Cardinals First Free Agent Visit

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fisher...Smoot...about the same. Smoot has more talent but Fisher is more consistant. Either way, we would still need two starters.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I would be very happy with Smoot and Holt.

That would give us three deep at CS and S.

Rolle
Smoot
Green

Wilson
Holt
Francisco

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
fisher is a average player who has made some plays. the only reason i would like this signing is because he is a division player.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Holt is a little overrated in my opinion due to his last name. He is neither the football talent or pure athlete that his brother is. I wouldn't miind us signing him but I can't believe that he would be a huge upgrade over Francisco. This would be a signing for depth and competition at best. He would not be a lock for the starting job.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He is as talented as Tate except Tate is a known backup this knuclehead was a starter.

Tate has been very productive and solid for us.

Dude, Robert Tate sucks. He was horrible last season when he did make it onto the field.

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
Bramdon Merriweather has moved into the middle 1st round, rated at the 22nd best player. No way he's dropping into the 3rd round.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bramdon Merriweather has moved into the middle 1st round, rated at the 22nd best player. No way he's dropping into the 3rd round.

Another NJ poster. Are you a Cards fan or just a visiting seahawk? Whichever, stating what you did, with such certainty, and no supporting evidence, ruins your credibility. If it's your opinion, they say that please.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree that Merriweather is projected late in the first or early in the second. He probably will not last until the third round.

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
I have been a Cardinal fan since 1960 and attend 3-4 games per year in Arizona and had previously attended every game that was played against the Giants and Eagles when we played them each year.

To get back to the question concerning Brandon Merriweather, I read and research several sources for the players in the draft that I believe fit the Cardinal's needs. The GBN Report, www.gbnreport.com, is an excellent source for current information and they have Merriweather rated as the 22nd best player in the draft, as does Fox Sports.

I look forward to contribute to the Azizona Sports Fans' site more often, since I am retired. I will look up the regulars on the site at the next regular home game that I attend and look forward to meeting you all either at the game or after the game.

I believe that the Cardinal Management Team will have an excellent Free Agent Program and an excellent Draft. I'm on the LeRon Landry bandwagon at the 5th spot. I'm not enthralled with Adams, Anderson or Branch. The addition of Fisher (who I hope can come back from injury and be the playmaker CB he was in 2004) or Hood, with Rolle, Green & Hunter; the addition of Landry would give the Cardinals an elite D-Backfield.

Skorpp, there are many Cardinal Fans, Passionate Cardinal Fans in NJ. Some day, I would like all the NJ Cardinal Fans get together for a preseason dinner or get together as we do for the Baseball Cardinal Fans.
I have been reading this site every day and enjoy all the commentary and up-to-date information. I thank you all and now that I am not traveling all over the globe, I will partcipate as much as I can. Thank you all.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I believe that the Cardinal Management Team will have an excellent Free Agent Program and an excellent Draft. I'm on the LeRon Landry bandwagon at the 5th spot. I'm not enthralled with Adams, Anderson or Branch. The addition of Fisher (who I hope can come back from injury and be the playmaker CB he was in 2004) or Hood, with Rolle, Green & Hunter; the addition of Landry would give the Cardinals an elite D-Backfield.

We hope to hear more from you, Stins.

But I have to say that it's not often that a player comes back from injury to be as good as he was three years prior. And even then, it's a real stretch to say that Travis Fisher was a "playmaker". Champ Bailey is a playmaker. Ed Reed is a playmaker. DeAngelo Hall is a playmaker. Dre' Bly is a playmaker. Travis Fisher is an injury case.

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
Kerouac9,

A few statistics, 2003 before Fisher was hurt he had 4 interceptions & 2 TDs, 22 passes defended

In 2005, Halls best year had 6 intercections & 1 TD, 10 passes defended. maybe not many passes coming to his side of the field.

In 2006, Dre' Bly had 2 interceptions, 0 TDs, 18 passes defended.

As I said, if Fisher can come back to his past without injury, he could be an inexpensive alternative, even if he is our nickel back. He could become an excellent #2 CB. I believe that he (if not injured) is superior to Dre'Bly.
Halls is definitely one of the best but as we all know, stats don't always tell us the true story.

I believe that with the addition of a top-notch free safety, we coud have an excellent defensive backfield. We need to draft Landry, Nelson, Merriweather, or Griffin. The best attribute that Merriweather has is he can play CB. He probably is the best CB in the draft along with Revis and Ross. I also would love to get Eric Wright. I put him in the elite 2-3 cornerbacks in the draft.

Depending on the free agant signings, I believe that this draft is loaded with excellent DBs, so we should take advantage this year. What do you guys think.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have been a Cardinal fan since 1960 and attend 3-4 games per year in Arizona and had previously attended every game that was played against the Giants and Eagles when we played them each year.

I have been a fan since 1959 and a Cardinal baseball fan since 1952 when we escaped the NY Metro area. If you have been a fan since 1960 you must clearly remember Sam "the rifle" Etcheverry's first NFL game against the Giants. Welcome. Look forward to many fine posts from you. As you will see there are outstanding posters from NJ. I won't spoil it for them to introduce themselves to you, but they are a very class group. Hey, how about letting me know when your Cardinal baseball dinner is, I would fly in from Chicago for it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Another NJ poster. Are you a Cards fan or just a visiting seahawk? Whichever, stating what you did, with such certainty, and no supporting evidence, ruins your credibility. If it's your opinion, they say that please.

uh skorp . . .

