Cardinals’ D.J. Humphries believes he’s become one of league’s top tackles

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also, I don't feel like the issue for Humphries over the past two years has been his level of play, it has been health.

He was 22 and immature when he was drafted. He has worked hard on his technique and body since he was called out by Arians. He will be 26 this December, and it would be a shame to see us endure all of those developmental years to miss out when he is a more refined/polished player.

He has played 13/5/9/14 since his rookie season.

Three o-line coaches the past 3 years.

2016 - switched from RT to LT (concussion in December)
2017 - MCL Sprain which he then tried to play through and led to a dislocated knee cap.
2018 - Played through 9 games with another knee injury on same knee
2019 - Medically cleared and has played every game so far

Essentially, if the right knee is good, Humphries is good to sign long term.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Counterpoint: You can lock him up for four or five years right now for about $30 million guaranteed. If you franchise him, you guarantee him about $14 million next year alone, and then if he performs again, you're guaranteeing him ANOTHER $30-35 million, and extending yourself out another year.

im in this camp. sign him. if he stays this good, we want him again afterward too. Make him happy. Make this home.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
im in this camp. sign him. if he stays this good, we want him again afterward too. Make him happy. Make this home.

Ditto. The kid loves playing for this team, has said so last year too. I doubt the negotiations will be too tough given he is in a good spot with a good group on the OL, that holds value to an emotive player.

If his agent plays hard ball, that changes the situation, but I agree that this is a good time to take a risk on a reasonable multi year deal.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Funny how some people who complain about Keim signing oft-injured olineman want to give the oft-injured DJ a long term contract.

Dude has to prove he can stay healthy.

Franchise him.

The LT price tag isn't going to go up enough in one year to justify the risk on 14m vs 30+mil, an injured LT, and lots of wasted cap space.

legend

All Star
Reaction score
We need to start signing our drafted players when they grow into their positions. This team has a young left tackle that is talented and wants to be here.
Is he perfect? . . no. Does he jump early once a game? Yup . . I'll take an occasional hold if it saves our QB from getting blown up.
We've thrown millions at crap players. We paid him 9 this year. The whole line should progress together. Good teams don't F this up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how some people who complain about Keim signing oft-injured olineman want to give the oft-injured DJ a long term contract.

Dude has to prove he can stay healthy.

Franchise him.

The LT price tag isn't going to go up enough in one year to justify the risk on 14m vs 30+mil, an injured LT, and lots of wasted cap space.

agreed. tag him and bag him for a year. make him prove this year wasn't a fluke. if he's still producing and healthy next season, negotiate the long-term deal at mid-season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to start signing our drafted players when they grow into their positions. This team has a young left tackle that is talented and wants to be here.
Is he perfect? . . no. Does he jump early once a game? Yup . . I'll take an occasional hold if it saves our QB from getting blown up.
We've thrown millions at crap players. We paid him 9 this year. The whole line should progress together. Good teams don't F this up.

Exactly. DJ is going to get paid. And we had better be the ones to do it. We can't create another huge hole on the roster. DJ has all leverage and his agent will work it. That's why I think we wind up tagging him. We want a long term deal but that will be hard to make happen.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There’s one person who’s more motivated than DJ to have a long-term contract in place and that’s Keim. Keim is probably licking his chops at the prospect of one of his first-round draft picks finally getting to that second contract, which none of them have earned. From that standpoint alone, I could see DJ get egregiously overpaid.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard to let him walk... sack numbers look good, but his plethora of penalties are every bit as damaging as most sacks... Minus the ones where KM runs backwards 20 yards.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There’s one person who’s more motivated than DJ to have a long-term contract in place and that’s Keim. Keim is probably licking his chops at the prospect of one of his first-round draft picks finally getting to that second contract, which none of them have earned. From that standpoint alone, I could see DJ get egregiously overpaid.

Sadly, I believe you're right on point... I hope he tags him.

The multi million $$ guaranteed contracts... seem to be mostly creating wealthy athletes, who lose their desire to compete.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
DJ put the FO in a peculiar spot. He’s not good enough to have earned a sure-fire massive extension, but he’s just good enough that it would be risky to move on from him because you could do much worse than Humphries at that position. I think you tag him and go from there. Tell him to keep the sack total low and minimize the mental errors and he could get paid handsomely in 2021

DJ Humphries put the FO in a peculiar spot. DJ31 put the franchise in a ball busting squeeze. Tag DJ Humphries and let him prove himself before breaking the bank. In the meantime figure out how to get rid of David Johnson

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone else here smell Beanie 2.0’s contract coming back to life

player wants a new deal and works hard and gets said contract...now money in hand back to relaxing

You do not pay DJ as a top tackle
You offer him a great deal that’s production rated
Produce big get paid big
Produce like you have in the past and you get low pay

It’ll be interesting to see how Keim does this one

added note: DJ while he’s been solid at pass pro has been horrible at run blocking...even notice HE doesn’t talk about the run game.

He IS replaceable

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

player wants a new deal and works hard and gets said contract...now money in hand back to relaxing

Produce big get paid big

added note: DJ while he’s been solid at pass pro has been horrible at run blocking...even notice HE doesn’t talk about the run game.

He IS replaceable
Quick, name who you would actually replace him with that's available. Consider we also need an RT. "I don't know, let them figure it out" is not an answer, either.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Pay the guy. Do not mess around here. You have a young LT that you drafted in the 1st rd and more importantly is a pretty good player. You just took a QB #1 overall.

Don’t give him the same guaranteed $$ over 2-3 years that you could haven given him over 4-5 minus the uncertainty, possible resentment and the distinct possibility of him walking for nothing in return for that comes along with it.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Produce big get paid big

He IS replaceable
Wouldn't this be 3.0, I thought David Johnson was 2.0?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
0 Pro Bowls.
Most false starts in the league at his position.
Finished the season healthy once in 5 years.

About to be one of the highest paid tackles in the league. Probably top 5.

Nuts...... but inevitable.
I know, it is nuts. The money he gets will be insane. What can we do though? We could draft Andrew Thomas from Georgia & have him for 4 yrs on a rookie deal. If we win another game, we could fall to 7-10 possibly in draft position & at that point Thomas would be gone. I say just resign him & draft Derrick Brown from Auburn. DL is our biggest weakness imo. Hell, he may be gone also by the time we pick.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rare to find such consensus on this board about anything. Must mean it’s a good idea. Which means Keim will definitely overpay for too long a period of time.

if ever there was a poster child for Franchise Tag it’s this kid. Motivation and immaturity issues. Not a single completed season until a contract year. Good in one aspect (pass pro) and mediocre in another (run scheme). Leads his position in penalties. You don’t lock up that profile with a comfort contract. You make him prove it, and frankly improve it (fewer penalties) for a larger payday. And frankly, I’m not sure I don’t just continue to franchise him to keep him hungry.

Oh, and draft his heir to keep pushing him. He excels you’ve hopefully got bookends. He sucks or reverts you can him and move on with your new toy.
It's funny that he's better as a pass blocker than a run blocker. It was the total opposite when he played at Florida.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Counterpoint: You can lock him up for four or five years right now for about $30 million guaranteed. If you franchise him, you guarantee him about $14 million next year alone, and then if he performs again, you're guaranteeing him ANOTHER $30-35 million, and extending yourself out another year.
But if he’s saying he’s top three he ain’t accepting $6M/year for 5 years.