Cards drag feet on funding

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Just $50K so far for Tillman group

Dan Bickley
Chin Music
Oct. 3, 2004 12:00 AM

The Cardinals have just donated $50,000 to the Pat Tillman Foundation. If that seems a bit cheap, Michael Bidwill promises more is on the way.

By my count, the next check should be for $3,550,000.

That would add up to $3.6 million, the value of the NFL contract Tillman walked away from when he became an Army Ranger.

If the Cardinals need a reminder, that's when Tillman decided to defend our freedom so wealthy football owners and their sons can continue to deposit $80 million in league checks every year.

"The $50,000 is not all we're going to do," said Bidwill, the team's vice president. "This was a good-faith donation to help with some of the administrative and start-up costs. We're going to sit back down with (the foundation) and see what else we can do. We've been developing some ideas we can work on."

The Cardinals' donation comes in payments of $25,000 in each of the next two years. It also comes at a time when some were wondering if the team was ever going to make a signature donation to help launch the foundation.

Clearly, the Cardinals have benefited greatly from the residual glow of Tillman. They have claimed a true American hero as their own, and as brand names go, how valuable do you think Tillman happens to be?

His spiritual presence at the new stadium will give the place a sense of dignity, honor and history. They will forever benefit from his legacy.

Of course, the Cardinals won't go so far as to name their new stadium after Tillman (i.e., Ranger Field). He'll get an adjoining plaza, which means the team can horde the lucrative naming rights.

Which is why their final donation will be the litmus test, the gauge of how grateful they really are for Tillman's services, on and away from the field.

"The Cardinals have been very generous," said Alex Garwood, Tillman's brother-in-law who is running the foundation. "They were extremely helpful with the beautiful memorial service in San Jose and the service in Arizona. They're doing the Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza at the new stadium, they've retired his jersey, they've helped with jersey sales, and they're continuing to wear No. 40 decals on their helmets."

Still, the younger Bidwill likes to publicly refer to himself a close friend of the fallen soldier.

It's time to put the money where the microphone is.

And another thing

Meanwhile, Jake Plummer (below left) has met the real NFL, a cold-blooded cartel swaddled in the American flag. The league threatened to fine Plummer at escalating levels if he continued to wear a No. 40 decal on his helmet, which he did in last week's game at San Diego.

What you didn't know:

Anticipating that he would need some extra decals for the season, Plummer had made prior arrangements to obtain four of them from a well-placed source in Tempe. They were delivered inconspicuously when the two teams met in the preseason, just in case Plummer would need extras in the coming weeks.

Yet sensing the league's steely resolve, Plummer ended his personal battle, opting to send potential fine money to Tillman's foundation instead.

Limiting the tribute to Arizona players is yet another asinine stance by the league, seeing that many of the people that really knew Tillman, really got Tillman, are now playing in other cities.

The nice item

In effort to raise real money for Tillman's foundation, Plummer and former Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis are spearheading a new campaign to solicit donations from within the league.

Plummer, a quarterback for the Broncos, will oversee all NFL players. McGinnis, an assistant coach in Tennessee, will oversee all NFL coaches. The plan is to appoint members in every city to serve as pledge team captains - such as Larry Marmie in St. Louis, Derek Smith in San Francisco, Grey Ruegamer in Green Bay - and they will be responsible for working each of the league's locker rooms.

Betcha it puts the Cardinals' $50,000 to shame.

"Anything that has anything to do with Pat Tillman and the people involved with him, I am in the boat with every oar you can give me," McGinnis said. "Any hour of the day, you call me, I'm there. How else could you be?"

Finally

Coming soon, Arizona State will begin selling its own Tillman jerseys. They will be maroon with gold trim and lettering and feature the No. 42 that Tillman wore in college.

The Cardinals sold an estimated 1,000 replicas of his NFL jersey (No. 40) during the tribute game against the Patriots. By arrangement with the NFL, all of the profits go to Tillman's foundation, as will the profits from the sale of the ASU jerseys.

Reach Bickley at [email protected] or (602) 444-8253. Listen to him from 6-9 a.m. weekdays on XTRA 910.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/articles/1003chinmusic1003.html

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"The Cardinals have been very generous," said Alex Garwood, Tillman's brother-in-law who is running the foundation. "They were extremely helpful with the beautiful memorial service in San Jose and the service in Arizona. They're doing the Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza at the new stadium, they've retired his jersey, they've helped with jersey sales, and they're continuing to wear No. 40 decals on their helmets."

