Cardinals 2006: Kudos to Dennis Green

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I am feeling a whole lot different about Dennis Green these days. I am very impressed with his sense of urgency, his willingness to experiment with the current personnel and his continued capacity to build his talent base in Arizona.

While I still am a little dubious about Green's decision to offer contract proposal details to the media regarding Matt Leinart's holdout...I do appreciate the emotion he displayed at the press conference. Clearly, Dennis Green is sensing that he is on to something special here in Arizona and his emotions reflect this...as does his sense of the here and now.

There are now numerous moves that Green has made that deserve recognition and commendation:

1. Moving Reggie Wells to RT. A+ decision in my book.

2. Switching Fred Wakefield over to blocking TE to address the need there.

3. Picking up and holding onto key special teams players in Francisco, Ferri, Milligan and Ware (and placing Jack Brewer on the IR, thus keeping him in the fold for next year).

4. Adding veterans Brandon Gorin and Chris Liwienski to the offensive line in an effort to build strength, experience and depth there...when last year's unit was void of all three.

5. Drafting as well as any HC/GM the past three years...and hitting the jackpot this year with Leinart, Lutui, Pope, Watson, Johnson, Lewis and Watkins.

6. Adding super quality through free agency in Edgerrin James, Milford Brown, Troy Walters, Kendrick Clancy (man, has DG built a prolific and deep defensive line, or what?) and Jack Brewer (who was playing lights out on STs before his injury).

7. Trying John Bronson at FB. He just may develop nicely there in time.

8. Building the energy and confidence of young players such as J.J. Arrington, Duece Lutui, Adam Bergen, Leonard Pope, Carlyle Holiday, Jonathan Lewis, Gabe Watson, A.J. Schable, Antonio Smith, Darryl Blackstock, Gerald Hayes, Eric Green, Antrel Rolle, Aaron Francisco, Ernest Shazor, and Diamond Ferri.

9. Hiring new coaches with experience and savvy, a la Steve Loney (OL Coach) and Greg Zauner (ST Coach).

10. Imparting so much faith and confidence in Kurt Warner...who looks rejuvenated, driven and focused.

Please add your own kudos...there are many more things to recognize and appreciate.

Personnel wise, there is absolutely no question that this organization is heading in the right direction.

Yes, I thought he should have done much more to improve the offesnive line this off-season...but...to add Gorin and Liwienski this late...and not stand pat as he has done in the past, signals a refreshing change here...as refreshing as a brand new air conditioned crib to play the games in!

Green will earn my undivided support if he shows an improved ability to make in-game adjustments and far better clock management decisions. But, as of right now, the Cards are in the right places and all systems are go...and for that, Coach Green, I salute you.

Last edited:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I've always felt that, with Denny Green, that this teams often takes two steps forward and one step back. (One situation that comes to mind is the disbanding of the now troubled O-line -- Kendall, Shelton, Clement).

Fortunately, we've taken so many steps forward (with a few backwards) that the Cards are now in a position they haven't been in for a long time. The team has talent and depth, but still a few weak areas (and which NFL team doesn't?).

Finally, were are upon a season where I think this team should be competitive with every team they play. Every week this team has a chance to win.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i echo mitch's points....the front office did an outstanding job this year...what we need is to catch a few breaks....good turnover ratio, stay healthy...every team has some weaknesses we did a good job as of this morning to plug up the holes.

we need the right game plans and the ability to make changes on the fly when things are going south during a game...hear hear to DG and the staff...lets lace 'em up and play ball!!

njlawrence

RIP, Jim
Reaction score
Agree with all the above. Would add that from the preseason games it appears he has sharpened the ability to appropriately manage the clock.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
njlawrence said:
Agree with all the above. Would add that from the preseason games it appears he has sharpened the ability to appropriately manage the clock.

a good point but i think we have the horses that is allowing dennis to do the job...the guy has coached 200 odd pro games and a host of others as head coach at stanford and northwestern...so it is not new to him...the fact is YES much better clock mgt on the field...the most exciting thing to me is redzone play and third down conversions....that is what wins games!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how long these good feelings about Green last if a little adversity comes our way. Personally, I'd guess that they'd all be out the window as soon as this Sunday if we lose to the Niners.

I don't think the Cards should do an extension with Green. But, I think announcing that they have decided to pick up his club option fifth year might be a good move going into the season.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I agree in large part, but I want to see improved game management and actual NFL victories, before I totally go gah-gah over him. And short of serious injuries at QB, RB, WR, OLT, or CB I expect a serious run at the playoffs this year.

Week 4 at Atlanta.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:
I agree in large part, but I want to see improved game management and actual NFL victories, before I totally go gah-gah over him. And short of serious injuries at QB, RB, WR, OLT, or CB I expect a serious run at the playoffs this year.

