is pretty impressive. I mean what’s he supposed to say yeah man I suck.

he’s 24/25?

The Cards got young talent at LT and QB two of the 3 most important positions in football( the other a dominate pass rusher).

I honestly don’t think this team is to far off

CJ is not a dominant pass rusher?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There has never been much question of his raw ability. It is fair to question his determination and offseason effort. Coming into his money year he clearly worked harder this offseason and therefore stayed healthier and played better.

That said he is still mediocre at run blocking, concentration (movement penalties) and just grabbing people when he doesn’t get in proper position to run block. I’m okay with some holds in pass protection.

I’d tag him and go from there. This likely guarantees a big effort year.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I agree with Harry, tag him.

While he does have some historical concerns, it’s not as if he just flashed this year. Show me a better move ready to be made at LT??

We need to take care of the dudes on the team/already in the organization.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just gotta get into his head about being one of the best ever if he puts in continued feverish work. Not relaxing and settling for mediocrity once he gets his first big paycheck. That's what defines the greats from the forgotten. He's just coming into his prime (we first drafted him at age 20). He had to get the lazy kid embarrassed out of him by Arians and his big foot. Seems to have taken.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm Great! (pat's self on back) Pay me! I worked really hard this year (shhh, don't tell anyone I noticed it's a contract year)
Keim: Here's a 5 year contract for $70 million.
2020 season Humphries=DJ, relax, sit back and enjoy the ride.

The dude has had one, let me repeat one good season out of five and he wants top 3 money. You want to keep him around for next year, franchise him and tell him repeat the 2019 season and there is a contract waiting for you in 2021.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
DJ put the FO in a peculiar spot. He’s not good enough to have earned a sure-fire massive extension, but he’s just good enough that it would be risky to move on from him because you could do much worse than Humphries at that position. I think you tag him and go from there. Tell him to keep the sack total low and minimize the mental errors and he could get paid handsomely in 2021

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Luckily for us...... our 2016 draft was so horrific, we won't have any franchise tag issues if we do Tag DJ.

I think I am fully on board the "tag DJ train at this point. He needs to prove it IMO. Not "prove it again" since this season has been a mixed bag...... Just..... play like your in a contract year "prove it" for a second straight year.

Seriously..... that 2016 draft is a nightmare when you go back and look at it.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Luckily for us...... our 2016 draft was so horrific, we won't have any franchise tag issues if we do Tag DJ.

I think I am fully on board the "tag DJ train at this point. He needs to prove it IMO. Not "prove it again" since this season has been a mixed bag...... Just..... play like your in a contract year "prove it" for a second straight year.

Seriously..... that 2016 draft is a nightmare when you go back and look at it.
Craptastic

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Underperforming player with massive talent plays well in a contract year?

Wow never seen that before. How does it usually pan out for the team that overpays in those situations? Not well. DJ's ability has never been in question.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rare to find such consensus on this board about anything. Must mean it’s a good idea. Which means Keim will definitely overpay for too long a period of time.

if ever there was a poster child for Franchise Tag it’s this kid. Motivation and immaturity issues. Not a single completed season until a contract year. Good in one aspect (pass pro) and mediocre in another (run scheme). Leads his position in penalties. You don’t lock up that profile with a comfort contract. You make him prove it, and frankly improve it (fewer penalties) for a larger payday. And frankly, I’m not sure I don’t just continue to franchise him to keep him hungry.

Oh, and draft his heir to keep pushing him. He excels you’ve hopefully got bookends. He sucks or reverts you can him and move on with your new toy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Rare to find such consensus on this board about anything. Must mean it’s a good idea. Which means Keim will definitely overpay for too long a period of time.

if ever there was a poster child for Franchise Tag it’s this kid. Motivation and immaturity issues. Not a single completed season until a contract year. Good in one aspect (pass pro) and mediocre in another (run scheme). Leads his position in penalties. You don’t lock up that profile with a comfort contract. You make him prove it, and frankly improve it (fewer penalties) for a larger payday. And frankly, I’m not sure I don’t just continue to franchise him to keep him hungry.

Oh, and draft his heir to keep pushing him. He excels you’ve hopefully got bookends. He sucks or reverts you can him and move on with your new toy.

Counterpoint: You can lock him up for four or five years right now for about $30 million guaranteed. If you franchise him, you guarantee him about $14 million next year alone, and then if he performs again, you're guaranteeing him ANOTHER $30-35 million, and extending yourself out another year.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Counterpoint: You can lock him up for four or five years right now for about $30 million guaranteed. If you franchise him, you guarantee him about $14 million next year alone, and then if he performs again, you're guaranteeing him ANOTHER $30-35 million, and extending yourself out another year.

Also the chance he holds out which I could see especially if this team doesn’t make any big moves. He knows he has the leverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There has never been much question of his raw ability. It is fair to question his determination and offseason effort. Coming into his money year he clearly worked harder this offseason and therefore stayed healthier and played better.

That said he is still mediocre at run blocking, concentration (movement penalties) and just grabbing people when he doesn’t get in proper position to run block. I’m okay with some holds in pass protection.

I’d tag him and go from there. This likely guarantees a big effort year.
He has worked with LeCharles Bentley's Oline facility since his rookie year. He needed to mature. That is a given. The biggest concern is health and I don't believe that has changed. If he didn't have injury concerns, the conversation would be that he should be the highest paid OT in football IMO. It is the injury concerns which offer us the discount to 13-15 mil per year but I think you can structure any deal to protect the team in case that happens.