Cards looking at Fassel as a consultatn.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
From PFT:

CARDS LOOKING AT FASSEL AS A CONSULTANT

A league source tells us that the Arizona Cardinals are looking at the possibility of bringing in former Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel as an offensive consultant.

The move, in our view, could be part of a broader plan by the Bidwill family to get current coach Dennis Green to quit. Green likely will consider the addition of Fassel as a vote of no confidence in Green's ability to turn around a talented-but-terrible 1-7 team.

If Green quits, he gets no severance package. If they fire him, he's owed the balance of his contract, which runs through the end of the 2007 season.

Fassel, who preceded Tom Coughlin as the head coach of the Giants, previously served as the Cardinals' offensive coordinator, but he wasn't offered the head coaching job at the time that the vacant position went to Green.

This is Green's third season as the head coach. In the 87-year history of the franchise, the longest tenure of any coach with the team has been only six seasons.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be interesting. I am not convinced Fassel is any genius, but I do think he's been around enough smart people in his career that he knows a few things and could at least give us a new perspective. and having someone who's going to tell Denny what he thinks, not what he wants to hear, makes some sense.

I wouldn't want him to be the next coach but I'd be fine with him as a consultant. Green has a precedent here during his first season with the O struggling under first year OC Alex Wood, Green brought in a "offensive consultant" to help kickstart the offense. Now here we are with a first year OC and we're struggling, so history says Green should hire another consultant. So this time instead of bringing in poker buddy Carl Hargrave, we could bring in someone who's actually got the resume for the job.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From PFT:

CARDS LOOKING AT FASSEL AS A CONSULTANT

This is Green's third season as the head coach. In the 87-year history of the franchise, the longest tenure of any coach with the team has been only six seasons.

I have seen other sources sight the Cards as having been a franchise for 87 years. Where are they getting this 87 years crap. Try 108 years if my count is correct. The 1998 playoff team was the 100th year. Why did they wear that 100 patch on their uni's that year for???? Good grief. :mad:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 87-year history of the franchise, the longest tenure of any coach with the team has been only six seasons.

That's pretty shocking right there. Six seasons is very short. What is the average? 3? 4?

Part of the problem is in that...the other part is hiring the right guy at the wrong time, or the wrong guy at the wrong time, or giving up on a guy too early as they did with Bugel.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen other sources sight the Cards as having been a franchise for 87 years. Where are they getting this 87 years crap. Try 108 years if my count is correct. The 1998 playoff team was the 100th year. Why did they wear that 100 patch on their uni's that year for???? Good grief. :mad:

Good point.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's 108 in dog years.

The Shark

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

The team has been around since 1898. They have been a member of the NFL since 1920.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dennywould not be happy with the Cards bringing in Fassel as a consultant of any kind. Fassel would not be welcomed by Denny and his staff. His ego is to big to allow that. However he won't quit as he has a $2.5 million contract for next season. He is not going to give that up.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dennywould not be happy with the Cards bringing in Fassel as aconsultant of any kind. Fassel would not be welcomed by Denny and his staff. His ego is to big to allow that. However he won't quit as he has a $2.5 million contract for next season. He is not going to give that up.

and I wouldn't either.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fassell as consultant: Awesome. I think that's a really good move.

Fassell as HC: Ugh. I think this is likely to happen beause it's an awful idea.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Hmm...interesting. I heard once that Fassell was Mike B's first choice but Mr B would not approve it. Then they went to Denny as their second choice. Maybe we've come full circle??

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Didn't Baltimore's offense come to life after Billick took it over from Fassel?

Yes, but I think it had more to do with the personell Fassel had to work with to run the offense...also, Fassel was directed to run Billick's offense, not his own.

Kinda like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole...not gonna fit right.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I think it had more to do with the personell Fassel had to work with to run the offense...also, Fassel was directed to run Billick's offense, not his own.

Kinda like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole...not gonna fit right.

If the round hole is big enough it will.....

Not sure about this move (if it happens and he becomes coach). It may give us a couple more wins, but probably would bring us back to Cardinal medocrity (5-11 or 6-10)

chickenhead

Reaction score
I always liked that Fassell's NYG teams found a way to turn it on in the second half of the season when the local media thought they were dead and buried, and had a knack for must-win games. Credit to Fassell? I don't know, but it was just a world of difference from what I was watching as a Cardinals fan at the time.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The dude took a Kerry Collins lead team to the Super Bowl...that's the most amazing thing he's done in his career.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I always liked that Fassell's NYG teams found a way to turn it on in the second half of the season when the local media thought they were dead and buried, and had a knack for must-win games. Credit to Fassell? I don't know, but it was just a world of difference from what I was watching as a Cardinals fan at the time.

Wasn't it Fassel's NYG team that kicked the holy crap out of Denny's Vikings in the playoffs that one year? If so, I say bring in Fassel and pay him to mock Denny by chanting 41-0 over and over whenever Denny is in the office or on the practice field working with the scout team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it Fassel's NYG team that kicked the holy crap out of Denny's Vikings in the playoffs that one year? If so, I say bring in Fassel and pay him to mock Denny by chanting 41-0 over and over whenever Denny is in the office or on the practice field working with the scout team.

41-0 in 2000 Fassel beat Green. That would be funny, he could start every comment by saying "I noticed in 2000 when scouting for the game we won 41-0 that your teams tend to do XX. Or say I've noticed you tend to do such and such whenever you're in X formation, in fact it was stuff like that which allowed us to beat you 41-0 in 2000.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
41-0 in 2000 Fassel beat Green. That would be funny, he could start every comment by saying "I noticed in 2000 when scouting for the game we won 41-0 that your teams tend to do XX. Or say I've noticed you tend to do such and such whenever you're in X formation, in fact it was stuff like that which allowed us to beat you 41-0 in 2000.

Or:

"I noticed this team has quit on you just like that team you had when we beat you 41-0"