Week 4 at Atlanta.

Well said.

Let's hope his game managment takes an upswing. If it does, playoffs here we come.

Add to that the other part of your equation (no significant injuries) and NFC championship here we come.

Add to that Dansby getting back and both he and Berry playing at a pro bowl level... Super Bowl here we come.

:thumbup:

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
I've always felt that, with Denny Green, that this teams often takes two steps forward and one step back. (One situation that comes to mind is the disbanding of the now troubled O-line -- Kendall, Shelton, Clement).

I didn't support releasing Kendall or Shelton but Clement was a different story. He was making $3M a year and he is only an average backup. Kendall didn't want to do it Green's way so he was released. When you argue with the boss you are going to lose. Green sent a very important message when he released Kendall. The talent level on this team was very poor when Green arrived. One of the things I like about Green he doesn't stick with something that is not working. Not everything he has done has worked and will still have areas to improve but the team has been improved in many areas. Hopefully, this year the improvement will lead to more wins and a shot at the play-offs.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
It will be interesting to see how long these good feelings about Green last if a little adversity comes our way. Personally, I'd guess that they'd all be out the window as soon as this Sunday if we lose to the Niners.

I don't think the Cards should do an extension with Green. But, I think announcing that they have decided to pick up his club option fifth year might be a good move going into the season.

That's true, AJ. If the talent and coaching changes/moves don't translate into wins on the field, Green's ability to get the job done will still fall into question.

Right now Denny seems more motivated than ever...so the Cardinals should keep the status quo and not give him an extension or the club option just yet. If he wins this year and the aura surrounding the club remains positive, then I would say yes, give him the club option and/or sign him to an extension.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
One thing that is rather curious about the current roster, especially in light of Green's recent explanation to the media as to why he didn't keep a blocking FB...he said something to the effect of "We tried, but that's not our thing. We are a three WR one RB team"...Why then is he only keeping 4 WRs on the roster? Yes, he signed three WRs to the practice squad...any or all of whom he could promote at any time, but still heading into a game with only 4 WRs when the Cards will run a preponderance of 3 WR sets seems questionable.

Maybe that will be fixed in short order.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, these last few days we seem like the New England Patriots not the Arizona Cardinals. Adding veteran depth that almost certainly will contribute is the hallmark of successful teams.

Green and Graves have done an outstanding job giving us the best Cardinals team we have seen since 88.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Mitch. For any long time fans out there , we can truly appreciate the pro-active style the Cards have taken.
I have said many times that a team can make personel decisions and yet things still won't work out for a number of reasons such as injuries. But for so many years the faithful would watch this team do NOTHING as our hopes would ride on a wing and a prayer. Every year we would have to hope for a "cinderella" type season without really believing we would compete. Every year we would have to come up with our 1 "playoff" game which would bw an upset over the hated Cowboys in week 5 or some other playoff team.

Things may not go as we all would like them to, but at least we are acting like a real NFL Franchise.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Moving Reggie Wells to RT. A+ decision in my book.

My question is, "Why Now?"

Why wait until that last possible moment to make these changes on the OL? Why not try out Wells at RT during the preseason?

I think it is crazy to make major changes to your OL the week before opening the season. This move should have happened at least 2 weeks ago.

seesred

Reaction score
IMO our new line coach Looney meets with Green last week and he suggests to Green that this is the line up he wants. They talk and they make changes. Better late than never. Looney had said at the beggining of camp his best 5 will be the starters no matter where they play.

GBR

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

Why wait until that last possible moment to make these changes on the OL? Why not try out Wells at RT during the preseason?

I think it is crazy to make major changes to your OL the week before opening the season. This move should have happened at least 2 weeks ago.
Agreed. But, if Green doesn't think the Gorin/Ross combo is going to cut it (Gorin only arrived two weeks ago), I'd rather make the move now than never.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I thought the RT was suppose to be the stout one (Not tryint to imply RW isn't). RW I thought was more of a finesse player and posters here seemed to think C would be a good place for RW. What has changed?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

I agree IMO and this looks like a move of desperation...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
I thought the RT was suppose to be the stout one (Not tryint to imply RW isn't). RW I thought was more of a finesse player and posters here seemed to think C would be a good place for RW. What has changed?

Well, Leinart IS left handed...so it wouldn't hurt to have a guy who is good at finesse blocking (blocking in space).

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:

Leinart is left handed so you will want someone at RT to protect his blind side. Plus I would rather have finesse players at T and stout players at guard and center.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I forgot about Leinart being a southpaw but he is the backup. I realize G's should be mauler types but I thought the RT was also to be a smashmouth player.

Not complaining just curious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05