Cardinals Run The Ball!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cardinals Run The Ball!
Ron Wolfley
Cardinals Analyst
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I thought the headline would make you read this story and if you stick with me you’ll see the Cardinals running-game against the 49ers was much better than most people are giving them credit for.

Some will call me Pollyanna; but based on hard-core evidence from the NFL Game Summary the Cardinals victory over the 49ers on Sunday was no pipe-dream.

Any good analysis will include the context of the information provided. Mike Nolan’s 3-4 defense of 2005 gave up more yards, by far, than any other team in the National Football League (391-yards/game) and only two teams gave up more first-downs than San Francisco’s defense. It was the 49ers pass-defense that was awful, yielding almost 280-yards/game through the air. The savaging of the 49ers secondary kept drives alive, moved the chains and exposed the defense to a ton of offensive plays. Yet the 49ers run-defense only allowed 3.8-yards/carry against them in 2005, good for #11 in the league. Teams that allowed 3.7-yards/carry included respected defenses such as Miami, Chicago and Baltimore. Even the heralded rush-defense of the Jacksonville Jaguars finished behind the 49ers, allowing 3.9-yards/carry.

The abomination that was the 49ers defense in 2005 never included their run-defense.

Edgerrin James came into this game with 7-carries as an Arizona Cardinal. His limited exposure to his offensive-line in game situations made The Edge look more like The Ex, as in exhibition. Taking this into consideration against the 49ers, it doesn’t surprise me the Cardinals struggled to run the ball effectively early in the game. For all intents and purposes, The Edge was taking the offensive-line for a Sunday-drive, a test-drive.

The line on James has people hurling themselves over The Edge: 26-attempts, 73-yards, 2.8-yards/carry, a long of 10-yards and 1-TD. Yet, a closer look at what transpired on Sunday against a decent rush-defense reveals the malaise affecting the Cardinals running-game wasn’t nearly as acute as many fans think.

James’s first 8-carries netted him a grand total of 4-yards. A rushing performance that had many waving their arms, picking scabs and proclaiming the end of all goodness could be found in the ruddy hands of the offensive-line. But then, starting with the Cardinals fifth-possession of the game, something started to happen, something good oozed from the sweating brows of the Butt-Guts and it smelled like prosperity. James’s next 17-carries totaled 67-yards or 3.94-yards/attempt. Starting at the 10:25 mark of the 2nd quarter, the Cardinals began to rush the football, effectively! Moreover, the Cardinals ran the ball effectively in run-down situations (1st & 10, 2nd & 1-6). In these down-and-distances, James had 15-carries for 53-yards – averaging 3.5-yards/attempt.

If James would have had these kinds of numbers in the first-quarter, he would have finished with 26-carries for 102-yards and a touchdown. These are solid numbers for any NFL running-back and don’t include the 2-carries for 24 yards James had nullified due to penalties – his two-longest runs of the day.

This is progress.

But any good running-game is not just about numbers, yards/attempt and down-and-distances. It’s also about where you run the football effectively and when running the football wins games. And this was the most encouraging development of Sunday’s victory, where the Cardinals effectively ran the football when they needed it most.

On the Cardinals second-possession of the game, after Gerald Hayes returned a fumble to the 49ers 5-yardline, the Big Red did something they could have only dreamed of in 2005: lined up and ran three punishing plays and pounded the football into the 49ers end-zone. Three consecutive trips on The Edge and the Cardinals took a lead they would never relinquish.

This message was not lost on the 49ers. The Cardinals were 4-of-6 in touchdown conversions in the red-zone (67%) and 4-of-4 in goal-to-go situations. The Cardinals established they could pound-the-pig into the end zone and this allowed the passing attack of the best skill in the National Football League to score at a rate they were incapable of a year ago. It became very apparent to me, sitting in the booth, the Redbirds had proved something to the 49ers and the result was like watching the video, When Receivers Attack.

