Cardinals Sign WR Newhouse, Release DB's Carter and Mayes

Jim O

Reaction score
Cardinals Sign WR Reggie Newhouse, Release Carter and Mayes
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, November 1, 2005

You must be registered for see images

WR Reggie Newhouse

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced that the team has re-signed wide receiver Reggie Newhouse to a one-year contract and released cornerback Dyshod Carter. In addition, the team has released safety Adrian Mayes from injured reserve.

Newhouse (6-1, 211), who was released on September 3 in the team’s final roster cut, played in three games last season for the Cardinals and recorded one reception for five yards as a reserve receiver. He spilt time between the active roster and the practice squad during the 2004 season.

Newhouse originally entered the league with the Cardinals in 2003 as a rookie free agent out of Baylor. He was released during training camp in his rookie season and was re-signed to the practice squad for the final five weeks of the season on November 26, 2003.

Carter was signed on October 12 and appeared in two games recording two tackles on special teams. Mayes was placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury on October 12.

Newhouse will wear jersey #18.

- www.azcardinals.com -

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
??? Mayes played well when healthy...

Is it me or do we release players on IR more than anyone else in the NFL? Newhouse is not going to do much for us...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
These cuts have Greens Ego written all over them. ;)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making room for Lenny Walls?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
??? Mayes played well when healthy...

Care to elborate as to why you think he played well. He has 3 special teams tackles in 7 games spending time on the IR with no long term contract keeping him here after the season when he does come off of IR. Whats the point in keeping him.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Making room for Lenny Walls?

We would have to cut someone else.

Carter made room for Newhouse. Mayes was just let go off of IR.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
We would have to cut someone else.

Carter made room for Newhouse. Mayes was just let go off of IR.

Got me, I was thinking Newhouse replaced Lee but that was last week's ego driven cut. :D

Any day now we're going to sign Keith Poole, I just feel it.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Care to elborate as to why you think he played well. He has 3 special teams tackles in 7 games spending time on the IR with no long term contract keeping him here after the season when he does come off of IR. Whats the point in keeping him.
I thought he filled his back up role well in spot duty and made some bone jarring hits on opossing offenses.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
I thought he filled his back up role well in spot duty and made some bone jarring hits on opossing offenses.
I agree. He wasn't a bad backup safety. Seems like a strange cut to me.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I agree. He wasn't a bad backup safety.

He was on IR and was never going to play for us anyways.

Again what did he do as a backup safety for people to say this. And no preseason doesnt count. Making a big hit in one play doesnt make for a good backup safety. When did he every even see the field as a safety in a real game, and if he did he has zero credited stats to his name. Not a big loss at all. Is this Justin Lucas syndrome all over again.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
fety for people to say this. And no preseason doesnt count.
Why doesn't pre-season count if that's the only evaluation we have to go on?

I'll turn it around on you. What makes you so sure he wasn't any good? And no, pre-season doesn't count.

He looked like a decent backup player, to me. Starter? Probably not, but we can't fill our roster with starters; heck, most seasons we can't even fill our starting spots with starters.

cdex99

Registered
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Why release Mayes, I wonder?

Who would be his replacement? Shazor? I know he's still on the PS, but we're already thin at DB. Who else is there?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cdex99 said:
Who would be his replacement? Shazor? I know he's still on the PS, but we're already thin at DB. Who else is there?
Well, we really don't need a replacement for this year. He was on IR, so they reached an injury settlement (I assume).

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'll turn it around on you. What makes you so sure he wasn't any good?

Becuase he never played any good in a real game. Yeah I know becuase he never actually played, but then how can someone who has never really played in a real game look like he "played well".

But he played well in preseason right. Well preseason has a habit of making hero's out of no names who will be looking for a job outside of football in a few months. See every third stringer who Cards fans fall in love with only to be never heard from again. Real game situations is what I am looking for and what really counts.

Devils advocate for my my arguement lets bring up his preseason stuff -

As for Mayes preseason evaluation it is highly debateable in the first place. If ZERO tackles and ZERO everything else in three of the preseason games and 4 tackles and ZERO everything else in one preseason game means he "played well", then our expectations as Cards Fans really are pretty low. Heck I will even go further and use his playing in the NFLE this past offseason were he actually did play was a starter, I watched all the games, even gave reports on them, and he didnt look any good their either, heck even the 95% of the ones who did look good from the NFLE dont turn out to be much.

Cutting a guy who was on IR, no contract after this year and was nothing but a special teamer he wasnt a DB here and wasnt even one in college, is it really a big deal?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Well, we really don't need a replacement for this year. He was on IR, so they reached an injury settlement (I assume).

Anyone cut from the IR gets a negotiated injury settlement.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Anyone cut from the IR gets a negotiated injury settlement.

Not only that, they become a free agent and can sign with another team and play THIS year. Remember, this is what the Cards did with Dexter Jackson last season. (I don't think we could resign Mayes until the start of free agency, but I could be wrong.)

It's probably just Mayes saying, "I really want to play this year, can you please release me?" We'll see if he gets picked up or not.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When looking at the number of special teams tackles don't forget that there are only handful of special teams plays a game where a tackle is made.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I'm glad to see Newhouse back. He never should have been cut in the first place.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05