abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0918cardsfolo0918.htm

Cardinals coach thrilled with crowd
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 18, 2007 12:00 AM

A game ball from his first NFL head-coaching victory now sits in his office. His answering machine and the text-messaging function on his cellphone are crammed with congratulatory calls from friends and fellow coaches.

But you know what makes Ken Whisenhunt most proud about the Cardinals' 23-20 victory over Seattle in Arizona's home opener?

It's you. The fans. It's the 64,542 of you who packed the place and brought the roof down, standing in a sea of unified red and cheering wildly during a fourth-quarter turnaround keyed by a fumble recovery and a solid march down the field for a last-second, game-winning field goal.

"Personally, at the end of the game, what means more to me was when it was a critical situation and our defense had to make a play, the crowd was there and they were into the game," Whisenhunt said at his Monday news conference.

"And that, to me, means that we have a chance if we do what we're supposed to do, to get something pretty special here as far as our fan support goes."

Whisenhunt credited the crowd noise for disrupting an attempted handoff between Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and running back Shaun Alexander with just under two minutes to play.

Linebacker Gerald Hayes got there just as the exchange was taking place and knocked the ball loose. Defensive end Darnell Dockett recovered, and the place got even louder.

"We had man coverage, and I had coverage on the back," Hayes said. "I shot through there. I saw an opening and just tried to make a play."

The crowd was on its feet from then on, and much like the first half, when the Cardinals dominated, the "12th man" was of huge importance, according to the coach.

"It makes a difference," Whisenhunt said of the fans. "You know what? They had an effect on the game, and to me, that's the most rewarding thing."

What the Cardinals (1-1) did exceptionally well Sunday was continue to establish a running game and stuff Seattle's rushing attack.

Edgerrin James rushed for 128 yards and a touchdown, and for the 10th consecutive time against an NFC West opponent, the defense didn't allow a 100-yard rusher as Alexander finished with 70 yards.

Whisenhunt was pleased with quarterback Matt Leinart's progress and with James, who leads the NFC with 220 rushing yards on 50 carries.

"A couple things about Edge is, Number 1, he's running very strong," Whisenhunt said. "He's getting a lot of yards after contact, which is very good for any back in the league. But the second thing is, his vision is very good. Edge is seeing things develop. He's hitting the right holes. He's showing very good patience in running."

Like Whisenhunt, James credited Sunday's crowd for breathing some extra life into the Cardinals, and he's eager to see the support continue to grow.

"When we go on the road, we get an earful of their fans, and it's only right that people can actually hear our fans," James said. "And as we win it's going to get even louder. A lot of people have kind of been misled in the past, and they don't want to come out yet. I've been through this before.

"When we first started in Indianapolis, they had went 3-13 in back-to-back years, so the fans weren't totally into it. Once we started rolling off those victories, then they said, 'OK, this is someone we can get behind and believe in.' We have to get it to where they believe in us and they're going to come in here and lose their voice and come in hoarse on Mondays."

Notes
Ravens coach Brian Billick said quarterback Steve McNair, who missed Sunday's game with a groin injury, will start against the Cardinals on Sunday in Baltimore. Defensive end Trevor Pryce, however, had surgery to repair a broken wrist and will miss three to four weeks.

• Whisenhunt is the first Cardinals head coach to win his home debut since Don Coryell on Sept. 23, 1973, against Washington.

• Neil Rackers' 42-yard field goal with one second left Sunday marked his first game-winning kick for the Cardinals. He had three game winners while with Cincinnati.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Credit well deserved to the 12th man!!!

Good job guysgals... I hope you heard me all the way from the northwest hoot'in n' hooler'in...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree one of the loudest games yet in our new stadium! Oh yeah and EDGE is a freakin stud RB, how nice is it to be running the ball!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly, there are going to be a TON of Steeler fans in a couple of weeks.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sadly, there are going to be a TON of Steeler fans in a couple of weeks.

I don't think that's a given. IF we make a good showing in B-more and get to 2-1 this fan base is going to start going nuts.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that the crowd was great. Loudest I had ever heard it before. But there is still room for MUCH improvement.

When The ball is actually being kicked off and the stadium literally was about 40% empty still that has to be somewhat disheartening. Hardly any noise during player introductions as well. I know its only minor but still a pet peeve! The players should see and here that support from the VERY beginning till the end.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that the crowd was great. Loudest I had ever heard it before. But there is still room for MUCH improvement.

When The ball is actually being kicked off and the stadium literally was about 40% empty still that has to be somewhat disheartening. Hardly any noise during player introductions as well. I know its only minor but still a pet peeve! The players should see and here that support from the VERY beginning till the end.

That is really bad

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is really bad
I was late getting to my seat...took longer to get through security & such than I had expected. There was a ton of us still stuck outside at kick-off :(

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I heard there was wreck on the 101 that slowed traffic considerably. It kept me from getting to the stadium until after kickoff. Not a happy camper.

The one week I decide not to tailgate! Never again...

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I don't know if those of you watching on TV caught this, but we played a joke on Linderbee at the game...

It was around the 6:30 mark in the third quarter. Everyone shut up for approximately 2 seconds. It was just long enough for Linder's voice to ring out through the stadium "MATT! I LOVE YOU!"

Boy, that cracked us all up.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Karma comes through--

where did the Seahawk fan go who was mocking the "12th" man prior to the game?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arriving late, sounds more like a SUNs crowd.

Arriving late happens more often for the 1:15 games than the 2:15 games.

We were in our seats immediately after kickoff, but I missed the anthem and introductions (Intros are one of my favorite parts of the game).

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We were in our seats immediately after kickoff, but I missed the anthem and introductions (Intros are one of my favorite parts of the game).

YOU SUCK! :mad:

I was looking for you too. REALLY!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YOU SUCK! :mad:

I was looking for you too. REALLY!

I know...I was pissed walking in and hearing the trumpet.

But now that you mention it, yeah...it was empty at kickoff. The 6 seats to the left of me were empty when I came in.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know...I was pissed walking in and hearing the trumpet.

But now that you mention it, yeah...it was empty at kickoff. The 6 seats to the left of me were empty when I came in.
It must be the 45 minute drive from the east valley.

:rolleyes:

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score

I was starting to wonder...my wife and I were the only ones in Row 5 at kickoff :biglaugh:

Mr Rogers

A victim of the paranoid
Reaction score
and for the 10th consecutive time against an NFC West opponent, the defense didn't allow a 100-yard rusher as Alexander finished with 70 yards.

Wow! I know we've done well lately against NFC West opponents as far as stopping the run but damn. We've shut down the likes of Frank Gore, Shawn Alexander, and Stephen Jackson for nearly two years.

Also glad to hear that there is finally a homefield advantage in AZ. Kudos to those that were there. Some day I'll have to make it to a Cards game in AZ.