Cardinals 2006: In-Ferri-ible!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Yesterday my girlfriend Therese and I went to see "Invincible," the movie starring Mark Wahlberg as Vince Papale, the Eagles' special teams' standout (and South Phildelphia resident) who made the team as a walk-on in 1976 following Dick Vermeil's decision to conduct an open tryout at Veteran's Stadium.

The movie is spectacular...it evokes plenty of goose bumps, let me tell you!

And it reminded me of why I love pre-season football so much...it's like watching the NCAA Basketball Tournament because it is chock-full of Cinderella stories...

Yes, pre-season football. Back in Papale's days, NFL teams played six pre-season games...which is far too much as we all realize by now...even four games might be too much as it is...but, these pre-season football games are an opportunity for relative unknowns such as Vince Papale to show they can aspire to the highest levels of competition and persevere.

When I think back at all the late nights I have spent watching pre-season games live or on tape...I know that I was always feeding my constant fascination with discovering some hidden gem of a talent...some longshot rookie who seizes the day and the moment in the hope of making an NFL roster...oh, what an achievement that is...and oh, what a manifestation of the American Dream!

This year...I can't help but bristle with excitement when I think of our very own Cinderella, RB Diamond Ferri. As most of us know, Diamond Ferri was a last second addition to the Cardinals' pre-season roster when Roger Robinson, the NFLE leading rusher, was injured. When his signing was announced and posted on this board, the news was greeted in a rather familiar fashion as many of the posters deemed Ferri "trading camp fodder"...or "just another warm body."

Yet, we never really know. Do we?

It's amazing too at how small a world it is in sports circles...I mean almost all of us know of someone from our own high school leagues or college campuses who either made it to the NFL or came close..

In Diamond Ferri's case...I knew quite a bit about this kid...he played at Everett High School in Everett, Massachusetts...Everett is in the Greater Boston League, and I used to teach and coach at Arlington High School, a GBL rival of Everett's...and I used to coach against Everett's outstanding coach, John DiBiaso...who has won the Boston Globe's High School Division 1 Coach of the Year on three occasions, I believe.

I knew that Diamond Ferri had chosen Syracuse over my alma mater, Boston College, and I remember feeling more than a little disappointed that he did. That disappointment came to a climax when two years ago in BC's last year in the Big East, BC had to beat Syracuse at home on the last game of the season to win the Big East Championship outright...and for the game Syracuse decided to switch their starting FS Diamond Ferri over to tailback because the starter was hurt...and Ferri turned in an unbelievable performance, rushing to the tune of 140 yards and 2 TDs (against a BC defense that was then in the top ten of the country in rush defense) in a stunning rout of BC. Ferri also played spot duty on defense that afternoon and picked off a pass in the end zone. Man...and that was the way Diamond Ferri finished his career at Syracuse.

When Diamond Ferri was scooting for his 4th quarter TD versus the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first ever game at the new Cardinals' Stadium...I was ecstatic...at that point I thought that maybe Ferri would show enough to be considered for the practice squad...

Well, Diamond Ferri showed up big...very big...on special teams in the last pre-season game, making a couple of splendid bursts to the ball and delivering a couple of picture perfect tackles. And his timing couldn't have been better...the player the Cardinals were counting on to make these kinds of tackles, Jack Brewer, injured his shoulder in the game and was subsequently placed on the injured reserve.

Could it be? Diamond Ferri could actually make the Cardinals' roster?

And while Vince Papale's transcendence from the sandlots of South Philadelphia to Veteran's Stadium was against all of the odds...one still has to salute the undrafted college free agents like Diamond Ferri who come in as training camp fodder and run and tackle their way onto an NFL roster!

Oh, the pre-season! Oh, the American Dream!

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
Nice, Mitch. Very nice. I appreciate your ability to personalize the story for Cardinals fans and at the same time evoke the compelling power of the underdog myth. Most of us are rooting for this kid. Those who aren't have become so cynical that it's beyond our poor power to help them. Who knows? Maybe Diamond will reach them as the year progresses. Thanks.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm rooting for him, but I also think he's 1 or 2 signings away from hitting the PS.

njlawrence

RIP, Jim
Reaction score
Mitch, thanks so much for placing this guy in a context. When he made that touchdown in the Steeler game, I was scrambling for the program to see who the guy was who made the first rushing TD for us in the new stadium. With a name like that, you knew he would have a compelling story.

:thewave:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice post Mitch. It is odd but I liked this kid the first time I saw him carry the ball this preseason.

When I saw his play on ST I was praying they would find a spot for him. A real pick me up when I saw he made it.

Let him do his thing and he may become a special teams terror.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Great background and history on Diamond Ferri.

Hope to see "Invincible" soon. I loved "The Rookie." As ESPN said about that picture, it's corny, but it's true.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Great post Mitch. I'm curious - how did a Chowda Head such as yourself get sucked into being a Cards fan??

As for Ferri - I have to admit that prior to his appearance in Training Camp, I never heard of the kid. But I saw some things up in Flag, and then in the Pittsburgh game. I sit right on the goal line where Ferri scored that TD. He showed me more spunk than I've seen at the RB position for this team in quite some time!
This is indeed a terrific story and cuts to the purity of Sports. Our culture has commercialized sport to the point where it all seems more Fantasy Land than anything else. What it takes to land on Fantasy Land is all but forgotten and shoved to the side... Diamond Ferri reminds us of what hard work and dedication can bring.

I hope he goes on to enjoy a very long and fruitful career here in AZ. I know one thing for sure - he will give it 110% to make it happen!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diamond Ferri in addition to having a very cool name really brings it on ST. I hope he makes it through the waiver wire pickups because he has the potential to be the heartbeat of special teams.

He is the ultimate special teams player...a guy who plays all kinds of positions and just loves going down there and hitting somebody.

I'm really behind this kid and his textbook tackles.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So far, every time I see #36 flash across the TV screen - whether to blow up an opposing kickoff return, fight for extra yardage returning a kick or punt, picking up positive yardage from scrimmage or scoring from inside the 5, the kid never screws up. He always delivers.

If he can help out at safety so much the better. He seems like one of those kids who, plain and simple, is: "A football player."

Every roster needs a at least a few of those.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Dare we hope that the next Larry Centers has arrived?

No, but we can hope that it appears our new ST coach has a unique eye for special teams talent and the means to get the players he wants on the roster.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Dare we hope that the next Larry Centers has arrived?

I was thinking Stump Mitchell but what the heck! However, the only player i can remember starring on defense, special teams and offense for the Cardinals was number 25/81 and that is hallowed grounds.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Redmark said:
I was thinking Stump Mitchell but what the heck! However, the only player i can remember starring on defense, special teams and offense for the Cardinals was number 25/81 and that is hallowed grounds.

I'd be happy if he turned out to be another Johnny Bailey.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
I'd be happy if he turned out to be another Johnny Bailey.
Texas A&I ....loved when we drafted him. Larry Centers pretty much made him expendable....If he turns out like Johnny we got a player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05