(a) what does NJ have to do with ANYTHING?

(b) how does NJ tie the poster to the SEAHAWKS of all teams???

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerouac9,

A few statistics, 2003 before Fisher was hurt he had 4 interceptions & 2 TDs, 22 passes defended

In 2005, Halls best year had 6 intercections & 1 TD, 10 passes defended. maybe not many passes coming to his side of the field.

As I said, if Fisher can come back to his past without injury, he could be an inexpensive alternative, even if he is our nickel back. He could become an excellent #2 CB. I believe that he (if not injured) is superior to Dre'Bly.
Halls is definitely one of the best but as we all know, stats don't always tell us the true story.

I believe that with the addition of a top-notch free safety, we coud have an excellent defensive backfield. We need to draft Landry, Nelson, Merriweather, or Griffin. The best attribute that Merriweather has is he can play CB. He probably is the best CB in the draft along with Revis and Ross. I also would love to get Eric Wright. I put him in the elite 2-3 cornerbacks in the draft.

Depending on the free agant signings, I believe that this draft is loaded with excellent DBs, so we should take advantage this year. What do you guys think.

Stins, welcome to the board. Seems like you know your Cardinals.:thumbup:

You are one of the very few posters on this board who have been a Cardinals fan longer than myself (since 1962). I'm from the St. Louis area originally, but I have been living in the Phoenix area since 1982. When the Cardinals realized their biggest fan had moved to Arizona, they followed him out here.:D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kerouac9,

Defensive backs are only as good as the pass rush in front of them. I wonder if that 2003 season had anything to do with the fact that that was the season before the Rams' defensive line was dismantled and Lovie Smith went to go coach the Bears? Aeneas Williams had 4 INTs that season. According to Stats, Inc., Fisher only had 11 passes defensed in that season. If he actually had had 22, it would have really spoken to how afraid opposing quarterbacks were of this "playmaker".

In the three seasons since 2003, Travis Fisher has accumulated 9 passes defensed and 1 INT. There's no reason to believe that he can return to his pre-injury form.

And there's no question that, healthy or not, Travis Fisher is not better than Dre Bly. In Bly's 8 pro seasons, he's averaged over 4 INTs and 14 passes defensed. To go along with that, the aggressive Bly has racked up 7 forced fumbles in the past two seasons, and has 17 of them in his career.

People can recover from an injury, but Fisher's never gone an entire season without missing action. There's no heyday for him to return to. Do I think that he can be a decent backup cornerback? Probably. Do I think that his agent is pushing three-year-old statistics like you are to get him an inflated deal? Absolutely.

I'd rather have Macklin back then overspend on Fisher. My main point, though, is that he's never been a playmaker. If you want to check that stat, count how many Pro Bowls my guys have been to.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Stins, welcome to the board!

2. Ouchie, I've been reading so many threads, I get them mixed up. And, if you don't start using caps on this board, I'm going to ban your ass until you do. Everybody else makes the effort to write in English. You can too.

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
Kerouac9, I'm not trying to promote any one player such as Travis Fisher, but there is so much negativity to what the team is trying to do, I was trying to give a positive face to their activities. I would prefer to have the free agency program concentrate on all the the positions except the defensive backfield. The draft, especially the top of the draft, is full of superb talent. I would like to use our first few picks on DBs. I just can not see much talent on the offensive lineman, I would rather sign a couple of free agents to compete for the starting positions. The negativity I mentioned started as soon as Jordon Black's name came up as a possible free agent signing. He's young, improviving, only 26 and with the tutelage of Russ Grimm, he can be a viable option for the starting left tackle position.

Everyone on this board is enthralled by having Russ Grimm as our Offensive Line Coach, so lets give him the chance he's looking for, to coach-up some youg and up-coming linemen. Russ must see something positive inthis kid if they want to sign him. But we get comments that like "Black Sucks". Lets give the new system some time, the Cards are not that far away from competing for the West Division Crown.

Skkorp, thanks for the welcome, it's appreciated. I believe that the team is finally headed in the right direction. I have bee sufferin for 47 years with a few exceptions. Thanks a bunch.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stins welcome! Your comments are great you are going to be a source for good info on this board. Us northeastern Cards fans have to stick together!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, Stins, welcome aboard. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I'm certain that a defensive back is only as good as the pass rush in front of him, and it wouldn't matter if we had Champ Bailey and Sean Taylor patrolling the defensive backfield with Adrian Wilson and Antrel Rolle, and it wouldn't matter if we put the same pass rush out that we did last season.

I think you're underrating the talent that we have in our secondary right now. There's no question that Richard Solomon was an anchor to our personnel. Adding a Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson to the front four this offseason would be much more effective than adding an overrated LeRon Landry or Reggie Nelson at #5 overall.

For what it's worth, I'm not all that impressed with the addition of Russ Grimm as the O-line coach, and I'm not going to be as quick to sing the same praises that we sung with our last 3 O-line coaches. If you hadn't noticed, the Steelers have 2 first-round picks, a high second-round pick, and a third round pick starting on their offensive line. Who, exactly has Russ Grimm been "coaching up"? High draft picks?

People are saying that Jordan Black sucks because he does, indeed, suck. That's not negativity; it's seeing things for how they are.