Cards 18 Falcons 29: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
ascared

yep can't be ascared to play Lindley, Logan is not ready. may never be. I still have faith in Stanton, but not without a run game.

Lets see what Bush can do, with Ellington- Sure wished we would have kept Sherman since were playing Hughes as a FB.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't get is that Stanton played pretty well in the 3 games earlier this season and won 2 of them.
You would have to think that they have tape on him and the DC's game plan for him.

But he is regressing every week and not improving. He is still starring down his receivers, weak throws, off line throws and does not look comfortable out there. After his first read he has no clue where any other WR is on that play. So hard to do but it has to do with learning the play book.

Bad comparison but remember how Warner could look off 2 or 3 guys and then throw to an area before the WR was even there? Amazing.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You would have to think that they have tape on him and the DC's game plan for him.

But he is regressing every week and not improving. He is still starring down his receivers, weak throws, off line throws and does not look comfortable out there. After his first read he has no clue where any other WR is on that play. So hard to do but it has to do with learning the play book.

Bad comparison but remember how Warner could look off 2 or 3 guys and then throw to an area before the WR was even there? Amazing.

Totally agree about the regression. For good QBs the game is slow. For Stanton, it's warp speed right now and he clearly can't keep up. This isn't about giving up on him or anything else it's simply about the last 2 games. He looks rattled, you're right he stares down receivers it's like he is a one trick pony who's only option was the deep ball and if that's not there he doesn't know what to do. I have no idea if that's something he can grow out of in the next week, Were not close Drew and I, lol, but I have doubts.. I do think that momentum builds and that if he can get home and get some throws under his belt, HOPEFULLY he will settle down and we can go from there. He is clearly better at home than on the road ie. Denver, Seattle, Atl and he wasn't great in his other road games either.

I do want to put a small asterisk on this concerning the WRs. Larry being out has clearly, I mean clearly ripped the heart out of this offense, but here's the thing, anytime a backup QB or a hall of fame QB is in; he has to get some help. WRs have to make them look good by making some plays (ie John Browns spectacular catches earlier in the year), bailing them out of some of the bad throws, and not make mistakes, and right now, none of that is happening. Floyd sucks and even when he doesn't suck he instantly remembers that he does suck and goes back to sucking. John brown is doing nothing and the other Brown is not doing drew any favors at all. Some throws are high, if the WR makes a big play the QB is awesome and If they don't all we see is a bad throw.

So I'm not blaming it all on Stanton, but he's not playing well either. Obviously.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
yep can't be ascared to play Lindley, Logan is not ready. may never be. I still have faith in Stanton, but not without a run game.

Lets see what Bush can do, with Ellington- Sure wished we would have kept Sherman since were playing Hughes as a FB.

THESMEL, you do realize that ascared is not a word. It scared, not ascared.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do want to put a small asterisk on this concerning the WRs. Larry being out has clearly, I mean clearly ripped the heart out of this offense, but here's the thing, anytime a backup QB or a hall of fame QB is in; he has to get some help.

I said that last week that he adds another dynamic to the game even if he isn't catching 10 balls a game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
"Next man up" eventually runs out on a limited NFL roster. That is what we saw today.

Why no running game? Ellington is hurt. Grice was a practice squad player. Offensive guards are ok at best. Passing game does not scare anyone.

Why is Stanton struggling? He is not accurate which hurts his ability to get into a rhythm which puts pressure on the defense. Stanton is impatient which is hurting him. Teams are taking away deep ball plays and forcing him to dink and dunk down the field. Eventually in drives his issues catch up and cause problems. He needs more help from a running game which doesn't have much left to offer.

Passing game struggles because we have young WRs (Brown & Brown), and overrated WRs (Floyd). Also, our TEs are only slightly better at catching as they are blocking...which isn't saying much.

All of the offensive issues put pressure on the defense to make plays. The defense panics, tries to do tou muc, and gets out of position.

Finally, http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/putting-a-bow-on-some-topics-214835.html

5-Bruce Arians has been developing gameplans, and calling plays longer than some folks on this board have been alive. His playcalls are solid, he rarely makes mistakes, and a lack of execution is not his fault. He isn't perfect, but no one is. Calling out his playcalling is stupid.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You nailed it NJ, watching this team struggle to score points against a putrid defense with their starting corners out was absolutely pathetic. Defense and offense both laid an egg out there.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sorry but that simply wrong. Stanton knows the plays and the play book. His execution leaves a lot to be desired recently but he knows where all his receivers are suppose to be.

Yep, Warner was amazing. Part of his strength was reading what the D was going to do pre snap and had a lightening quick release and was accurate. Stanton is not accurate which led to two picks yesterday.