What's Bickely's point?

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Doesn't have much of one. Suggesting the Cards should donate a figure equal to what they had offered Tillman is a joke. Why put a $$ figure on it? They've done a good job of honoring Tillman. This article was weak. Real weak.

pinnacle

Reaction score
So...has anyone else donated more than $50,000? If I am not mistaken - the Rams made a decent offer to tillman prior to his last NFL season..what was it for? it was a very good offer...multi millions of $$.. Using bickley logic - the rams should also donate. So should the seahawks - they were the team that was trying to get tillman to return this season (2004) - I think tillman would have had an exit option (or something) based on his tours of duty (at some point in 2004 - so the story goes) -and seahawks were all over it (my memory is a little fuzzy on this). They should also donate a few million $$ - using bickley logic.

So..he is critizing the one person/entity (overall - forgetting the NFL teams for a moment) that is probably one of the largest donors to the foundation....what a joke.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
pinnacle said:
So...has anyone else donated more than $50,000? If I am not mistaken - the Rams made a decent offer to tillman prior to his last NFL season..what was it for? it was a very good offer...multi millions of $$.. Using bickley logic - the rams should also donate. So should the seahawks - they were the team that was trying to get tillman to return this season (2004) - I think tillman would have had an exit option (or something) based on his tours of duty (at some point in 2004 - so the story goes) -and seahawks were all over it (my memory is a little fuzzy on this). They should also donate a few million $$ - using bickley logic.

So..he is critizing the one person/entity (overall - forgetting the NFL teams for a moment) that is probably one of the largest donors to the foundation....what a joke.

I believe it was 3 years 6.1 million or thearabouts.

This article is trash.

Reaction score
My email to Bickley

One Question

Re: Cards drag feet on funding

How much have you donated to the Tillman foundation???

Your article is a disgrace!

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote Bickley an email on this trashy little swipe at the Cards. What burns me about what I see in this column and his other, where he said the Cards should lift the blackout, is the free pass he gives to the pathetic Phoenix sports market, that allowed that ceremony to be held before a stadium that was 25% empty. The fact the valley couldn't sell that thing out, to honor a national hero is unforgivable. And then here's Bickley, catering to these stay at home, do nothing slobs, by villifying the Bidwills. Bickley doesn't have to guts to call out the real villians in this deal. How much money do you think these anti-Cardinals scumsuckers are donating to the Pat Tillman Foundation?

The fact these slobs couldn't sell out this game combined with the nerve of anyone to argue for lifting the blackout, represents the absolute worst in the history of Phoenix sports. The ceremony itself was beautiful and those that went got to witness something great. But those empty bleachers stand as accusation to a lot of worthless, lazy, cheap slobs in our community. Bickley's columns seem to serve it right up to this crowd every time.

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
RedViper...I feel your anger and I agree with you. My wife and I come over from Albuquerque once or twice a year for games...just like you guys we have to put up with a half empty stadium that has half of its attendence with the opposing teams fans.

I know I'm a die hard fan and I come over because I want to see my team, but these lazy yahoos wouldn't spend a penny to help further Pat Tillmans memory or to help build a sense of civic pride in a winning team.

They probably can't make the connection that people like me $pend money at golf cour$es, re$ort$, rental car$, etc

Screw 'em... I hope they never become bandwagon fans either because I don't want to see them at the games anyway.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
MrY said:
RedViper...I feel your anger and I agree with you. My wife and I come over from Albuquerque once or twice a year for games...just like you guys we have to put up with a half empty stadium that has half of its attendence with the opposing teams fans.

I know I'm a die hard fan and I come over because I want to see my team, but these lazy yahoos wouldn't spend a penny to help further Pat Tillmans memory or to help build a sense of civic pride in a winning team.

They probably can't make the connection that people like me $pend money at golf cour$es, re$ort$, rental car$, etc

Screw 'em... I hope they never become bandwagon fans either because I don't want to see them at the games anyway.

Thats pretty awesome you come out all the way from Albuquerque. I drive down from Flagstaff but it only takes a couple hours.