But this possession was only a foreshadowing of what was to come. The best evidence the Cardinals could provide that their running-game on Sunday wasn’t as awful as people were saying came in the fourth-quarter, when the game was still in doubt. With almost 9-minutes to go in the game the Cardinals ripped off the kind of drive needed to win football games in the NFL. Clinging to a 7-point lead the Big Red started a 13-play drive on their own 20-yardline that ended in a field-goal, pushing their lead to ten. That drive took over 7-minutes off the game clock and set up the end-game inside the two-minute warning. More specifically, of the 13-plays the Cardinals ran from scrimmage eight of them were running plays – including an 11-yard run from James to the 49ers 1-yardline that was called back because of a holding call.

Take this time consuming drive away from the Cardinals effort on Sunday and the game may have ended differently. Although the Cardinals didn’t convert third-downs rushing the football, they accomplished their objective. They were able to run the ball enough, in a 1-possession game, to move the chains, eat-up time and score points.

When you analyze the facts of what occurred on Sunday and look a little deeper into the numbers, there is evidence of an improved running-game. Do the Arizona Cardinals need to run the football better? Yes. But from where I was sitting the running-game showed signs of life I haven’t seen here in quite some time.

If the Cardinals can find some continuity on the offensive-line, starting the same five with reasonable expectations, they have the ability to light-up the scoreboard and keep opposing defenses busier than Paul Calvisi’s barber. Where the Cardinals need to improve offensively is obvious, but when this improvement helps you win games, as it did last Sunday, the smoke from Pollyanna’s pipe smells oh so sweet.
[/FONT]

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1166[/FONT]

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice read. I semi said that myself before the game SF's run defense isn't bad at all it's their pass defense that's awful.

I really hope he's right about what this bodes for the future if we can run the ball

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I thought James did all that he could and more with what little holes the oline got open from him to run through hopefully it will get even better this upcoming sunday :) he also made some very nice runs when he had nothing to work with.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I rewatched the game last night I was not as worried about our running game. I still think it has a long ways to go but I definitely saw improvements over last year. Especially later in the game.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Maybe it is his style -- but I thought Edge looked a little "heavy legged" in certain situations --

there were a couple runs where he broke contain and I thought he was ready to bust a 20 yarder -- but then was promptly caught from behind / the side.

Just didnt have that burst of quickness I am used to seeing from him.

Am I imagining things?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
they have the ability to light-up the scoreboard and keep opposing defenses busier than Paul Calvisi’s barber.
:biglaugh:

Nice analysis... I'm already feeling better... :)

Tim

Reaction score
I remember thinking the same thing. After a certain point it seemed like they were able to run the ball semi-effectively. A number of good runs were negated by penalties that were unimportant to the succes of the play. Better discipline mentally would have lead to us singing the praises of a 100 yard performance. I hope that Green is not tolerating these kinds of mistakes anymore.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
En Fuego-

that has kinda been the knock on James since his knee surgery. He has put on weight and lost some of his explosivness which has led to him being caught from behind more often than not. What he can do now, which he wasn't as good at before the surgery, is push the pile and move the chains. This is why Edge works for us and maybe not as well for other teams.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Maybe it is his style -- but I thought Edge looked a little "heavy legged" in certain situations --

there were a couple runs where he broke contain and I thought he was ready to bust a 20 yarder -- but then was promptly caught from behind / the side.

Am I imagining things?

I don't think so at all. He constantly kept his feet churning and would get extra yards because of it. This is something we have never seen from a RB in Arizona.

football karma

Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:
En Fuego-

that has kinda been the knock on James since his knee surgery. He has put on weight and lost some of his explosivness which has led to him being caught from behind more often than not. What he can do now, which he wasn't as good at before the surgery, is push the pile and move the chains. This is why Edge works for us and maybe not as well for other teams.

I dont expect Clinton Portis from him -- and I saw the power running that in many cases got him an extra two yards at the end of a run --

its just that even last year at Indy, he had (like many top running backs) a little burst of speed that can get him out into the clear -- I just didnt see that on Sunday

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only guy that doesn't like Wolfley? His "catch phrases" bug the everloving stuff out of me, and although I dig his enthusiasm I can't stand listening to his voice...and does he have to write the way he talks? Sounds very "special."

I probably am in the vast minority here.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Am I the only guy that doesn't like Wolfley? His "catch phrases" bug the everloving stuff out of me, and although I dig his enthusiasm I can't stand listening to his voice...and does he have to write the way he talks? Sounds very "special."

Booooo!!! Hssssssssssss!!!!

:D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
en fuego said:

Am I imagining things?

One thing I think the Cards Oline has trouble with is sealing off the backside of running plays allowing our RB's to get caught from behind. NFL defenders appear to abandon containment and chase plays much more aggresively than high school or college defenders who tend to stay home and contain.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:

Am I imagining things?

I saw a few runs where he just stopped midrun like he was surprised that he didn't have as much room as he expected, but he seemed to adjust 2nd half.

That's why Marshawn Lynch has always reminded me of Edge, he'll do the same thing he'll stop and you're thinking what an idiot, and then in 2 steps he's at full speed running around or over the guy that he stopped for.

Reaction score
Here's the key point to Wolfley's article:

With almost 9-minutes to go in the game the Cardinals ripped off the kind of drive needed to win football games in the NFL. Clinging to a 7-point lead the Big Red started a 13-play drive on their own 20-yardline that ended in a field-goal, pushing their lead to ten. That drive took over 7-minutes off the game clock and set up the end-game inside the two-minute warning. More specifically, of the 13-plays the Cardinals ran from scrimmage eight of them were running plays – including an 11-yard run from James to the 49ers 1-yardline that was called back because of a holding call.

Take this time consuming drive away from the Cardinals effort on Sunday and the game may have ended differently.
Cards don't conduct a time-consuming, run-focused drive at that point in the game and we would still be bitching about the Cards losing to the 49er's...

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

I'm not too thrilled with the guy, I guess when you compare Wolfey to the other half-******** announcers the Cards have, he seems a little better then he is.

But I love this article, James did not break 100, but he got the yards when he needed them, the 49ers were also stacking against the run, instead of playing pass. Watching this team run it 3 times in a row on a Goal line and punching it in there, made me feel alot more comfortable about this season. Cards can actually punch in at the Goal Line, on James talent alone

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Wolfley because he's enthusiastic, he knows football, and he tries to put things in "laymens terms" so the average viewer gets what he's saying. He's probably biased but big surprise, he did play for the Cardinals and he is paid by them so why wouldn't he be biased?

I also like him because I saw him play and I always thought he was underappreciated, pro bowl special teamer who when he got the chance to play virtually always Stump Mitchell went over a 100 yards. Wolfley was like having another lineman in the game, which made sense his brother Craig was a great lineman for Pittsburgh for years.

Nobody is liked by everyone of course but if I could get reception downstairs on my sirius radio I'd listen to them every week and just turn the sound down. I can't so I listen to Wolfley and Pasch when there's no tv, and listen to the tv clowns downstairs when it's on tv.

football karma

Reaction score
He is soooooooooooo much better than John Mistler--

I am so happy to have Wolf, I overlook his shortcomings

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
en fuego said:

I like Wolk and I think part of his charm comes from his colorful personality.

I've also said this before, his voice (and to a certain extent look) remind me of the short-lived live action "Tick" TV show's main character The Tick.
That makes me even more partial to him.

Go Wolfey!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
en fuego said:

That's exactly what I am talking about...

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I love reading Wolfley. You can feel his enthusiasm for the team through his writing. IMO, it beats the snot out of the Harvard elitist writings you tend to get from the national press.

And yes, I know that he is over the top homeristic, but as mentioned by others, he has both played and continues to be paid by the team. I would expect nothing else. Other teams have cheerings sections doing their broadcasts as well.

Go Cards!!!