I have such mixed feeling about the valley as a result of the Cards. I love all the people that show up and back that team through thick and thin. But I am embarrassed and ashamed we can't do any better than fill that place up with 20 thousand fans. And the Tillman ceremony was the capper. If it wasn't for the Patriots in town, I don't think we'd have had 40 thousand. But then, that represents the number that came to watch when he was alive so maybe its appropriate. Since I think he would have hated hypocrites. Still, I think Bickley is off in the trees to go after the Bids on this thing. The let down, for Pat Tillman lies squarely with the sports watching valley. Way way too many losers among us.

Last edited:

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedViper said:
I wrote Bickley an email on this trashy little swipe at the Cards. What burns me about what I see in this column and his other, where he said the Cards should lift the blackout, is the free pass he gives to the pathetic Phoenix sports market, that allowed that ceremony to be held before a stadium that was 25% empty. The fact the valley couldn't sell that thing out, to honor a national hero is unforgivable. And then here's Bickley, catering to these stay at home, do nothing slobs, by villifying the Bidwills. Bickley doesn't have to guts to call out the real villians in this deal. How much money do you think these anti-Cardinals scumsuckers are donating to the Pat Tillman Foundation?

The fact these slobs couldn't sell out this game combined with the nerve of anyone to argue for lifting the blackout, represents the absolute worst in the history of Phoenix sports. The ceremony itself was beautiful and those that went got to witness something great. But those empty bleachers stand as accusation to a lot of worthless, lazy, cheap slobs in our community. Bickley's columns seem to serve it right up to this crowd every time.
excellent post.

i agree whole heartedly

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedViper said:

:notworthy

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
RedViper said:

:thumbup: :notworthy

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RedViper said:

:thumbup:

one question though... how does not attending the pats game make you a worthless, lazy, cheap slob?

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Clif, my point is, even if these people had to show up to cheer for the Pats, because they hate the Cards so much, there should have been enough people who would want to honor Pat to sell the place out. To me that ceremony should have been on par with the Lou Gehrig speech. Maybe thats a stretch, but when will we ever see a sports figure in that situation make that kind of sacrifice? May be going out on limb here, but I'm going to say well see a thousand Jamal Lewises before we'll even see another Pat Tillman. In a community as big as the valley, we shouldn't have had to go begging to fill the seats. And those that want to blame it all on the Bidwills and do nothing themselves are lower than scum in my book. Insert any adjectives you want. I have no use for them.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Cards are doing just fine in my book. They are losing the most money of all teams in the NFL and they don't sell much merchandise. The Cardinals also aren't making any money on the Tillman jerseys since the proceeds are going to Pat's foundation.

Frankly, they are making some sacrifice there because if we weren't buying Tillman jerseys, we would be buying Boldin and Fitzgerald jerseys.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RedViper said:
Clif, my point is, even if these people had to show up to cheer for the Pats, because they hate the Cards so much, there should have been enough people who would want to honor Pat to sell the place out. To me that ceremony should have been on par with the Lou Gehrig speech. Maybe thats a stretch, but when will we ever see a sports figure in that situation make that kind of sacrifice? May be going out on limb here, but I'm going to say well see a thousand Jamal Lewises before we'll even see another Pat Tillman. In a community as big as the valley, we shouldn't have had to go begging to fill the seats. And those that want to blame it all on the Bidwills and do nothing themselves are lower than scum in my book. Insert any adjectives you want. I have no use for them.
Now I certainly agree that people who want to do nothing more than blame bidwill for everything are nothing more than whiners, and I dont have patience for people who all they want to do it talk about how the team will never win and crap, but not all can be lumped into the same group though. I am sure there were many that could not go to the game for whatever reason, but that does not mean they did not want to honor Pat. They could have donated in many other ways. The issue of going or not going to the football game should be seperated from an type of tribute to Pat.

I personally went to the game and go to as many as I can afford, and or can get away going to since I have 2 young girls. Don't get me wrong I understand your point, but you made alot of generalizations about people because they were not there on Sunday that I think is a little rough.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Did anyone see Bickely's column yesterday?

What an attention grabbing ***** this hack is!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Is Bickley going to call out ASU for not doing more too? That hack takes any, any excuse to bash the Cardinals organization. :mad: